It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:42 am 

Shell 415 in Ahra Pahts: Report Phase 1 -

No problems so far, we have nearly completed the tiled floors of the both apartments, now awaiting material for phase 2, the buildings. We've got just one stack of buildingstones transported into the shell so we have to wait for more to come; expected next week.
It's a nice place to work in, very calm, not many visitors, fresh air and interesting other shells to visit during breaks.

Dot has told me she's satisfied with the progress, but no word from Quin yet, hm. Maybe he doesn't bother with it in this early stage, I just hope he wont come up with ideas later so we'll have to change plans, one never knows what Quin is thinking really.

Edit: changed the number of the shell to the correct one which is 415 and nothing else :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:43 pm 

After I received ametist's report about Shell 415 on Saturday, I thought it would be an idea to see if we could talk to Quin together. I suspected that he might be working in Curiosity or Lost Pages, so suggested we try there.

This was a new adventure for ametist -- I don't think she had been to the transported islands before, because of her busy workload on the Uru Educational Ages and other projects.

We finally managed to get to the same place (not easy, for there were still some lingering problems after the upheavals earlier in the week), and decided to link to Curiosity first.

No sign of Quin, or of Paislee.

We went across to Waysmeet (the tree village) and from there to Deepwater, that mysterious place of ancient ritual. I could see ametist was taken with the islands. The pictures on the imager in Neolbah do not do them justice -- you really do need to visit them in person.

The temple on Deepwater intrigued her, especially the blue plasma sphere within its rotating gold cage. I explained how Quin and Nalates had conjectured that such spheres might be the source of what enabled the transfer across of elements of the old Devokan to this new world.

She went on to speculate whether it might be possible to generate a similar sphere within Shell 415. That, I think, we will need to get Quin involved with -- and check with D'Lanor first, who is overseeing the shell infrastructure development. We do not want to cause any linking mishaps in Ahra Pahts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:46 pm 

Head hurts....pounding really. All the linking I've done, and I've never had a headache like this before......did I link?

I.....I don't know where I'm at. Worse. My Relto book isn't on me either.

Thinking....I was in Eder Tomahn, examining one of the elevator levers. They're stuck, but I think I can free one up.
I left and linked to Neolbah where I had left some of my tools. I......I don't remember what happened next. I remember being IN Neolbah, but......the next memory is me opening my eyes here. Where ever 'here' is.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I can't place it. I've never seen this place.....

But someone has been here I think.....

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Yes. I think I need to explore....maybe I can learn something....

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:04 pm 

I was over in Winterfell Sanctuary yesterday, trying again to make contact with Mistress Sorrelwood. Again, I was unsuccessful.

While I was there, however, a call came through from Winterfell's Seneschelf, Lady Serra Anansi herself. The Fourth Anniversary of the Founding of Winterfell was approaching, and she wished to use the occasion to honour two of the citizens of her realm for their outstanding contributions to the Winterfallen community.

The problem was: she was unsure as to what to do. Did I have any ideas?

I was initially taken aback with the request, but together, as Seneschelf and freelance, we brainstormed possibilities. Then I remembered something from my past -- it seems a lifetime ago now -- when one of the writers I worked with for years was rewarded by the monarch for her services to my native land with the Order of the Bath, a centuries-old honour. Perhaps something like that would be appropriate to institute in the medieval land of Winterfell?

"Yes!" Lady Serra exclaimed: "The Order of the Twilight Rose! Most appropriate!" (Winterfell's insignia is a five-petalled rose, reminiscent of the Tudor and Lancastrian roses of my own country.)

Later that evening I heard from a friend who also resides in Winterfell that the ceremony had gone ahead. It amused me that his new title of "Lord <Surname>", recently bestowed by the rather wild ruler of the new lands of Austral to the far south of Winterfell and Caledon, broke all the rules I had learnt from a village childhood. Between us, Lady Serra and I made sure that the newly titled in Winterfall followed the long-established tradition of "Sir/Dame <Firstname>".

Working as a freelance results in some unusual tasks at times!

Last edited by Dot on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:02 am 

While Mistress Sorrelwood in person seems as elusive as ever, when I checked her house yesterday I found a letter addressed to me on her desk.

Elspeth Sorrelwood wrote:
My dear Miss Macchi

I fear that I might have caused you some inconvenience with my sudden disappearance. There were matters I needed to attend to -- elsewhere, shall we say? Elsewhen too, if that is a term I might employ.

While a modicum of stability has been achieved, my presence is still needed there. Hence this letter.

I have suspected from our first conversation that you sensed that my past is somehow entangled with your own and that of your friends. That is something I had hoped for -- just as I had hoped that Quinquifid would act on the hints I left in my journals.

I should explain: I am Elspeth Sorrelwood of the past; I am also from a distant future -- and Devokan is my home.

