It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Are you interested in seeing the Prologue video project completed?
Yes please, and I'd like to help as an editor! 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
Yes please, and I'd like to help as translator! 8%  8%  [ 12 ]
Yes please, and I'd like to be on film (I'd like to be an actor)! 16%  16%  [ 23 ]
Yes, although the only contribution I can offer is vocal support. 62%  62%  [ 88 ]
No, this does not interest me. 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
Other, see explanation below. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 142
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Are you interested in seeing The Great Tree's Prologue Documentary project completed, bringing the story of Uru Prologue to life for future and past explorers to experience?

This is a poll to determine the viability of resuming a video project related to the storyline of Uru Live.

+++ Clarification 27-Jun-2010: The first item in the poll should say "script editor", not just "editor". +++

The History of the Great Tree: Documentaries of the Uru Live Prologue (2003) is a set of video episodes that recreate the drama and story from Uru Live Prologue, originally conceived as a way to introduce D'mala and Myst Online players to the history they had missed. Eight of twelve proposed episodes were complete when I shelved the project in January 2008 in response to the announcement that Myst Online: Uru Live would be shutting down. Until now, I have had neither the energy nor the opportunity to resume the project.

The response to the project when it was active was phenomenal; many participants in Myst Online showed up to the announced filming sessions to help make these videos a reality. It is truly a community project - although it takes just one person to put the videos together, the video project needs script editors*, translators, and most of all, actors who can play the parts of important persons who may not be here today to reprise their past roles.

The eight videos that were completed are still available at http://rel.to/prologue . If you have never heard of this project before, I ask you to please take a look at what has already been done before voting. I need to know if people are interested in seeing this project resumed to completion. It takes 1 to 1.5 months to produce an episode, so if I were to resume work now, it would probably take until the year's end to complete. My availability to work on the project will likely fluctuate, but if I commit to finish, I will stay on it to the end. If resumed, video filming will usually take place on weekends when it is easiest to draw a crowd, although there may be some scenes requiring just a few participants that might be filmed at other hours. Filming opportunities would be announced in the Cavern Events subforum, the Messengers' calendar, and the Guild of Greeters' calendar. Completed videos would be announced in the Creativity subforum.

In addition to the main poll, I am also curious how many people responding have/haven't heard of the Prologue project before, so in replying I would appreciate a show of hands.

If you have questions, please address them in a private message - click the "pm" button below this message.

(* All scripts are based on accurate, historical records. For the original English script, the logs may be edited for brevity, but this editing is not permitted to change the meaning or tone of things that were said, nor insert new language. Translations are allowed to rephrase colloquialisms, but otherwise must remain true to the original meaning.)

Last edited by Marten on Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Marten, we talked about this at Mysterium. You know that I love the Prologue series and would love to see the remaining chapters. :-)

Cheers,

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:30 am 
Obduction Backer

I'd *LOVE* to see these continued. I'd like to participate, although, I'm not sure I'd be useful as an editor, definitely not as translator, so, probably only as an actor. I am *very* much interested, however. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:12 am 

I've had the original videos saved to my hard drive in a folder for literally years and I can't tell you how many times I've watched them. I'm always saddened when I get to the final ones and the story remains unfinished just as Uru's story is. Having the prologue videos complete will bring a sense of much-needed closure. Even though I know full well what happens both historically and from memory of my own experiences back then (though I was not in the public areas much in those days and so never actually got to participate in any live events)

I've even shown people who've never heard of Uru the prologue documentaries and they've been astounded at how real our world is considering all they're used to is traditional MMOs like everquest and world of warcraft. Even more so when I explain to them the fact that all "events" in Uru have always been with live actors behind the characters that anyone can truly interact with. These wonderful videos capture some of the spirit that Uru was always meant to have in my opinion and it would be an absolute treat to see them finished after all these years. If my schedule permits I will do everything in my power to help make that dream a reality but even if it doesn't happen, Marten, I just want to say thank you so much for the work so far.. and to all who helped as well.

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:10 am 
Obduction Backer

I would love to see this series finished and continued on into the MOUL days. MOULa is my first venture into Uru and I keep bonking into the fact that I missed so much of the storylines. I've read chatlogs and summaries to catch up, but I'd love to see everything documented in videos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:13 am 

I had to log back in for this. Oh yes, definitely yes. I don't know that I can help apart from enthusiastic cheering, but I would so love to see these completed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

I am really glad you brought this up Marten. I couldn't find the link to these great videos and I am glad to once again be able to find them. I don't know anything about editing and I only speak English :roll: so if you need a body if you decide to move forward I will be happy to help. I am normally camera shy but my avvie is much less so. Thanks for this wonderful project.

lightkeeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hey, one suggestion if these do get restarted…

I've only watched the first two videos so far, but it'd be great if the text displayed onscreen could be read by a narrator/actor. Would it be possible to do that, both for the new videos and maybe even on the older ones?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:06 pm 

I'd love to see these videos completed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks all for your enthusiasm and your great comments of encouragement...
I'm also glad, Marten, that you intend to resume this wonderful project in case
there would be sufficient interest to enjoy it in the end, but also to contribute
and help you along the way of completing it... :D

I once had the luck to participate as an actor sometimes and as a translator as well,
secondly it'd be an unmeasurable gift and benefit for the whole community to have this
treasure of Uru's entire history at hand, so I'll definitely raise my voice for a completion of it... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:30 pm 

I have never seen these before.

But they're AWESOME!

How did I miss these videos?

Keep making more of them... we need good records of Prologue for all the players who missed it, including me - MO:UL was my first exposure to a growing online Uru, I didn't have broadband yet in 2003 and thus couldn't play Prologue while it was running even though I wanted to. :cry:

So I never got to play with the Gahreseen wall, or witness the in-cavern events, parties, storytelling, Cyan staff visits, etc - but now at least, through this video series, I can get a better view of what I missed, and what, hopefully, we'll have again soon (that is, a dynamic, developing storyline and new places to explore every so often; a growing, expanding Uru)

So all that is to say, that I, too, am excited about your project - please finish this video series!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
I was - and still am - impressed with the videos so far, so I definitely would like to see the project continued and some day completed. There's so much backstory to Uru that newcomers probably aren't even aware of - mainly because it's scattered all around the Internet, and difficult to find if you don't know where to look. (This is also why I'd like to see the DRC site updated.) I completely missed out on Prologue and UU, and the first few months of the GameTap version. The videos so far have helped me to catch up.

With that in mind, we really need some place where all the backstory can be put in one place. Other than a few summaries, I know of no one site that contains the entire story of Uru - from Loftin's discovery to Cate Alexander's resignation.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:45 pm 

I wasn't around for prologue but watched these videos quite some time ago and just watched the complete set so far and I would like to see this project completed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:35 pm 

Yay!!! You have my complete support Marten!
It would really be awesome to complete the Prologue Documentaries!
And, as before, I'm available as Italian Translator for the videos. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

TOOO wrote:
With that in mind, we really need some place where all the backstory can be put in one place.
Other than a few summaries, I know of no one site that contains the entire story of Uru - from Loftin's discovery to
Cate Alexander's resignation.

Dear TOOO and all interested, please have a look here for a RECAP of The Restoration So Far...
An awesome, extraordinary effort by our very own Vid (vidkid7) ... The entire story of Uru - from
Loftin's discovery to Cate Alexander - not her resignation but to the Episode: A New Light... Have fun... :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next