It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:39 pm 

So I haven't played a Myst game in years, I really don't remember much and I don't know the details of the whole evolving Myst story over the years. I'm a little intimidated by URU Live because of this.

How important is past Myst or URU knowledge in order to play URU Live?

Can someone give me a summary of what the Myst story is all about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:44 pm 

No need to be intimidated.

This is a brief recap posted by one of our kind members
http://drcsite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1163

I hope you decide to stick around :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'd proberbly recommend playing Myst 5 as it relates closely to Uru. Can find info on the Myst games at www.dnijazzclub.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

If you want to play another game in the series, that's great, but you don't need to. I see there is a recap provided (a couple of posts above this) which is good. Without playing any of the other games, I think Uru Live is fairly understandable. Think "restoring an ancient hidden city" and "there are issues" with said restoration!

If you want to find out what happened to Atrus and his family, Myst IV is a great game, but you should only play it if you want to.

Welcome to the forum, and please stick around!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:36 pm 

Legolas813 wrote:
I'm a little intimidated by URU Live because of this.

Don't be, one of the main points of Uru was that you didn't need any prior knowledge of Myst.

KI #00072427[Kedry]
"Conjecture is not fact, and opinion is not fact, and no matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true." - Shaun Lyon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:32 pm 

Why don't you sign up for Gametap(where Uru live will be) and try Myst, Riven and Exile for free... this way you'll have time to catch up ;)

"When you want your message out in the cavern, use the Guild of Messengers."

Andros KI: #265443 Kalypso Ki: #5962956

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Uru ties in quite closely with the mythos of Myst and Riven... If you play Myst and Riven, you'll have a few more "A ha!" moments while playing Uru.

There's a bit of connective tissue with Myst III...

But I wouldn't say any of them are necessary for understanding and appreciating Uru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:00 am 
Obduction Backer

then think about other players with you and new things added to the game and that will be what Live will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:04 am 

Just to clarify, I have been a Gametap member for 3-4 months. I just started playing URU: Ages Beyond Myst. I also own the Myst 10th Anniversary Edition (Myst I-III). I've beaten Myst and Riven, but it's been a while so I don't remember much of what it's all about. And I really don't have the time or desire to go back and play/replay any of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:08 am 

Legolas813 wrote:
[..] I really don't have the time or desire to go back and play/replay any of them.

Hm, well, Uru Live will definitely be playable without any background knowledge. But the thing is, the more you understand (and have a desire to understand) the storyline details, the more involved you will be able to get with the game. A superficial approach sure is possible, but it may not be anywhere near as enjoyable.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:10 am 

If you play Myst V, you'll find that there's a short recap of the events of Mysts I through IV. Besides, the events of Myst V have taken place just last year, according to the DRC page, so you'll probably want to find out what happens there anyway.

For a very short summary:

Myst: Trap Atrus' sons and free Atrus from his prison in d'ni.
Riven: Trap Gehn and free Catherine from Riven.
Exile: Recover the stolen linking book to Releeshahn, the new home for the d'ni.
Revelation: Find out which of Atrus' sons has kidnapped Atrus' young daughter, and decide whether either of them can be trusted to help you.

As far as we know, all the Uru:ABM content will be in Uru Live, though not necessary to do immediately, and the Path of the Shell content will be eventually included also. We're not sure, though, how the Myst V stuff will work out.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm a fanatic on this - I think you can play Uru live perfectly well without having played any of the other games. It's your entry point into the world. It's an online game. I think that will be no small number of people focusing on what the world looks like now, and what there is to do now. Any history can come as a natural part of playing the game.

I never recommend that people start the series by playing 10 year old games, unless of course they want to! If you do - that's nice, you can play them through gametap, for those who get gametap in their part of the world. Myst is quite possibly my favorite game of all time, but that's me - it doesn't have to be you!

I'll also see if I can do some extremely short summaries myself.

The link above to the history of Uru - I looked at it, and I think it's pretty good.

I remember reading some write-ups on the whole history of the game worlds, including the story of Atrus and his family. I'll look around and see if I can post some links. I think I remember Alahamnat doing one, but you know, I'm not sure. There's a whole bunch of Myst series game sites out there - there has to be a good summary of the whole thing, somewhere!

Thanks all - you've just given me a reminder of what I think I need to do before Uru Live goes out in the world!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

here is a good place to go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst_franchise