That statement will probably surprise you given the fact that you witnessed Devokan's destruction in its sun's fiery embrace. But, as time flows on and events unfold, you and your friends will understand more.

The foundation I charged Quinquifid to set up under the terms of my will -- "To research and restore what was lost" -- is key. Your companions from the various worlds are also key: the different skills and understandings each brings will make possible the restoration, not just of Devokan, but of other worlds and ages too.

Of immediate concern is the following: You need to find the Celestial Clock that was in the Sphere of Lost Pages over the old Devokan. Once you find it, install in a place where time is less chaotic than here in Winterfell. I am sure you will be able to find a suitable home for it.

In the other world, you will discover that the recent instability has resulted in the formation of a new island: Devokan Starfyre. Its time and place is far from the islands you know -- those of Curiosity, Deepwater, Tallis, Nalands, Lost Pages, ... This is deliberate. I see that Mr Mahogany has already started work there -- his role in this is vital.

Finally, while I am away, I would like you to make full use of my house and land here in Winterfell Sanctuary. It is a joy to me, as I trust it will be to you.

Be assured, Miss Macchi, you and your companions are much in my thoughts.

Sincerely

Elspeth Sorrelwood

Oh my!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:03 pm 

Elspeth Sorrelwood wrote:
My dear Miss Macchi

...Of immediate concern is the following: You need to find the Celestial Clock that was in the Sphere of Lost Pages over the old Devokan. Once you find it, install in a place where time is less chaotic than here in Winterfell. I am sure you will be able to find a suitable home for it....

hm,hm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 pm 

After that intriguing letter, the weekend was spent on more mundane matters.

D'Lanor and ametist let me know that Phase 1 of the building of Shell 415 was complete, and it was time for this stage of the work to be signed off.

So, on Saturday, we met up in the shell, the first time all of us were there together. Dustin joined us too a little later.

All seemed safe, so it is now open to the public to visit (do take sensible precautions, though -- hard hats and work boots, for example).

We spent some time discussing the next stage, which we hope to complete by the end of the year. By the end of Phase 2 I should have a properly lit office (Neolbah is very nice, but the light is not good for my poor eyes, especially when composing journal entries).

Quin is to have a laboratory/workshop in the opposite corner of the shell. I hope we won't get complaints from the neighbours once it is up and running.

That reminds me: I must check with ametist whether the builders are taking care not to disturb others when working. D'Lanor noticed that their radio-cassette could be heard in neighbouring shells -- we shall have to watch that.

------
To visit Shell 415, go to Ahra Pahts via one of the methods described on the GoW or GoMa forums. If you have a good sense of direction, try walking to the shell from the link-in point; otherwise use Prin Pahts to get there in a couple of links -- Shell 415 is in the Blue district.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:57 am 

Later that Saturday was the Monthly Guild and Group Meeting at Kirel, convened by Leonardo this month.

By coincidence Leo had turned up earlier that week when I was chatting to OHB in SL about a Spades card table he had just set up. June from TMP had recommended that I check this out, since it worked very like the one we all used in the lost world of There. To cut a potentially long story short, there is now a far better-looking card table at the Devokan Outpost in Minkarta (do try it out if you get a chance -- four players are needed).

Back to the meeting: Christian Walther was the first to speak, on the latest version of his elegant iOS pod portal calculator Zik Clock and the in-Cavern research he has been conducting using the calculator as a tool. He presented a most impressive chart of results to the gathering.

OHB reported on progress on the Uru Localization Project. The amount of work that has already been completed is encouraging -- and the number of languages and explorers involved.

The Messengers filled the stage to announce the launch of a newspaper for Uru explorers: Go!

When it was my turn -- the result of the chance encounter with Leo -- I outlined the scope of the Devokan Trust project and mentioned the opening of Shell 415.

An incredible demonstration and talk followed about PaladinOfKaos's PlasmaClient (official site here: http://plasmaclient.info/) and Zrax's server project (sorry, I didn't note down a link for further info). As they say in that thread "Open Source has arrived!".

Finally Marcus Wheeler reminded everyone of the GoMa Recruitment Drive happening all this week.

I hope that I got all that right -- I forgot to take a chatlog (apologies!) -- but the Messengers are assiduous in posting summaries and tidied-up chatlogs.

It was a good meeting, and showed just a snippet of the many projects people are working on within the Myst/Uru universe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:10 pm 

After the weekend's focus on Shell 415 and other matters directly related to Uru, it was time to look once again at the letter left for me by Elspeth Sorrelwood. Accordingly, I decided to take it across to Lost Pages and show it to Quin, to find out what he thought.

I was hoping that the contents of the letter might sufficiently intrigue him to overcome any potential upset. Although outwardly Quin often seems cold and without emotion, his writing at times betrays a strong underlying passion for his science -- and, surprisingly, for the welfare of his friends.

