It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:08 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: General Restoration
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:32 am 

Suggestion for a Cyan+Explorers way to add to the game.

There are various places where the Restoration was never finished. There are even places that users could use, but can't due to limitations (be it clip or debris or otherwise).

I think that, at least going forward and heading towards complete OS, Cyan should allow Explorers to "clean up" a few key locations.

Let me give a few examples:

Joint Expansion 1: Guilds and the City

Added: Allow Explorers to come into the various DRC tents in the city and be able to use the tables. Allow them to sit down and use the tables. An easy way to do this without having explorers abuse it is through the Guild Pubs. Keep the clip in front of the tents keeping people out, but remove many of the crates inside. Leave a Pedastal which provides a Link back from a Guild Pub to its connected tent.

E.g. Writers' Pub has one of the curtains open now. A stone pedastal holds a Linking Book to the Tent near Tokotah in Ae'gura. This way, only people "affiliated" with the Guilds can get in.

(I understand people could still abuse this, but I think that our userbase is a little more mature than that).

Joint Expansion 2: The Slow Restoration of the Kahlo Pub

Added: Weekly or Bi-monthly changes to the Kahlo Pub, slowly building it up to complete restoration with a fully-working Nexus terminal. Why, you ask? It provides a more friendly and condensed place for people to gather rather than out in the open spaces of Ae'gura which are often too large for their own good.

How do we "slowly" rebuild Kahlo? Simple.

Step 1: Remove the debris blocking the main entrance + remove one or two pieces of debris inside
Step 2: Add handrails down into the path + remove debris on path
Step 3: Begin putting the tables back into place with one or two working seats
Step 4: Reconnect the imager against the wall and add more hanging lights
Step 5: Remove remaining debris + put more seats in place
Step 6: Add a Nexus Pedastal outside, right next to the pillar at the entrance

This way, people can meet and converse on a more personal level, and the Cavern continues to change.

Joint Expansion 3: Add "Outdoor" View Station to Pods (except one locked in Tetsonot)

Added: From the third floor of each of the pods, ladders shoot up which lead to a large, circular platform on top with telescopes at compass point directions. This doesn't "change" anything in the game, and all that is added is a nicer and more effective way to enjoy the wonders of the Pod Age without breaking loose and letting us "roam" outside with the animals.

Joint Expansion 4: Spyroom Part 2

Added: A tablet in Teledahn's initial link-in sitting on the table where a book outline is seen which links to the room seen in Sharper's Spyroom. Might contains small pieces of concept art, perhaps Sharper's old journals and additional space for possible future books.

Again, some of these ideas may not be possible, idea four was an idea of my friend's, but I still think that this would be a way for Cyan to "repay" us for our support while not forcing them to do massive amounts of work on their end.

These fixes are small yet noticeable and would provide more for the community as we slowly more towards Open Source.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:14 am 

Much enjoyed this idea. Im very new to MO:UL but played through CC and all previous renditions of Myst so I have a feel for whats going on.

Perhaps one way both Cyan and the explorers could work together would be that for every time we keep the CAVCON at 5 for an set amount of time ( ie two months or whatever) we get one new link or one restored area within the next three months.

Really love the idea of restoring the Pub. Going deeper into the city would be wonderful aswell (perhaps via the path of the great stairs)

Just some thoughts.
Thanks for posting this Nek'rahm!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:41 am 

Personal opinion on the kahlo pub: I think it would be better if it would stay on the ruins. Never liked the physical restoration idea, it doesn't make much sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Except the whole point was to restore D'ni to how it used to be and stuff, so restoring the Kahlo Pub makes perfect sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:13 pm 

Yeah I never liked this point very much :P

I mean... where else have you seen archaeologists *restoring* some ancient ruins?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:32 pm 

A few good ideas there. Not quite sure how the tent one would work out... or even if adding the Spyroom in Tokotah would serve a purpose without the DRC down in D'ni or with Cyan adding new content.

But good ideas in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

ThedStranger wrote:

I mean... where else have you seen archaeologists *restoring* some ancient ruins?

Except it's not just about archeology, everyone is in D'ni for different reasons, some it's archeology, some it's to restore, some to learn, some to actually live there.

It takes many forms, Egyptian temples have been unearthed, they then repair it to a degree for people to see. The English Heritage group does the same thing with old mansions/castles etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:40 pm 

ThedStranger wrote:

:shock: I suspect because then they would have to put the 1,000 year old bourbon on the self rather than drink it...

There are times when it is just more fun to play with things... Fun is the point of Uru not total faithfulness to RL.

However, you do have a good point. I would just rather have a party place than a museum. Since I doubt Cyan will let us change it... it probably only matters on Open Uru shards.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:54 pm 

Quote:
Except it's not just about archeology, everyone is in D'ni for different reasons, some it's archeology, some it's to restore, some to learn, some to actually live there.

