It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:54 pm 

I have to say that the concept art really looks a lot like the canyons in Zion national park.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Kahlo had constant 100 mph winds. :shock: What would you have needed the creatures for? All you would have had to do to fly was wear some baggy clothes and jump up. Of course, landing would have been a bit more problematic. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:58 pm 

Don't forget Vika.

Vika was a test Age by Cyan to see how well the engine did with handling out door environments, some pics Vika

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:38 pm 

0.o
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

is that riven?

KI #12987306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:16 pm 

aloys wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
And now we know what Venalem would have looked like.

Ohhh!.. And an eight years old mystery is finally solved... :) I thought we would never know more about that sketch; this a really nice surprise.

Hey, not fair! *I* was the one who originally found out about Venalem!

Look: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 47&start=0

*cahem*

Awesome find, though. Congrats, Merle! I'll have some food for the thought for the next few days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

gmz1023 wrote:
0.o
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

is that riven?

Yes.

I'm probably mistaken, but isn't that from [spoiler]Rime at the end of realMyst?[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:32 pm 

gmz1023 wrote:
0.o
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

is that riven?

To reiterate what Malfhok said, the "huevo" and "vika" images were easter eggs hidden in Rime, which was a bonus age included in realMyst. Rime had a crystal viewer built by Atrus that allowed him to see other ages without going there. There was a way to set the crystal viewer with a series of codes so we could see shots of these very early versions of what would become Uru.

The final image of Riven in "huevo", however, was not an easter egg exactly, because the code to view it was given in a journal in the game. It was meant to provide a teaser of Riven, which chronologically, of course, comes right after realMyst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:10 pm 
Cyan Employee

MatthewH12 wrote:
After seeing all those sketches, it kinda makes me worry how much content Cyan has thrown out, or given up on that had they had been designing for Uru.

You might want to look here to get some idea of what was in the pipeline when the first Uru Live was shut down. Long ago, I posted a translation of what the various DRC phases mean describing how far through production they were. Some like Kahlo were suspended for technical reasons, e.g., waiting for technical improvements to be become available. So the Age _looks_ great in screenshots, but none of the gameplay was actually working.

Many of the Ages were ambitious as we were getting ready to ramp up to a larger production staff shortly after launch. That, as we all know, didn't happen. So, the Ages that were very close to being finished were altered slightly to make the Path of the Shell and To D'ni expansions. Other Ages in the pipeline that could be re-purposed and finished with our then current staff were finished for Myst V.

When GameTap brought Myst Online back, it was for a much smaller budget, and we had an even smaller staff than for Myst V. New Ages had to be things we could do with what we had in a relatively short span of time.

But all those older, more ambitious Ages still sit, waiting for the day when we can finish them. Which is why we haven't given up on Uru, and why we repeatedly say that we still have stories to tell here. We haven't given up on these Ages, either. We're just waiting for the resources to do them.

Someday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Re: Rawa's Post

Which is probably why artists that have worked for Cyan haven't released any of the unused art they did - Cyan is still retaining the rights to the artwork, hoping to use it someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

I know I don't know how cyan works behind the scenes. But why not head to publishers to publish an URU-2. Using your new updated version of the engine and getting a team behind it.

I'd do anything to see that happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is URU 2 (plus a few!) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:35 pm 

Rusty_Russell wrote:

technologically isn't this uru 3? (or four if you count UU)

KI #12987306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:45 pm 

RAWA wrote:
MatthewH12 wrote:
After seeing all those sketches, it kinda makes me worry how much content Cyan has thrown out, or given up on that had they had been designing for Uru.

You might want to look here to get some idea of what was in the pipeline when the first Uru Live was shut down. Long ago, I posted a translation of what the various DRC phases mean describing how far through production they were. Some like Kahlo were suspended for technical reasons, e.g., waiting for technical improvements to be become available. So the Age _looks_ great in screenshots, but none of the gameplay was actually working.

Many of the Ages were ambitious as we were getting ready to ramp up to a larger production staff shortly after launch. That, as we all know, didn't happen. So, the Ages that were very close to being finished were altered slightly to make the Path of the Shell and To D'ni expansions. Other Ages in the pipeline that could be re-purposed and finished with our then current staff were finished for Myst V.

When GameTap brought Myst Online back, it was for a much smaller budget, and we had an even smaller staff than for Myst V. New Ages had to be things we could do with what we had in a relatively short span of time.

But all those older, more ambitious Ages still sit, waiting for the day when we can finish them. Which is why we haven't given up on Uru, and why we repeatedly say that we still have stories to tell here. We haven't given up on these Ages, either. We're just waiting for the resources to do them.

Someday...

Can you at least tell us a bit about some of those "older, more ambitious Ages"? I mean, it's already been nearly 7 years of waiting, and for some of them we don't know anything besides their names (Datahmnay and Kalamee); as for the others, we know pretty much nothing (Pirahnay, Rebek, etc.). Can you - or someone else at Cyan - tell us anything about them, specially Datahmnay and Kalamee?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:19 am 

Rusty_Russell wrote:

In terms of storyline, I always thought of Myst V as having the unwritten subtitle Uru II. I'm sure this has been brought up a million times before, but if gametap had continued, does anyone know if there would have been any chance of seeing Myst V content in Uru? I know K'veer got in, but what about the Ages? Or would there have been rights issues attached to that?

And thanks Rawa, that was a very informative post :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:57 am 

RAWA wrote:

Someday...

I'm quite confident that someday will happen given the amount of fan support -- even after all these years. Uru is simply a unique experience which has never, in my very humble opinion, been duplicated. I'm also sure that if it becomes possible to fund the ages through a second paid expansion to the game or a subscription fee, many of us would be willing to pitch in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next