I linked in just as he was carefully re-positioning a small golden 'cage' around a mini-sphere. "What's that?" I asked.

"Ah, I had left this on the desk at Neolbah for you to see. Unfortunately, Mr Legate spotted it, decided to investigate and somehow ended up here. So for his own and others' safety I have brought it back. I should have known better not to take it over there, given the proclivities of some of your colleagues never to leave well alone."

I raised my eyebrows at this, given Quin's own well-known tendencies in that area (and the fact that he still will not call Andy "Andy", even though why he should do so has been explained on numerous occasions). However, this wasn't the focus of my visit, so I took out the letter, unfolded it and placed it on the workbench.

"This was left for me in the house at Skysong, on Winterfell Sanctuary," I explained. "Read it. See what you make of it."

I watched his face as he read. There was no obvious reaction apart from a slight wrinkling of the brow. "The writing looks to be very similar to that of my aunt's in her earliest journals."

He reached for a magnifying glass to inspect the letter more closely. "Yes, the long-s letterforms match those in my aunt's journals." I was hoping at that point I might catch a glimpse of these fabled books (Quin has been very careful to keep them out of sight and under lock and key). Unfortunately, this was not to be.

"Have you made a copy of the contents of this letter?" he asked. I nodded, and Quin continued: "I would like to keep this original and study it further. Now, I trust you will excuse me, but I have work to do..." And with that, he picked up the letter, and abruptly linked out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:53 pm 

I've not seen Quin since he linked out mid-conversation.

There have been further instabilities around Lost Pages and Curiosity this week -- and judging by Quin's latest note in the log book in Shell 415, he was aware they were coming.

The note said he was going to Minkarta, staying there while he conducted some library research; at a guess he was intending to use the Age and Country Hotel as a base. If he hadn't rudely linked out when he did, I could have warned him that the hotel was facing demolition.

I finally tracked him down via Mr Whitfield, a mutual friend and inhabitant of Winterfell. Quin had contacted him and asked if he might stay in his guest house for a few days -- it sounds like he was most put out about the hotel. Fortunately, Mr Whitfield had agreed, and made Quin welcome. So that's one mystery solved.

But what to make of Elspeth Sorrelwood's letter ...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:28 pm 

That man! :x

I needed to contact Quin urgently today about a Trust matter so travelled down to Mr Whitfield's guest house in Winterfell, only to find that Quin's bags and belongings were no longer in evidence -- and nor was Quin!

Where has he gone now? And, what is more to the point, what is he up to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:24 am 

You know, you'd think I'd have learned after all these years of exploring the Cavern here underground, and whole alternate worlds, to NOT touch something when I don't know what it is!

My trip to this place called "Nocturne" was very interesting (if unexpected). I saw many new things before Quinn found me wandering around.
I took a couple of weeks and took in the sights until Quinn brought me back home. But that's another story.

During the time I was there with Quinn, he asked me about Descriptive Books and Linking Books. Their differences, and purposes.
I took him to my Relto and showed him some of the Descriptive Books that I had found, plus those that I had created while dabbling in the Art.

Quinn was quite insistent about visiting some of these places (well,as "insistent" as Quinn gets, which amounts to a single raised eyebrow and a "I would very much like to see this place Mr. Legate.").
So I took him to Zephyr Cove, Camp Bravo and ended with Serene.

Serene seemed to draw a strange expression across Quinn's face. I've seen wonder, awe and even surprise on people's faces when they visit Serene, but never an expression of......puzzlement. Something about Serene seemed to puzzle Quinn. He spent a lot of time walking around, looking and exploring every inch of it.

Later, back at my Relto, Quinn asked if he might take a look at my Descriptive Book for Serene. I handed it over to him, and caught the faintest look of delight on his face. If I had blinked, I would have missed it.
I asked him to look after it, making him understand that if it were harmed or damaged that Serene would be gone forever.

Nodding in understanding, he left and I headed back home to my family. Thanksgiving is coming up and I've got turkeys to cook!

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:29 am 

Another week has passed by -- and it was another week of worrying, I'm afraid.

When I checked on progress in Shell 415, there was a note in Quin's logbook:
Quinquifid Oddenfen wrote:
November 16
Library research most fruitful; possible new avenue to explore. Am eager to put new-found knowledge to use practically. Left note of apology to Mr Whitfield. I trust he will let Miss Dot know.

Mr Whitfield did let me know. He wrote about that encounter later in his journal (quoted here with his permission):
Danko Whitfield wrote:
Something big is going on. At least it seems that way to me. But I haven’t the foggiest what it is, or where or when.

