It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:53 pm 

So I'm not really versed in Myst lore I played the original game years ago and proceeded no further... until I discovered online three months ago and found that being able to solve the ages with a friend might add something which it did.

I find the idea of the dni interesting and have a few basic questions I puzzled over playing the game.

So the dni's home planet 'died' I assume it broke up and became the 'wreck' we see in one of the anonhay ages...They came to earth. But did they come via an earth drawn in a book - indeed I wondered if we're supposed to be the pictures in a dni book, or did they master space travel ?

Not having played the other games I assumed that the wreckage near the cleft was supposed to be the remains of a space craft until a video on you tube gave some answers to that. So did they land on earth and find some tunnel down into the cavern ?

Are the ages like teledahn simply given existence by this remarkable 'writing' technology -which baffles me- or are they 'real' worlds accessed by the links in the book... Were the books drawn by the dni equivalent of religious illuminators. If so wouldn't it be difficult creating more than one copy of the book as surely, unless the books could also be printed ( and there is never any mention of printing the books only writing them) they would never be exactly the same in their details.

The dni fight wars but there is never any mention of the weapons they use bar a few mining implements - this also makes me wonder how many dni existed down there if they were capable of mustering armies to fight their wars...

Is yeesha a child of the dni race .. they look exactly like humans. Is the ability to write some sort of telekinetic/telepathic ability purely divorced from the equipment and materials used ?

Is the city of the cavern sitting in a huge lake of molten liquid it seems to be surrounded by a deep glow I associate with igneous material...this being the case how did the dni who appear human survive the intense heat, fumes and pressure ?

Are the dni supposed to have influenced human development too.... ? I notice for example that the name for the dni god is very similar to judaism's name for the creator ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am 

Start by reading the Kings books in the Hall of Kings in the city. There are a number of notebooks scattered about the city with more insight into the culture of the people. Missing notebooks in MOULa can be found here.

Some of the topics you mentioned would be clear if you had played Myst, Riven, and Myst III:Exile. Also there are 3 novels covering the fall of D'ni and the early life of Atrus. (Book of Ti'anna, Book of Atrus, Book of D'ni IIRC). They are (or were) available as a single volume called The Myst Reader.

Perhaps others can come up with more resources for you to check out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:48 am 

I would recommend playing Riven and Myst V at the very least. Especially Myst V as it has everything to do with Uru and gives much info on the D'ni people as well as the limited knowledge we have of the linking-people Bahro.

Riven can be found here http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/riven_the_sequel_to_myst For a very generous price (though it does have a bit of an issue with journal pages turning too fast to properly read) You can also read those journals, as well as the journals of every Myst game, in their entirety here http://l7square.com/journals/

As far as the origins of the D'ni the best place to start for that would be the Hall of Kings in Ae'gura, particularly the book of Ri'Neref.

The orange glow you see in the lake is actually that of a bioluminescent algae that lives in the lake water. The algae is currently dormant but before the time of The Fall it would glow brighter and go dim consistently which gave the D'ni their approximation of a day. The algae is currently dim and so the cavern is in perpetual night. In theory, we can revive the algae via pellets from the factory in Er'cana.

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Dear MaelstromJ, I'd suggest and recommend to read a very nice compact, concise and also
illustrated summary of the history of the whole D'niverse with a proper chronology that I myself
discovered recently first... That'll provide you with an adequate foundation for whatever subsequent
information like journals, walkthroughs, chronicles, kings books or other specific references... :P

It is a Pdf file (11,6 MB) composed by Matthornb and you can download it from here...

"This offers a condensed version of the Myst canon, including summaries of all novels and
games in the series" he's saying about it himself...

