It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question about "torans"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Even though torans is a fictional unit of measurement, I was wondering if there's software that can allow me to measure torans in real life just for fun. And for measuring distance and elevation (combined with torans). I just brainstormed this question from the idea of The Great Zero. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:05 pm 

65000 torans = 360 degrees.

To go from torans to degrees, multiply by .00553846. (or divide by 180.55555...)

To go from degrees to torans, multiply by 180.55555...

There used to be a program called the Interactive Pocket D'ni Encyclopedia that did the conversion but I believe the original link to it no longer works. You can search for IPDE on your favorite search engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:21 am 

I don't know of any RL measuring stick for torantee. :?

We did build a converter for those surveying in the cavern. Toran & Shahfee Converter - People tend to measure in cavern via typical N~S and E~W distances rather than try to use angles and distances. Since there are no working transits or theodolites in the cavern measuring torantee is difficult. The converter was to help with converting typical Cartesian coordinates to the polar coordinates of the D'ni Coordinate System.

The history of how we came up with the actual conversions is here: Demoted to Historical Data Only - Technical Specs & Measuring for Uru Maps (2004) Remember. In 2004 it took us some time to figure things out... the Great Zero was a bit buggy... huge expletive.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]