It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lake Lighting
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Mod note: Split from Ae'gura Imager thread. This post was made in reply to this comment:
Loshem wrote:
That is precisely what the "light the lake" and "Great Zero Calibration" projects were. Lighting the lake is still ongoing.. but the Zero is calibrated and turned on so that event is past.

I thought the pellets did nothing to light the lake, so while still ongoing, it's not too useful. Right? :?

Last edited by dragossh on Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:14 am 

There is a script in place that gradually increases the overall brightness of the cavern. Load up CC and have a look around Ae'gura and then come on MOULa and look for those same dark corners. The current level of light is capped at a certain percentage because the effect is supposed to be gradual. When the lake is fully lit there are several texture swaps that will take place adding reflections and other effects to areas like the floor tiles. In order to complete the lake lighting project those files must be made and implemented so until they are the light is capped at its current maximum.
So in response to whether or not pellets help with light, the answer is yes they do. But only up to a certain point where they stop working (which is where we are now). Once those new files are implemented the cap will be removed and the light will continue to increase gradually until the maximum at which point the cycle of darkness and light will begin. It isnt speculation, a few shards during UU had set the lake brightness up well beyond what it is currently capped at.

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:29 am 

So it *was* actually working? I have to admit I hadn't noticed. That's good to know, Loshem, thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Like on here? :D

I guess it's a matter of a setting switch, at which point the new textures will be loaded. Now that sounds like a good idea to increase the logins :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Again, complete and utter tripe, Loshem. The lake light levels were never hooked up to the pellet points.

CC /is/ darker than MOUL. but.. it has been from the start.

There is no script, and pellets have no effect.

Last edited by kaelisebonrai on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
kaelisebonrai wrote:
The lake light levels were never hooked up to the pellet points.

There is no script, and pellets have no effect.

I'm... heartbroken. :cry:

Maybe it's time to move this thread to the Spoilers section, or better yet, to the Open Source section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:33 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Take it from me, Pellet Points and the data supplied by Dr. Watson that none of you are quite correct and the pellets can have an effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm sure that its /possible/ that the numbers might be stored somewhere, waiting for someone to flip a switch... one day.

But.. its not hooked up. And you know that just as well as I do, Mr. Platt.

But, this does not mean they have any effect. =) the numbers get stored, but.. that's not an effect. =P

There are, however, sdl values, which would be a flipping of a switch, as it were. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:43 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

The pellets can have an effect and the efforts are worthwhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

without evidence to back that up, your words are empty, Mr. Platt.

If in the entire time the pellet project has been going, there has been no appreciable change, it is VERY easy to suggest that there is no effect, and that the effect requires a flipping of a switch, much like the GZ project did.

So, if you are so willing to urge that there IS an effect, (while you have a personal project whose success *depends* on the acceptance of such statements and urgings), please, enlighten us as to these effects, and just how they are happening. Because looking at the prps, the python, and the SDL... I'm not so convinced.

Give us evidence, not empty words. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shall make a rare post here.

Loshem wrote:
Kahlo was very far along in its development and is likely to be completed eventually when we get to cavcon 5. The Age is essentially finished in terms of art and design but nothing in it actually works currently.

Kahlo was no where near being ready for release. The Age contains old possibly outdated models, we don't even know what plasma build the existing screenshots were taken on. Not to mention the wiring for the Age wasn't done, building the Age is the easy part, the wiring is where the fun and games begin.

dragossh wrote:
Like on here? :D

I guess it's a matter of a setting switch, at which point the new textures will be loaded. Now that sounds like a good idea to increase the logins :P

Not really, Patch had a tendency to run his screenshots through an editing software and increase the contrast to brighten them up (like many other people unfortunately do).

JWPlatt wrote:
The pellets can have an effect and the efforts are worthwhile.

I'm guessing what JWPlatt is getting at is there is a possible avenue for the pellets to have effect at some point in time, and not to be discouraged and continue dropping pellets for if (however unlikely in my opinion) the lake water does brighten.

But as it stands, last thing I heard was the wiring for the lake to actually brighten wasn't implemented and screenshot comparisons have shown the cavern is the same light level as it has been before it all started.

My concern here is that Cyan will do a GZ Calibration again and just flick it on instead of making it gradual when they are in a position to implement it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:35 pm 

Joe Explorer: (walking along the dock) I don't see anything yet

Jane Explorer: (via KI) I haven't dropped the pellet yet. Here we go...

All of a suddened the Cavern switches to full brightness

Joe: Ah! My eyes! What recipe did you use !?!

Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom

member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent

"I invented the term the Bevin Generation do I get a spot in Mystlore?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:23 pm 

The pellets might have an effect on an out-of-game value which may eventually be used to turn on the lake light.

Bottom line: We need a goal. How many x-number of pellet points are needed to begin restoring the lake? Platt, be honest and advocate this instead of making excuses for the activities you once railed against. You are being needlessly coy.

Also, you have still not replied to my PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree, we need a goal. Also, we need to know if it's easy for Cyan to flip the switch on this or make it a gradual process. I guess it's really a matter of a setting or two, if shards had increased brightness in the Cavern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I just need one question answered by RAWA: is the problem with the lake lighting an IC issue or OOC issue; is it on our end or Cyan's? In other words, have we overlooked a piece of the puzzle or has Cyan not provided all the pieces we need to complete the puzzle? A one word answer would suffice: It's either the First or the Latter.