It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:10 am 
Obduction Backer

lzoetje wrote:
PLEASE, some instructions for people who are not developers, can't type code, it's all too confusing and I hate playing on laptop PC when I have a beauty of a MAC.

I've tried to download MACPORTS it looks too daunting with lines of commands. Xcode says only for devs.

I'm sorry you found the MacPorts MO:ULa installation instructions too complicated. They really aren't. Install Xcode, install MacPorts, open Terminal, type "sudo port install mystonline-cider". That's pretty straightforward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:28 am 

S'ok Rainbow. In the end all I had to do was drag and drop the files including current .exe from tanshin. I've always like MACs because i like dragging and dropping and not programming. Just done graphic arts on them and no time for wrapping my head around it. LAZY :)

I did get an access violation error, and copied the call stack. Got no idea what it means. It occurred when I tried to open URU in a window twice. So I don't do that now. :)

Today it happened when linking via a friends Relto book to his Ahnonay. There were many in the cavern and several others had some ghosting problems-not seeing others.

Post subject: Install URU on Intel Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rainbow Wrote:
Quote:
I'm sorry you found the MacPorts MO:ULa installation instructions too complicated. They really aren't. Install Xcode, install MacPorts, open Terminal, type "sudo port install mystonline-cider". That's pretty straightforward.

It is pretty straightforward, but it should be emphasized that it is absolutely necessary to replace the UruLauncher.exe file. Let it be said that most Mac users (of which I am one) have ever used or even knew of the "Show package contents" menu option until reading this post. Modifying program files is not something we as Mac users are accustomed to doing. In fact, I would say it is discouraged. That being said, the instruction from Christian Walther is understandable enough for most Mac users to follow and should do the trick.

Christian Walther Wrote:
Quote:
In the Finder, find the Myst Online application and right-click or control-click on it. Choose “Show package contents” from the menu. Navigate to Contents > Resources. There’s another Myst Online application there. Right-click and show package contents again on that. Navigate to Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > Program Files > Uru Live. This folder should have the same contents as the Uru Live folder on your PC. You can replace all the files there, in particular UruLauncher.exe (that’s the outdated updater), with copies from your PC.

I would also say that most Mac users will probably not have a PC to copy the contents of the Uru Live folder to their Mac. Therefore, it is necessary to go to the http://cl.ly/ce65920d623923c06ddc link and download the updated UruLauncher.exe file and use it to replace the old UruLauncher.exe file in the Uru Live folder.

I used both Rainbow's and Christian Walther's instructions above and was able to get my Mac up and running Uru Live without a hitch at home. It is such a pleasure not having to run Uru Live through Windows using the Parallels virtualization program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'll probably try to keep that link updated, however it is likely to change as the program changes... I'll figure out a workaround to that issue.

I use both Mac and PC so I need to upload that sometimes for myself ;) I tend to use dropbox though... much faster.

EDIT: Use this link here: http://cl.ly/84a698c7cb450284eda7
It'll bring you to where you need to be for downloadage (http://nintendoaddict.com/downloads/UruLauncher.exe)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rhendalle wrote:
It is pretty straightforward, but it should be emphasized that it is absolutely necessary to replace the UruLauncher.exe file.

You do not need to do that manually. That's part of what MacPorts does for you when you type "sudo port install mystonline-cider".

Rhendalle wrote:
I would also say that most Mac users will probably not have a PC to copy the contents of the Uru Live folder to their Mac. Therefore, it is necessary to go to the http://cl.ly/ce65920d623923c06ddc link and download the updated UruLauncher.exe file and use it to replace the old UruLauncher.exe file in the Uru Live folder.

You do not need to copy anything from a PC or download anything manually. You only need to "sudo port install mystonline-cider" and run the "Myst Online (Cider)" program it installs. It will download everything else it needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

But in the case of somebody who doesn't want to do Macports (let's say they don't want to install the dev tools because of their size as an example), that's the best option.

Post subject: Install URU on Intel Mac
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

In my case, Rainbow, even after loading Xcode and Macports and typing "sudo port install mystonline-cider" in the Terminal failed to update the UruLauncher.exe file. I still had to manually replace the file to make it work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

If anybody else experiences that problem, let me know. I can't reproduce it here. I just installed a fresh MacPorts and installed mystonline-cider in it and it opened and ran fine and began downloading the MO:ULa content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:31 pm 

Perhaps I should start a new thread here but i now cannot log on after being on all weekend, I had a few problems with lag and hangs, the last which just locked on a load page back to relto? and the purple book load icon just kept spinning.

I forced quit after trying to escape but may have locked into the window mode(is this possible?) which crashes and I get a stack error in that.
Very sad :cry:
when I try to launch cursor spins for a bit not dialog comes up, only "Myst online" and "window" in menu bar then nothing.

Any ideas?
Think I jinxed myself Sunday Rhendalle when I said I am always scared it will all go pear-shaped.

(PS: when I couldn't get on in the very beginning I was using wrong email-lame i know)

Post subject: Never mind
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:33 am 

Sigh :oops:
This dope just deleted all her KI images because there were 20?????? That seems to have solved the problem. Got straight back in-it was a small price to pay.
Have no idea what i did but started drawing Kerath's arch in illustrator Sunday and must have corrupted something. I DID take the image out of folder first....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Did you touch your avatar photo (that you take in the wardrobe) by any chance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:00 pm 

Actually, you only have to replace the Urulauncher.exe file to make it work on a mac. I did that, and it runs perfectly. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:03 pm 

I am confused. I am playing myst (on my mac) and everything, but I'm not sure if its actually MOUL Again? I read up on it and the version I downloaded was from Gametap and apperently, Gametap didn't host MOUL Again, just MOUL? Which one am I playing? I did replace the .exe updater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

If you've replaced the .exe and you can successfully connect, you are playing this version of MOUL (MOULa).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:50 pm 

I followed the instructions from rainbow to install on mac. When I launch, I can log in and it searches for updates and continues to the loading screen. I updates in 1 min whatever secs and the book circle spins, then it quits to stack error. I've posted the stack error I have.

What have I done wrong?

I copied over the mammoth 3gb I downloaded when I tried to use "playonmac" (playonmac was too choppy and didn't work - no cursor and music and sound probs) - found the files and transferred to the correct location following the manual instructions.

Yikes, help.