It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Myst Live on Mac??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:14 pm 

Am i right that as i am a Mac owner i can't get this on the Mac as it says Windows and it's an .exe file?? :o(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi Kt78,

Some folks have been able to run MOUL on Mac's using a procedure outlined in the attached link. It looks a bit involved to me, but give it a read and see if you can follow:

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 072#315072

Cheers,

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:44 pm 

Thanks for that but yes... erm... i'm not quite that clever! Far too involved i think!! Shame, i'll just have to wait i suppose until it's more readily accessible for Mac users :o(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:13 pm 

MacPorts is the easiest way. There post dadguy links to has step-by-step instructions.

You do have to install XCode first, it's on your Mac OS install DVD, very easy to do.

If you can't or won't do that then your only option is wait until PlasmaClient for Mac is available with a self-installer, but there's no definite time for that.http://plasmaclient.servegame.org/

[Edited to remove redundant info]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:48 pm 

kt78 wrote:
Thanks for that but yes... erm... i'm not quite that clever! Far too involved i think!! Shame, i'll just have to wait i suppose until it's more readily accessible for Mac users :o(

HI!
using the old gametap cider wrapper is not more tricky than putting the downloaded PC-files in the right folder. No terminal typing necessary. Read a little in the suggested thread. The post directed to above describes the folder path there and how to open the mac application. It is really just another folder that can be opened if you look at it that way. Follow it as a step by step instruction. It is good and you won't go wrong. As you can see there is quite a path of folders to open to arrive at the right location for the windows program UruLauncher.exe. But it really is not complicated once you think of it as another bunch of nested folders.
The changing of text files can safely be ignored.
The terminal commands are really just scortcuts and not needed if it complicates things.

Last edited by Rudolfson on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:28 pm 

kt78 wrote:

You'll be waiting a very long time. There will likely never be a Mac native version of Uru. The other choice on a Mac beside what everyone else mentioned is to get a copy of Parallels and run Windows on your Mac that way. Uru worls perfectly, as do many other Windows games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Firesign, I must respectfully disagree with you.

Paladinofkaos is developing Plasmaclient which can be downloaded from Macports and run natively on osx (see the thread elsewhere on these forums - can't find it now cos I'm writing on a mobile platform). At the moment it's no easier to install than the Cider implementation, and nowhere as near as polished, but that's because it's in the early stages of development, and Paladin is having to reverse engineer it because Cyan haven't yet fully open sourced the code for MOUL.

I think Paladin and colleagues will successfully complete the development, and I'm sure that once the code is open sourced there will be accessible native mac clients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

And I must say, based on the screenshots, the project seems to be progressing quite rapidly. I've been tempted to try it out myself but I haven't had time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

kt78 wrote:

There are three steps.
  1. Download and install Xcode
  2. Download and install MacPorts
  3. Open the Terminal and type "sudo port install mystonline-cider"

That's not really hard, is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:02 am 

Or you can do what I did and run it natively under windows. That is of course, if you have an Intel Mac and a copy of windose. All I did was installed another hard drive in my Mac and put windows on that. Runs just as bad (I mean good) as it would on a pc box.

Just my 2cents. :D

Froggie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:08 pm 

I use the gametap port myself. It was pretty easy, all you have to do is copy and paste the new version in. There's also some good info here:

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16962

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19182

Tesseract wrote:
The Cider wrapper is still freely available from GameTap: http://archives.gametap.com/static/uru-client/mac/mac_myst_setup.dmg

With just a little adjustment, it can be made to connect to the new server and update itself.

If you download that, you can take the new version of the game (you can't use the version it comes with, it's set to try to connect to the Gametap servers and not Cyan's) and replace the old version. No terminal code, just some digging around in the game files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:30 pm 

rainbow wrote:
kt78 wrote:

There are three steps.
  1. Download and install Xcode
  2. Download and install MacPorts
  3. Open the Terminal and type "sudo port install mystonline-cider"
That's not really hard, is it?

Well, I'm 2/3 of the way there. Last step question: what is meant by 'open the terminal?' Where is it? Do I open Xcode and if so, which step is the terminal? Do I start by creating a new project? Would someone be willing to guide me through this step by step. I imagine it would help other 'novice Xcoders who just want to play Myst online.' <G>

Post subject: MOUL for Mac
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

kt78,

As I have mentioned in a similar threads, MOUL can be run natively on the Mac without the assistance of Bootcamp or Windows Virtual software. If you need a blow-by-blow description of all the various ways to achieve this, the specific post you'll want to look at is Rainbow's. However, if you are looking for the easiest solution (in my opinion) to getting MOUL up and running on your Intel Mac, doing it yourself by hand using the following instructions paraphrased from Rainbow should get you up and running MOUL on the Mac without loading additional software without too much fuss.

1. Download the old Mac client from Gametap, mount the disk image, and copy Myst Online.app to your Applications folder (or, if you played MO:UL years ago on your Intel Mac and saved a copy of the app, use that, because it already contains most of the assets the game needs and you won't have to download them again).

2. Download the UruLauncher.exe file here.

3. Replace UruLauncher.exe in /Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/ Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live with the new copy.

Once you have the new UruLauncher.exe, how do you put it inside Myst Online.app? You can do it in the Finder:

In the Applications folder, Control-click Myst Online.app. and highlight "Show Package Contents". In the resulting window, go into Contents, then Resources, then Control-click again on this Myst Online.app. Again navigate into Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > Program Files > Uru Live. Drag the new UruLauncher.exe from wherever you put it on your hard drive into this folder and replace the old one.

This worked for me. After launching Myst Online.app, it downloaded a new patcher, then downloaded about 400MB of updates (slowly), then let me log in (very slowly) and eventually got me into the cavern. (If you used a fresh Myst Online.app from the Gametap disk image, it'll need to download a lot more than that.)

Hope this helps to simplify the process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:43 am 
Obduction Backer

a_swift wrote:
what is meant by 'open the terminal?' Where is it? Do I open Xcode and if so, which step is the terminal?

The Terminal is a program provided by Apple. It is in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on your hard disk. You can get there by choosing Utilities from the Go menu in the Finder. At no point do you ever need to open Xcode.

Post subject: MOUL for Mac
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is really not necessary to load or use any additional programs (Terminal, Xcode, MacPorts, etc.) to make URU Live work on the Mac. To put it simply, you just need to replace the UruLauncher.exe file in the Myst Online application as referenced previously in the earlier posts.