It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:03 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lara Documents
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:30 am 
Obduction Backer

http://en.mystlore.com/wiki/Lara_documents
Upon further examination, these do not seem official. are thy, are they questionable, or are they definitely not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:46 am 
Obduction Backer

They are not official. It was a project started by a certain J.D. Barnes, who was a fan's character. Explorers were stimulated to play along. The eventual texts explorers came up with could easily fit in the D'ni canon though.

You'll find more information over here: http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?t=2605

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:18 am 

Just to add a point of clarification--I may be wrong but I believe J.D. Barnes was actually something along the lines of a "semi-official" character, as was Echo Mackenzie; what I mean by this is that the players who portrayed them were specifically asked to do so by Cyan, and discussed the characters with Cyan to make sure that nothing would contradict existing canon. So (unless I am incorrect), J.D. Barnes can be thought of as a sort of "official" story character, but one played by a player instead of a Cyan employee.

I only make this distinction because there are also entirely "unofficial" characters--that is, players who prefer to remain wholly in the story during gameplay, like myself, but who are not supported in any special way by Cyan. J.D. Barnes, then, is more of an "official" character than Carl Palmner...but perhaps less of one than Douglas Sharper, for example.

MOULa KI#237576

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

There was a video from Mysterium 2009, where those involved, Eleri and Blade Lakem, discuss their experiences. Brian Fioca was also on the panel to talk about his experiences in Prologue and Ryan Miller talked about playing Douglas Sharper. It was a highly informative video, but I can't find it on the Net right now. I believe I have a copy of it somewhere, but my main compy is feeling poorly. Does anyone have a link to this video?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:34 pm 

Carl Palmner wrote:
Just to add a point of clarification--I may be wrong but I believe J.D. Barnes was actually something along the lines of a "semi-official" character, as was Echo Mackenzie; what I mean by this is that the players who portrayed them were specifically asked to do so by Cyan, and discussed the characters with Cyan to make sure that nothing would contradict existing canon. So (unless I am incorrect), J.D. Barnes can be thought of as a sort of "official" story character, but one played by a player instead of a Cyan employee.

I only make this distinction because there are also entirely "unofficial" characters--that is, players who prefer to remain wholly in the story during gameplay, like myself, but who are not supported in any special way by Cyan. J.D. Barnes, then, is more of an "official" character than Carl Palmner...but perhaps less of one than Douglas Sharper, for example.

Afraid not, J.D Barnes was a fan character who asked Cyan for an introduction to give him the air of being an official character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Wafna wrote:
There was a video from Mysterium 2009... Does anyone have a link to this video?

There may be a link to the video buried in this transcript by CrisGer: Rand Q and A + Panel: Mysterium 2009 at Cyan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks Tai'lahr! That's it, even if there is no video link buried there. I don't have the time to look right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Video Mysterium 2009
Download is 585 mb.
QuickTime Player required.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

There was also a link to a Word.doc buried in the transcript, which doesn't work anymore...

I've prepared a comfortably readable/printable document from the whole transcript again that
anybody interested can download from here... Enjoy... :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]