Quinquifid Oddenfen was staying at my guesthouse in Laudanum. Our paths crossed briefly one morning. He was on his way to Caledon and New Babbage to use their libraries. I told him I would be visiting near some other worlds he works in and would like to go to some of the places he and Dot Macchi have told me about. I have visited some of these places already but not for some time and the others would be new to me. They have given me an open invitation to visit but I needed to discuss the logistics of moving about in these worlds.

He was in a hurry, as he usually is, so we agreed to discuss it over supper at my pub that evening or the next. That was the last I saw of him.

That evening I walked home briskly, hoping to meet up with my guest, after returning to Laudanum from a day of field work for the Steampunk Explorer group. When I arrived at the house and stepped inside I found, on my floor a note. It was from Mr. Oddenfen…

“Good day, Mr Whitfield. My apologies for my sudden departure from your most comfortable guest rooms, but I have stumbled across something in my library research that I am eager to investigate practically. Could you let Miss Dot know? She is liable to fuss otherwise. Thank you, my friend. – Quin”

It seemed quite odd that Quin would find what he was looking for on his first day in the libraries. But who am I to say what is odd, especially with Quin? As I told someone recently he is a genius and they have their own way of thinking that is beyond what most of us, even the intelligent among us, will ever experience. Obviously whatever he found on just one day in the libraries was important enough to cause this abrupt departure. I had expected him for several days at least, maybe a few weeks.

I was going up to Ebonshire the next day so on the way I stopped at Ms. Macchi’s place in Sanctuary to give her the news. It was early so I walked about her grounds a bit to make myself obvious and give her a chance to prepare for company. She has a glorious view to the south of Winterfell Castle. I lingered by the water for a while and stared. I then headed up to the house but before I reached the door, Ms. Macchi opened it. She was smiling and seemed in a good mood on this fine day. “Good Morning, Mr. Whitfield. Do come in and sit by the fire a bit. Join me for coffee.” She led me to her upstairs sitting room as she had just moved in and the ground floor was not yet furnished. The fire was nice on a morning which was a tad chillier than normal. She poured and handed me the cup. I told her about Quin’s note. Her mood changed.

It was obvious she was worried about Quin. Ms. Macchi told me she knew Quin had departed as she had tried to call on him in Laudanum but she had not known why he had left. Ms. Macchi’s reaction to Quin’s note he had found something in his brief study, made clear to me that this finding was something of significance. But Ms. Macchi just sat quietly, thinking, sipping her coffee and looking at the fire.

Though the moment didn’t seem right I felt I must tell her about my recent visit from Elspeth Sorrelwood and about Ms. Sorrelwood’s request that I watch over Quin during his stay. Ms. Macchi began sipping her coffee a bit faster but still, said nothing. “Dot, are you all right, my friend? I had never called her by her first name before but I sought to snap her from this trance-like stare. She did not flinch. After a long moment she finally said, “Yes, Mr. Whitfield, I am fine.” It was clear she was not.

Feeling I had done enough damage for one day with two pieces of what seemed to be important news but which had surely distracted Ms. Macchi, I finished my coffee quickly and excused myself. I stood but Ms. Macchi did not move. “I shall let myself out Ms. Macchi. Thank you for the coffee.” I moved toward the door. Then out the door. When I reached the stairs I heard her call, “Thank you, Mr. Whitfield.” I left for Ebonshire with the feeling I had ruined her day.

It seems Mistress Sorrelwood had concerns for Quin -- the fact that she had taken time to raise those concerns with Mr Whitfield surprised me (and he too was surprised by her visit and request, I gather).

Now, reading Andy's post above, I suspect I know what Quin might be up to. I am dreading the possible consequences...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:06 am 

The work is coming along just fine. The apartment-walls are up, the apartment-areas surrounded with enclosing hedges, the ground is paved. Rather easy work due to the flat ground of sand-mixed soil.

Quin has been visiting but he wasn't in a mood to talk though. He just nodded and then walked around the area, looking and touching walls... and suddenly he was gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:45 pm 

Quin's latest entries in the Shell 415 logbook confirm that my concern was justified:
Quinquifid Oddenfen wrote:
November 17
Systematically adding elements from Kamali's signature into the Descriptive Book for Serene. Results not always what I expect. Need to be careful -- all too easy to cause instability.

November 19
Modified small temple structure in Serene so that its roof will act as "cage" for a Devokan sphere. Seems appropriate to try to capture red type -- associated with Skysong's destruction but Kamali's creation.

November 20
Much to my relief, the experiment has worked, and remarkably Serene is still stable.

November 21
Visited Shell 415 to check on progress (all to plan, looking good); ametist was working there. Nodded a greeting, then linked out.

November 22
Where did I put that Linking Book to Serene?! Did I leave it in Shell 415?

======
OOC: If you would like to keep up with events as they unfold and have access to Ahra Pahts Shell 415, the last page in Quin's logbook explains how to set it up to automatically update itself (and how to turn this off afterwards). D'Lanor developed this feature.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next