It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Just a quick notice since I’m getting some requests about it: I’m working on recalibrating Pod Clock (both iPhone and desktop version) for MOULagain. Apparently the built-in calibration based on observations from MOUL has diverged – I hear the predictions are about 25 minutes late, but I haven’t had a chance to observe any portals myself yet. Sunset in Payiferen is soon and that should give me a first point of reference. Once I have collected enough data for reliable predictions I’ll release an updated version.

However, keep in mind that Pod Clock is not primarily intended as a convenient cheat sheet to get the pod wedges with as little work as possible – if you use it to spoil the puzzle, that’s your own fault! It is intended as a research tool to help you solve the puzzle yourself. So take the new uncertainty as an incentive to do some research of your own and try to get accurate predictions by calibrating it yourself!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:42 am 
Obduction Backer

I was in Paviferen the other day using a portal calendar I had before in MOUL. It was pretty much right on, within a couple of minutes of the time in the portal calculator. So the one you designed for Iphone may be pretty close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

In another thread,
Nighthawk wrote:
Montgomery wrote:
CW, I'm very impressed with your Pod Clock for the iPhone....

Thanks for mentioning this Mongomery. Terrific app, Christian Walter!! I just d/l'ed it.
It looks like it's going to be incredibly useful. Now, to find the time for that first portal in Tetsonot.

Here's an idea for you. In the next version, how about adding an alarm function that you could set so you could wake up a few minutes before the portal event you are interested in. Or some predicted fauna sighting you think you might want to observe.

I realize there are plenty of ways to set an alarm for any desired time, but it would be nice to have multiple alarms tied together to this app in one handy package.

Way cool. Look forward to the next thing.

Thanks Nighthawk! You may have noticed that the desktop version does have an alarm, so I would obviously like to have that feature in the iPhone version too. The problem is that Apple doesn’t provide developers the possibility to set system-wide alarms (like those in the built-in alarm clock). So the only thing I could do would be an alarm that would only work as long as the device is on and the app is running, and that wouldn’t be very useful.

(I could use push notifications, but it would be a bit silly to rely on an online service for something as completely local as this, and I don’t have the server infrastructure for that anyway.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
Thanks Nighthawk! You may have noticed that the desktop version does have an alarm, so I would obviously like to have that feature in the iPhone version too. The problem is that Apple doesn’t provide developers the possibility to set system-wide alarms (like those in the built-in alarm clock). So the only thing I could do would be an alarm that would only work as long as the device is on and the app is running, and that wouldn’t be very useful.

(I could use push notifications, but it would be a bit silly to rely on an online service for something as completely local as this, and I don’t have the server infrastructure for that anyway.)

Understood. Too bad about the iPhone app SDK restrictions.

About the desktop version, I went to the site referenced in the iPhone app and have that on my comp, but couldn't see where there were any alarm features. Or is the desktop version totally different? If different, where can I download it. I think it would be useful to have on the desktop too.

Thanks in advance.

NH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, the desktop version is different from the iPhone version, but if I understand you correctly you already have it. The alarm setting (Notify me XX minutes before a portal opening) is right under the main display, as you can see on the screenshot on http://cw.kolleegium.ch/podclock/.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:15 pm 

This is absolutely exquisite. Fantastic work.

KI #140389 | Unbound Hearts | Twitter | Tumblr | Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't have an iPhone, but this is awesome! Great work :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:46 pm 

I do have an iPhone, and Marein pointed this out to me. Sounds fantastic; can't wait to see an update for MOULa. :)

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:03 pm 

Hey Christian,

Just wanted to say your App is now the single most treasured thing on my iphone. Now how do I explain to work that in 2 days and some odd hours I need to go home in the middle of my shift to catch a portal I missed several years ago due to bad timing. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:15 pm 

Being i-Phone-less, I'm jealous. Man, that looks cool. For the desktop, I love greypiffle's dynamic spreadsheet:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... 1UVE&hl=en

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
Yes, the desktop version is different from the iPhone version, but if I understand you correctly you already have it. The alarm setting (Notify me XX minutes before a portal opening) is right under the main display, as you can see on the screenshot on http://cw.kolleegium.ch/podclock/.

I did not have the desktop version, so thanks for the link. I just installed it. Kudos. Very nice and yes, I do see the alarm function. Hat's off to you CW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:46 am 

how is the recalibration coming along?

BTW, Negilan is about 11 min late, not sure about the others.

Jarun 00217662

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:37 am 

Ja'run wrote:
how is the recalibration coming along?

BTW, Negilan is about 11 min late, not sure about the others.
I went through Negilahn portal today and it was timed perfectly. Did you access the most recent website (release6) http://www.uru-reallife.com/dnidatetime/release6/map.html?

Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)
CT Hostess Susa'n KI#9122427 (member Cavern Tour's Hood)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:52 am 

The recal feature is a definant must have, after two years and some odd months I missed the Tetsnot portal because the Ipod Pod clock is a bit off.

Oh well next Neg calibration mark is in about twelve hours, nite. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:37 am 

*SPIT TAKE*

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next