It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: linking sequence
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:32 pm 

shorah all,

im now on holidays, so i cant play MOULa, although there is a computer where i can post this on.
so, now i cant play MOULa, i can think about it. so ive thought a bit about linking, i mean the linking itself, the sequence when linking. but ive noticed a difference between the myst-games (the series):

myst: a flyover of the age. then you stand at the link-in point.
riven: flyover in the linking book and the link-in point
exile: flyover again
revelation: flyover
end of ages: i think no secuence (didnt play the game yet(only the demo)).

now about uru and uru live. if you link, your avatar just disappears before the age does. and then there comes a pulple book.

but i thought that its better to make a real linking sequence(instead of that book). i have some examples:

just a flash of light
something like a time tunnel (like the riven mine cart)
like the nature is being disassembled and the final age assembled while you are still standing.
like you're being sucked up by the book (like saavedro in exile)
that you stay where you are and that something seeks the age you want to go to while you still can see the ages flyby. (a bit like Nexus, but than bigger).

so maybe cyan employees can use this to improve myst and uru (especially uru live). to make linking less boring.

plz reply, find new examples and Cyan, plz change something, cause that purple book starts to get a bit boring

chev shem , bye

and always remember: D'ni has fallen, but we will not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:52 am 

The purple book is a loading screen, the fadeout is the link and has remained much the same through the series, however the linking panel being stationary is rather boring, but necessary for how Uru works. However, I agree that the purple book is annoying, but the only alternative is a Complete Chronicles/realMyst style loading bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:08 am 

ok, but if (better is when :) ) the technology improves, you can maybe change something. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:10 pm 

I also notice that the sound when linking is different from one game to the next. I think Myst 5 tries to blend the different styles together, and particularly is more like the first game.

Myst
Riven
Exile
Revelation go to 8:55
End of Ages
And we all pretty much know what Uru sounds like right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:35 pm 

lol, :lol:

but i think we could change something about the video, not the audio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Slump Virus wrote:
I also notice that the sound when linking is different from one game to the next.

Wow, I never realized this. You are sharply observant!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:20 pm 

Animated linking windows..... Remember Riven? The flyby mode was pretty cool too. I would be very happy with an animated linking windows. I don't know anything about the Plasma engine but I would think that adding a GIF or MOV to the linking books would be simple enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:01 pm 

I actually like the idea of the linking panel being some sort of a window into the world, and not moving and spinning. You touch it- and you suddenly see the exact view of what you saw in the panel.

What I would like to see is a flyby after the link, as we see in almost all Myst games. It's not the panel, but an OOC flyby sequence. I think it's really nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Both fly-bys and animated panels are really missing in Uru; it's part of the Myst games visual appeal, and 'magic'. They are in all Myst games except Uru. :(
Both are technically possible with Uru, Cyan didn't include them for artistic reasons. I don't agree with those; although it's a very subjective thing. Fly-bys and animated panels are part of the Myst games; they should be in Uru.

There's also another thing missing: the effect on the avatar. In the other games when Atrus (or someone else) links there's a glow and a distortion on him. In Uru the avatars just.. fade. It's a bit 'meh'. :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:10 pm 

Sorry to be a thread necromancer, but i just wanted to add that A while ago I saw loopable "fly-by" videos for all of Uru's Ages (Nothing fancy, just a looping"orbit" of the link-in point).

Unfoturately I can't find them anymore, but it shouldn't be that hard to make new ones...

Since it's prerecorded, it wouldn't, for example, be able show you people currently moving about in Ae'gura or your Bevin near the link-in point, but since sending "live" video to every linking book in every instance of every Age would be horribly bandwidth-intensive anyway, I don't think that's a problem.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]