It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:36 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

82%  82%  [ 9 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
9%  9%  [ 1 ]
9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:47 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:16 pm 

YES PLEASE! I really wanna see improvments to the engine. I play Oblivion, and seeing all those wonderful graphics overhaul mods (as well as gameplay, but we talk about graphics here) makes me wish we could do something like that for Uru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Uru is using a 7 years old engine; it's a huge amount of time in computer evolution; no wonder it's aging. If you look at current (and upcoming) top of the line games, we are litterrally talking about Riven quality now. (Crysis 2, due next march, uses actual real time radiosity..). Updating Uru's visuals to today's best standards isn't really possible unless you have a team of professional developers working full time.. But even updating it a little would actually be difficult.

Updating textures is a long and difficult process; because most of the time it means recreating the texture from scratch.. Don't believe what you see in TV shows: there is no way to magically enhance the resolution of an image or "add more pixels". ;)
It is still a nice idea in theory; but personnally I'd rather see some time spent on creating new textures for fan Ages.

Adding new features to Plasma is possible as soon as we get the sources, but also time consuming.
The problem however is that to use most new features existing Ages would have to be modified.. And as far as we know Cyan only plans to open-source the engine, not the Ages. So that would have to be an unauthorized change. Also it would be more complicated to do without the Age's sources..Lots of complex modifications here and plenty of Ages to update..

New features could be added and not incorporated in Cyan Ages; but then only new fan Ages would use them which could create a weird contrast..

There are only a couple limited features that could be added that wouldn't require updating the Ages. From the top of my head I can think of: HDR, depth of field, motion blur, any kind of post-processing, a new linking effect for the avatar (this one get my vote), and improved realtime shadows for the avatars/Ages. A new animation system for the avatar could enhance many things: feet would actually follow the ground/stairs; avatar could line up faster with books/levers.. etc
Faster loading times would be welcome too; but I've no idea what kind of margin of improvement there is here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:23 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:12 am 

I would never want to bring Uru up to Crysis level. I think Uru's current does give it a nice style that I don't see in other game engines except Source.

http://torbensko.com/phd/#Videos
http://www.seeingmachines.com/product/faceapi/

This is a feature I would love to see be used to increase interactivity with other players. Of course I think it could only be fully used if we improved the avatars themselves which would be difficult.
Avatar customisation is probably the one thing I really want to see get done. I'm sick of my one, I can't make it look like me and really most of them just look the same. I'm not sure if Cyan's financial situation has improved (hopefully it has) because I've been away for a while (if someone can update me on any changes, please do) so I doubt they would ever be able to change the avatars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:23 am 

Just look at CryEngine 2....how can you NOT want Uru too look so realistic?! I mean I know some games are nice with a more casual graphics, but with Myst games I say the more realistic the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:48 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:57 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:34 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:55 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:06 am 

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:41 am 

The easiest way to bring updated graphics to Uru is to use all of the existing features before worrying about adding new ones.

For instance, bloom can be simulated by adding a plane, setting the flare texture to add mode and draw overtop of everything, with a FadeOpacityMod to hide it when it's behind a solid object, and parenting that place to a ViewFaceModifier object at the centre of the light source.
[spoiler=The result][/spoiler]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]