Well I wanna say that from everything I've seen the DRC is an archeological group, but than it'll sound like I'm dictating my opinion, so I won't :P

Quote:
There are times when it is just more fun to play with things... Fun is the point of Uru not total faithfulness to RL.

Well I'm just having more fun playing as the explorer who explores a long lost city lying in the ruins, than thinking I'm a D'ni and partying in a restored D'ni pub. But that's just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:17 am 

ThedStranger wrote:
Well I'm just having more fun playing as the explorer who explores a long lost city lying in the ruins, than thinking I'm a D'ni and partying in a restored D'ni pub. But that's just me.

We have explored the City and ages. Seems reasonable to clean up the place, stock the shelves, bring in the DJ, and have a party.

We have this odd mix of leaving things as they are and changing things. We decorate for holidays and fix things to get them running, but we won't clean up the pub and have a party... We take over Kirel... bringing down tables and boxes of shirts...

As explorers coming down from the surface, there are lots of things we would be likely to have brought down. Seems reasonable to see more new things there.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:47 pm 

I don't mind machines being restored (only if they need to be restored, like elevators), rubble cleaned up, and I don't mind tables, cones and other human stuff around, but completely restoring the pub seems useless to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:11 pm 

ThedStranger wrote:
I don't mind machines being restored (only if they need to be restored, like elevators), rubble cleaned up, and I don't mind tables,, cones and other human stuff around, but completely restoring the pub seems useless to me.

The only thing really "wrong" with the Kahlo Pub right now is its structural integrity. Apart from that, all that there would be to "restore it" would be to, as you said:

Remove rubble from the entrance, hallway and pub room
Increase the strength and number of the lights
Re-initialize the imagers
Rebuild and repair the fallen tables

So... yeah... "restoring" the pub would be doing exactly what you said would be okay :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:29 pm 

Sorry, you misread my post. Read it again:

Quote:
I don't mind machines being restored (only if they need to be restored, like elevators), rubble cleaned up, and I don't mind tables, cones and other human stuff around, but completely restoring the pub seems useless to me.

I said I don't mind things restored, only if they are needed. Like, critical. For example, I imagine some of the elevators we see didn't work, and than they were restored by the DRC, because they were needed to get from level to level.

Quote:

I don't mind that, but not too much. Only the rubble which really makes exploration harder.

Quote:

This is not critical, because this is not some DRC office or such places where lights are really needed. I wouldn't mind some lights fixed, but only if it's subtle. The lights as they are today are mostly fine by my standarts, but I understand if people want to make it a meeting place and would like some more lights. But again: *subtle*. Keep the authenticity of the place (ruined).

Quote:

Not critical, uneeded at the pub. I don't mind if one of them are restored but keep the others ruined.

Quote:

Uneeded at the pub. You misread my post, I believe. I didn't say "I don't mind machines being restored...rubble cleaned up, and I don't mind tables", I said "and I don't mind tables, cones and other human stuff around". So yeah, it sounds strange, but I'm fine with DRC tables brought down, just keep the original ones broken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:10 pm 

ThedStranger wrote:
Sorry, you misread my post. Read it again:

Quote:

I said I don't mind things restored, only if they are needed. Like, critical. For example, I imagine some of the elevators we see didn't work, and than they were restored by the DRC, because they were needed to get from level to level.

Quote:

I don't mind that, but not too much. Only the rubble which really makes exploration harder.

Quote:

This is not critical, because this is not some DRC office or such places where lights are really needed. I wouldn't mind some lights fixed, but only if it's subtle. The lights as they are today are mostly fine by my standarts, but I understand if people want to make it a meeting place and would like some more lights. But again: *subtle*. Keep the authenticity of the place (ruined).

Quote:

Not critical, uneeded at the pub. I don't mind if one of them are restored but keep the others ruined.

Quote:

Uneeded at the pub. You misread my post, I believe. I didn't say "I don't mind machines being restored...rubble cleaned up, and I don't mind tables", I said "and I don't mind tables, cones and other human stuff around". So yeah, it sounds strange, but I'm fine with DRC tables brought down, just keep the original ones broken.

Sorry mate, the way your post read, it was kind of ambiguous. I just interpreted things weird, and it came off as self-contradictory at spots. :D

My personal belief with the Kahlo Pub is that Ae'gura doesn't have a general "hang around" or "meeting place" location. The Tokotah entrance and DRC tent work well enough right now, but it's often unorganized and too open for its own good.

I think restoring the pub and putting a Nexus Terminal right next to the Imager outside the pub would do wonders for the game, even if it was a small thing, in that it would give people a place to organize and relax, and even idle if they so choose in an environment where people can go if they want to just talk in a relatively calming environment.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]