It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:25 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:34 pm 

For those of you who have not been to the pub recently, I wish to advise you that if you are easily upset about people being superbly disrespectful of our friends who have passed on, you may wish to avoid it for the time being.

The reason being, someone hacked the files containing the names.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I may never understand why people insist on being horrible but at least when I die, I will die knowing I am not as big of an *** as the person who did this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is terrible (and real, I just went in to check). Hope Cyan will fix it when they wake up.

For now, does anyone have a record of the names that were on there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Phil Henderson, Wheely, Rose, CA Gray Fox, Carpenter, Ramsine, Pehpsi, jahuti, JDrake, & Dustdei Rhodes. Those are the ones I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:17 pm 

I hope if they can find who did this, that they will be banned forever. I am very sad and disgusted to see such disrespect, but even worse, i am afraid for what damage such malicious people can do to other things in the Cavern. This is the danger to all of the selfish talk and aggressive attacks on Cyan, on the world of URU and the disisents we have had to listen to for months now on these forums and others pushing over and over for Open Source at any cost and people trying to grab control of parts of MOUL rather than just enjoy what we have. This sort of angry and selfish and immature action risks everything for all of us.

It is time to clean house and throw some people out for the good of all and set some rules of conduct and decency here and for the future.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:29 pm 

CrisGer, I'd be hesitant to "blame" the dissident talk and open source pushers for this. They want the material, but so they can add content, not debase it. This is more like a stupid teenage prank/vandalism, where someone who plays (or even doesn't, for all we know) hacked the server and saw a list of names, changed it to be "clever" and got a good guffaw out of it. The tragedy is that they probably didn't know the significance of the names, while a good number of us understand that only some of the names on there are IC characters. I don't say this to clear anyone of blame, just to give an alternative perspective. I hope the memorial gets back to normal soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

This isn't just very disrespectful, but also a major security leak. :shock: Apparently someone can alter the vault! (At least, I assume the names are stored in the vault.) If the leak isn't found, then Uru isn't safe any more.

CrisGer, I hope you don't mean the things you say. This is exactly why there was a thread called "Paranoia lives". There are people that really like to contribute to Uru and therefore would like Uru to become open-source. Even Cyan wants to move towards open-source and to get fan-made Ages into Uru. Open-source has nothing to do with what is said in this topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:50 pm 

This is the act of someone, whether they knew what the memorial was for or not, wanted to do this deliberately to seek attention. I don't see it as a stupid teenage prank/vandalism for laughs at all. This sorry attempt at attention getting by someone who thinks they are 'smart' is very lame and in reality this is someone pretty lacking in common sense. The fact the names were there says the memorial was of some significance even to a casual passerby. I equate this to the moral desolation of kicking over tombstones and, yes, whomever did it should be banned not only for descecrating the memorial but also for the hacking that was done. Shame on the person who did this because I don't think they are man or woman enough to stand up and admit to what they did.

SL:
DMom2K Darwin

Currently residing in Guild Wars2 with DudeDad and trying to play Watch Dogs
Citizen of the Metaverse and oh, yeah, The Dude abides....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is to understand that some of you are very emotional about this but let us not point fingers to others.
Please all try to keep this topic civil.

Cyan is working on bringing back the memorial to normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

I did not realise that this was a memorial. How sad that it's been tampered with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:16 pm 

Unfortunately the stupidity will never be fought enough, even in a virtual world.

I'm sure Cyan will recover the memorial soon, in the meantime I suspect this hacking the responsible of the Ki malfunctions me and other hood's friends are experiencing in the last days, such as the lists not updating at all with the inability to chat, unless in the same age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just double-checking... did the memorial contain the correct information before this? (Since MOUL came back online?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes Rev.
There were made some pictures from the memorial during the Memorial Gathering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, It was correct in February, Rev, when we held the memorial, just after MOULagain opened.

And appears the memorial has been restored. :)

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:00 pm 

before we go pointing fingers, are we absolutely sure this was not a glitch? i find it doubtful that anything on the mo:ul servers was hacked, and i suspect it was a glitch much like the missing text in sharper's journal is. on a separate note, isn't it about time phil henderson's name was removed from the memorial since he is, in fact, not dead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:08 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Though his body lives, last seen, Phil was pretty much brain dead. Maybe just change the listing to "Phend's Brain".

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next