It is currently Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
If Cyan wanted to, they could simply go back and write in the stuff they wanted to happen they way they wanted it to happen, and ignore Myst V (they even established that Myst V was a GAME, and not to be taken literally).
They can't. You've missed the point of my post. Myst V is a part of the MO:UL timeline now. I suggest that you read up on this on the DRC site. It's the reason for Yeesha's appearance as a hologram both times at the end of the prime ages, for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:58 pm 

Exactly. They preprared the terrain for Myst V in URU:CC. It is officialy canon to the series. And anything in it cannot go into MOUL unless Ubi gives the green light. And I very much doubt they ever will part with the legal rights they have to Myst V's content. Both ages, story and events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cyan didn't rule out the Myst V ages reappearing (that would be MO:RE), but the story is told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:07 pm 

Yes but the point is that even if they wanted to tell the story again or change it they couldn't. The only reason we have MOULa at this moment is because gametap gave the legal rights they had over URU back to cyan. So cyan can do whatever they wan't with that content. Everything on Myst V is a diferent matter. It is still propriety of Ubi. And cyan cannot implement any part of its contents onto URU without Ubi parting with the legal rights they hold on Myst V matterial back to Cyan.

There are some things like K'veer and a part of the great shaft we can get. But that is only because that was already in Uru before Myst V came to be. There is no way in the world that any part of those ages can be put in Uru without Ubi consent. Just because Uru content was set for Open sourcing doesn't mean things after it can too. They are not currently part of cyans propriety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:20 pm 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Quote:
If Cyan wanted to, they could simply go back and write in the stuff they wanted to happen they way they wanted it to happen, and ignore Myst V (they even established that Myst V was a GAME, and not to be taken literally).
They can't. You've missed the point of my post. Myst V is a part of the MO:UL timeline now. I suggest that you read up on this on the DRC site. It's the reason for Yeesha's appearance as a hologram both times at the end of the prime ages, for example.

Not to belabor my point, but No, Cyan did NOT establish Myst V as a definitive part of the timeline. They did, however establish the events on which the Myst V game was based as a part of the timeline. The game itself, and all of it's nifty bits were (for the sake of gameplay universe at least) "artistic license" and were not to be taken as absolute fact. Thus Cyan could change anything and everything that occured in Myst V if they so desired, because it should be considered a "game based on stories of events", and not the events themselves...

The truth is, the whole shooting match is a giant game and if Cyan wants to change it, Cyan can change it. Period. If we want to play in their universe, we need to just accept that fact and have some fun (which we were doing here speculating about cool ideas like the Noloben-Watcher's Sanctuary connection etc.)

KI: 03390194

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:26 pm 

zehl wrote:
Yes but the point is that even if they wanted to tell the story again or change it they couldn't. The only reason we have MOULa at this moment is because gametap gave the legal rights they had over URU back to cyan. So cyan can do whatever they wan't with that content. Everything on Myst V is a diferent matter. It is still propriety of Ubi. And cyan cannot implement any part of its contents onto URU without Ubi parting with the legal rights they hold on Myst V matterial back to Cyan.

There are some things like K'veer and a part of the great shaft we can get. But that is only because that was already in Uru before Myst V came to be. There is no way in the world that any part of those ages can be put in Uru without Ubi consent. Just because Uru content was set for Open sourcing doesn't mean things after it can too. They are not currently part of cyans propriety.

Because of a rather rare forthought on Cyan's part, those publishing rights revert back to Cyan after a specified time, thus allowing Cyan to do whatever they want with those properties (a really unusual thing these days, as most publishers retain the publishing rights forever). If this were not true we would most certainly not have Ahnonay, or Er'cana or the Watcher's Pub (all published by Ubisoft). Yes, the engine is different, but the intellectual property and assets are exactly the same as they were from Uru ABM. If you want more info on this fact and a lot more really cool stuff about the underworkings of Uru, check out the Guild of Writers. 8)

KI: 03390194

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Not to belabor my point, but No, Cyan did NOT establish Myst V as a definitive part of the timeline.
Prove it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:29 pm 

Any ideas how long?

Like how many years?

Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom

member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent

"I invented the term the Bevin Generation do I get a spot in Mystlore?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:33 pm 

Latharion wrote:
Because of a rather rare forthought on Cyan's part, those publishing rights revert back to Cyan after a specified time, thus allowing Cyan to do whatever they want with those properties (a really unusual thing these days, as most publishers retain the publishing rights forever).

Yes that is very unusual. Good for Cyan! But the point now goes from they can't ever do it. To how far in the future can they do it? Because we have seen from Drizzle that taking Myst V ages into URU's engine isn't hard at all. The rest of the gameplay would have to be tweeked. But still at least, if cyan wanted, they could release everything as they first intended (the story in Myst V being the continuation of URU's first season) with little work.
So anyone has any info on the timeline for the revert of the rights for Cyan? I had long ago forgot all the dreams I had since the first time i played Myst V of ever seeing it part of URU. Now there is light at the end of the tunnel.. Just hope I don't get all excited over nothing... xD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've heard stories told that the rights to MystV have already "reverted" back to Cyan.

EDIT: also note, that many of the MystV locations were /originally intended/ for Uru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:41 pm 

That might be true since I haven't found anything searching in Ubi home page about myst V other than some forum posts.. If they no longer have it on they site probably does not belong to them anymore..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lotharion, the authority is RAWA.

http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?p=9043#9043

http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?p=9063#9063

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:04 pm 

I read RAWA's posts there that still suggests the Ages could be returned it would just no longer be the quest for the Tablet... I mean they could still bring in the Seer's and change it around a bit and it would still be a very fun Journey... Just not quite as... epic as it was before.

Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom

member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent

"I invented the term the Bevin Generation do I get a spot in Mystlore?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Discussion of copyright expiration dates and Cyan's possible plans for repurposing material seems to be irrelevant to this thread which was intended to speculate about what was originally planned for the Watcher's Sanctuary...

Loshem wrote:
We all know where the tree led in the offline version of Uru but Ive been speculating for a good while about where it would have led in MOUL or where it may have been originally intended to lead (assuming MOUL is at least close to the original plan for what ended up in the expansions)
The following images speak for themselves
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
That last image is certainly the most interesting. Thoughts?

Whether it can ever happen or not now, I still find it interesting to speculate about what the original plans might have been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:10 pm 

Yes but the tablets probably weren't supposed to be used like they are in Myst V if the story had been told through uru... the implementation of those tablets into uru's engine would require a major change in gameplay and mechanics... If they had released the story in URU you probably wouldn't have had the tablets anyway.. Not like in Myst V.. They would probably be parts of that rotating thing in relto.. And the final tablet would probably be something like the bahro pilars..
They way we used the tablets in Myst V was just a way of making it compeling.. New.. Since it was no longer URU new ways of doing those ages that weren't available in URU could be used.

Don't forget that although uru and myst use basicly the same game engine, there were a lot of changes to the engine for the myst V version.. The possibilities that the slates give was just one of those changes.