Have fun... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:26 am 

I would recommend checking out Dilandau3000's channel on Youtube. He's done LPs of the Myst games, and he does a great job of covering pretty much all the lore you could think of, and some that you wouldn't think of.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dilandau3000#p/search

Yes, the D'ni wrote a book for the D'ni age (Earth). There's a HUGE debate over whether the Art of writing linking books creates Ages, describes an already-existing possibility that becomes part of our reality through writing, or something in-between. But most people agree that Ages are possibilities in the multiverse that are linked to "our" reality through linking books. They don't need space travel, because they can get to places faster, with fewer resources, and more safely with books. The only "space ship" in the entire Myst series I can think of is in the original Myst, and even then it didn't fly anywhere, it was just part of a puzzle.

For the second question, like I said, most people think that the D'ni only describe possibilities and link them to our universe. Remember, the imagination is infinite, so pretty much anything you can think of, you can describe and link to. But there are actually TWO kinds of books involved in linking. Descriptive books are massive, and they describe the Age involved. There's only one of these, and if it's destroyed, linking books don't work. Linking books, on the other hand, simply describe a part of an Age that you would link to. You write a linking book in an age you link to with the descriptive book, and after that you can link to the place you were at and described in the book. There can be many linking books per Age, and certainly many that could link to the same location; all you need to do is be where you want to link to with the linking book you're writing, and then link out, and then you can go back there with the linking book whenever you want. However, you can't use a linking book WITHIN the age it describes. That's why you need the Nexus to go to different places.

The D'ni did fight wars, but they tended to fight them with people in other Ages, who were generally technologically backwards. The D'ni had guns (you can see one in Riven) that were basically as slow as flintlock rifles, but still, this could easily be used to kill people efficiently and instill fear in them. Basically, you should play Riven to understand how this process happened.

Yeesha is only 1/8 D'ni...her father Atrus was 1/4, her grandfather was 1/2, and her great-grandfather Aitrus was full D'ni. Still, she counts as D'ni as much as any of her ancestors did, and she was taught the Art by her father, who basically taught himself because HIS father was really horrible at it. And a bad person too, but that's another story. The D'ni are basically humans, except they live to be 250-300 usually, and they tend to have colorless irises in their eyes. The only major difference is that they were already hugely advanced by the time they wrote Earth/D'ni...human civilization was just beginning to emerge when they came here about 10000 years ago. Technically, anyone can write linking books, but we don't really know how because the D'ni are pretty much extinct. The only remnants are in an Age of their own, and the ones we know of who are in contact with us don't want the fall of the D'ni to happen again, since any major power is likely to be abused by humans like us.

The D'ni were pretty xenophobic, and thought of anyone except themselves as inferior, but most people agree that some revolutionary or outcast D'ni left the cavern and probably had something to do with surface humans. The D'ni religion does have a lot in common with the Abrahamic religions, but then again, Rand Miller, the guy who created Myst, is very religious and his father was a preacher. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:51 am 

Many thanks for the info and the references. I'll clearly have to do a little more research. Thanks to all for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:28 am 
Obduction Backer

OMG, Solstice, this is most probably the most awesome stuff I've ever seen... :P

This guy is supernatural and what he does is just breathtaking... One must
really see it to believe it, there's also Dreamfall, The Longest Journey and such,
but watch the Myst series and Riven and Uru, oh my, I'm stunned... :D

Marten, I suggest you definitely should add this to Rel.to as a Help resource,
I hope you see this here otherwise I'll mention it somewhere else again...

This website Rel.to, dear MaelstromJ, is maybe the most comprehensive and well
structured Help/Link resource there is on the internet... I just realized that I forgot
to mention that above... :D
---------------------------------------------
I'd like to add: The above YouTube channel is of course heavy spoilerish and more
as Solstice already mentioned, but in a spectacular way... I was just watching
part 85 of Uru... :shock: ... Oh, the lucky ones who have the opportunity to see, hear,
feel, experience and explore this all for the first time... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:44 pm 

Garternay is dying.
People flee to Tehranee and D'ni
Stuff happens
D'ni dies

That's about as brief as you can get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:50 pm 

Here's an even shorter one!

--Linking sound--

Congratulations! You just passed through the time and space of another universe that has been magically/technologically linked to ours! Now buy the T-shirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:06 pm 

If you want to see a conversation about the more technical side of things, check out this thread: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21965

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]