It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:38 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:03 am 

The URU story intrigues me, definitely. Multilayered is what I like! I have absolutely no problems with the way the story is. My only thing is, I fear that eventually, especially people that are professionals in the world and work long hours or have children; we will miss a lot of the "live" events or aspects of the game... I for one won't be able to get online usually till probably after 9 or 10 pm. Will anything happen then? Probably not. So does that mean because I have a life outside of URU, and can't get there until after 9-10 at night, I will have to see "instant replays" of what happened that day in the cavern? I personally think that would stink and I hope not.

I am willing to see this play out, but if I feel that I'm not part of the story because I can't be on at the URU "power hour" then the game would become stagnant to me. It hurts me to say something like that being a HUGE fan of the entire franchise but I have to be realistic, it took me forever to find and read all those chat logs and stuff concerning Phil Henderson and the DRC... :cry: Sorry but some people don't have the time for that. I hate thinking that I'm the guy that’s missing out on some small piece of info.

This is not meant to be derogatory at any means, I’m just concerned because so many people with different lives are going to be coming into this, and it seems like a daunting task to cater to us all. Long Live Cyan!! And May URU Live prosper!!!
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:35 am 

Someone should change the topic title to, "Make a real story this time: The topic that just wouldn't die." :roll: :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:42 am 

theres always The Great Tree to make archives and videos depicting what happened, just like they are doing now with the events of prologue.
they are also written into in-game journals usually.

we fans have also thrown around some concepts on how to resolve that, like every event is saved off, and later you can go into a museum and link from there to the saved off events (so you can actually be there).
but there can be more ways to remember those events

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:02 pm 

I'm fairly sure I've seen official reports that although there will still be some live-action characters, there will also be a significant amount of interaction possible at any point in time...

Don't Panic! 8)

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

In the past, live events happened at many different times in the day. Obviously people who are on more often will be able to catch those events more often, but I'm sure that anyone who wants to see a live event will eventually have the opportunity to witness and participate in one.

Thankfully they won't be the only way that changes in the story will occur, and I'm sure there'll be a lot of events that everyone will get the chance to witness.

Cyan mentioned that they wanted to put in place some way of recapping in-Cavern events for those that missed them, I think they alluded to the library for that, but you know how plans can change. They do seem to be committed to the idea of making sure everyone gets the chance to get involved in the story though, so that's good news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
In the past, live events happened at many different times in the day.
I think they were more geared to US timezones though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:00 am 
Obduction Backer

Glad to see everyone posting. I was a little concerned that you would think that we closed the previous thread because we didn't want people to comment on this kind of thing. That is so not the case.

Interesting discussion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:24 am 

:mrgreen: Centuries ago it took monks years to compile a book by painstakingly handwriting every page. Later the invention of the Caxton printing press enabled books to be easily churned out in their thousands. But, there was a dilemma – how on earth was one to read all the books that were ever printed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:34 am 

Concerning this whole controversy over Cyan not making a "real story". Not counting the SP, since that was apparently just done to help market Uru. It's not surprising (the existence of the controversy). The renovation of D'ni, in the context of the DRC and Zandi and what we know/did from the SP, is the storyline's content. So, we should care about the storyline if we care about any of those.

Since no easily understood values, such as those related to love or honor or morality, are markedly identified in how these relate to one another (in fact, we're supposed to decide for ourselves what's the situation), we're left with what we can learn by experiencing the world. In that sense, it's a spiritual successor the Myst games, in which you used your wits to move forward but only what you learned about your world could allow you make the proper choice.

However, to actively feel a sense of attachment to the events in the world of Uru, you need to either have puzzles with which you use your wits, or you need choices which what you've learned about the worlds through which you've traveled would influence/determine. Puzzles are introduced regularly. At this point, they're just like single-player puzzles, but with a sense of community since everyone's doing them. Choices... well, can we consider what we have currently, a real "choice"? Choices are supposed to occur in the context of RP, apparently. Even though outside of the jackets which Sharper gave, they haven't seemed to mean anything ("yet"). Unless you could say they "mean something" in that you're perceived differently by others and yourself in the context of RP. However, if RP is both the means the end... well, I suppose I should just say that Uru is a very unique MMO, then. Akin to a graphical MUSH.

Okay, this argument is about whether or not the storyline is quality. Well, it's fine. I'd say it's kind of undefined in many ways, but that's deliberate. Clearly there are people who have been able to get into it. So to them it's adequate, and so, it can be adequate. It has that capacity. In that case, this argument would be about what the proper capacity is. Is a storyline that appeals to more people better. I'd say it would be. I'd say that it'd be possible to introduce story elements which involve people more, without compromising the basic framework of the storyline, except as far as it's unclear and uncertain, but I hope that the subjective quality of the storyline isn't /completely/ necessary--that is, I hope it would be OK to introduce some elements which are clear.

Post subject: faith
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:46 pm 

It's simple this is Cyan's baby, from all appearances Gametap is giving them the support Ubi never did. From everything I've ever heard the first half done UL storyline was rushed to try and draw people in to meet Ubi's player quota.

Their Cyan; I'm assuming they are about to pull another Bahro out of their hat. :D

Also from the experiance they have gained running D'mala I would venture a guess that they will split the story into atleast two pieces, North American Primetime, and European Primetime. After all that is how they set the townhall meetings, and those went off without a hitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

And I'm sure for those that aren't online when events occur, they'll put things in journals/new Ages for you to see what's happening. As you can see in Complete Chronicles, some of those happenings you can see in Sharper's journal, Phil Henderson's journal, and Dr. Watson's journal.

Let's just be confident that Cyan has our best playing interests in mind. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think they're planning to use the library to store prior events that people may have missed. Pay-per-view TV in the library? :)

Post subject: Had heard that
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:57 pm 

Either that or a KI upgrade machine is buried in there somewhere near the bottom of the library.

Fuzzy glowing DRC hologram's re-playing things anyone?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]