It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:11 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 pm 

Thanks, Malfhok,

That seems straight forward enough. I found Terminal that way and went to open it only to get an error "Terminal quit unexpectedly." Ugh! I do have MacPorts downloaded and Xcodes so not sure why I'm getting this error...over and over.

Any suggestions?

And still wondering more and more if the Myst Online game will be worth this. <lol>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:05 pm 

Update: downloaded Terminal from web and installed it, opened it and clipped and pasted in the command:

sudo port install mystonline-cider

it asked for my computer password -- typed it in, and got back:

---> Computing dependencies for mystonline-cider
---> Dependencies to be installed: mystonline-bootstrap
---> Fetching mystonline-bootstrap
---> Attempting to fetch UruLauncher.exe-1.893.zip from http://distfiles.macports.org/mystonline
---> Verifying checksum(s) for mystonline-bootstrap
---> Extracting mystonline-bootstrap
---> Configuring mystonline-bootstrap
---> Building mystonline-bootstrap
---> Staging mystonline-bootstrap into destroot
---> Installing mystonline-bootstrap @2010_1
---> Activating mystonline-bootstrap @2010_1
---> Cleaning mystonline-bootstrap
---> Fetching mystonline-cider
---> Attempting to fetch mac_myst_setup.dmg from http://ykf.ca.distfiles.macports.org/Ma ... mystonline

Okay. Now what does all that mean? What do I do next? Still confused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

That means it's working and downloading! It should write out a done message when it finishes. Be patient… Uru is a big game!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:37 pm 

Well, it looks as though it might be working. I have a small screen on my computer that says, " URU Live Updater" and it is SLOWLY but surely moving. Sounds good, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sounds good. It does go slowly during the initial download, and then each time you launch the game, it will have to do a much smaller download to make sure the game files haven't been tampered with. So this is the big first push. :)

(Be glad you're not trying to download during the first week… That was a nightmare!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:40 am 
Obduction Backer

a_swift wrote:
I found Terminal that way and went to open it only to get an error "Terminal quit unexpectedly."

Is it possible you have more than one copy of Terminal on your computer -- perhaps a copy from an older or newer version of Mac OS X than you're running -- and that Spotlight found and ran that version? Try explicitly opening the correct Terminal. It's in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on your hard disk. You can get there by choosing Utilities from the Go menu in the Finder.

a_swift wrote:
Update: downloaded Terminal from web and installed it

Not sure what you downloaded, but as far as I know, Apple's Terminal is available only as part of Mac OS X; it is not available as a separate download anywhere. Perhaps you installed somebody else's terminal application. It sounds like it ended up working, but you should still figure out why your original Terminal did not work, and identify what you downloaded that did work.

a_swift wrote:
I have a small screen on my computer that says, " URU Live Updater" and it is SLOWLY but surely moving. Sounds good, right?

Yes, it's now downloading the game files. Note that the game files are about as big as Xcode, so it sounds like that'll take several hours on your connection. You can leave it, come back to it later, you can even quit it and re-open it later and it'll pick up downloading where it left off. The game files only need to be downloaded once, then they'll stay on your computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Not sure if this has been posted, but I found a tiny modification that can be made.

If you Spotlight the Myst Online app, you get __MyCompanyName__,2007 for the copyright date.

If you open /Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings you can change that.

I changed mine to Cyan Worlds 2003-2011. The Myst Online app in the Myst Online app uses 2007, but I guess that's up to whoever wants to change it.

Just a little cosmetic change, but thought I'd share it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:24 am 
Obduction Backer

So I'm attempting the Macports method of getting Uru started up on my new Mac tower, and am currently sitting, staring at the "Checking for patcher update" on my URU Live Updater. Is this a good thing? Should I go to work in the morning and assume everything will fix itself?

I ran into a few "errors" in Terminal, but I don't know if they're relevant:
Code:
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed (see log for details)
Log for mystonline-cider is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_games_mystonline-cider/main.log
Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.

Thanks for any help I can get, guys. :)
-C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shoom'lah,

I have been posting these instructions in other threads. I might as well post it here as well.

As I have mentioned in a similar threads, MOUL can be run natively on the Mac without the assistance of Bootcamp or Windows Virtual software. If you need a blow-by-blow description of all the various ways to achieve this, the specific post you'll want to look at is Rainbow's. However, if you are looking for the easiest solution (in my opinion) to getting MOUL up and running on your Intel Mac, doing it yourself by hand using the following instructions paraphrased from Rainbow should get you up and running MOUL on the Mac without loading additional software and without too much fuss.

1. Download the old Mac client from Gametap, mount the disk image, and copy Myst Online.app to your Applications folder (or, if you played MO:UL years ago on your Intel Mac and saved a copy of the app, use that, because it already contains most of the assets the game needs and you won't have to download them again).

2. Download the UruLauncher.exe file here.

3. Replace UruLauncher.exe in /Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/ Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live with the new copy.

Once you have the new UruLauncher.exe, how do you put it inside Myst Online.app? You can do it in the Finder:

In the Applications folder, Control-click Myst Online.app. and highlight "Show Package Contents". In the resulting window, go into Contents, then Resources, then Control-click again on this Myst Online.app. Again navigate into Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > Program Files > Uru Live. Drag the new UruLauncher.exe from wherever you put it on your hard drive into this folder and replace the old one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shoom'lah wrote:
So I'm attempting the Macports method of getting Uru started up on my new Mac tower, and am currently sitting, staring at the "Checking for patcher update" on my URU Live Updater. Is this a good thing? Should I go to work in the morning and assume everything will fix itself?

Checking for patcher update should only take a few seconds; if a new patcher is found, it should only take a minute or two at most to download it. Downloading the actual game files may take considerably longer depending on your Internet connection speed, but it doesn't sound like you've gotten to this step yet. However:

Shoom'lah wrote:
I ran into a few "errors" in Terminal, but I don't know if they're relevant:
Code:
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed (see log for details)
Log for mystonline-cider is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_games_mystonline-cider/main.log
Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.

This confuses me. The error means MacPorts could not install Myst Online. But if it could not install Myst Online, how were you able to run Myst Online to arrive at the "Checking for patcher update" message?

Please show me what's in the main.log file mentioned above; that should help us see why it failed to install. This may be a large file, so to avoid bothering everyone in this thread with its contents, you could send it to me as a private message, or you could file an issue in the MacPorts issue tracker and attach it there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rhendalle wrote:
Shoom'lah,

I have been posting these instructions in other threads. I might as well post it here as well.

As I have mentioned in a similar threads, MOUL can be run natively on the Mac without the assistance of Bootcamp or Windows Virtual software. If you need a blow-by-blow description of all the various ways to achieve this, the specific post you'll want to look at is Rainbow's.

Sorry, I guess my post didn't make it clear, but I've already read the entirety of this thread and gone through the process in rainbow's post- That's why I'm at the point where I'm asking more about my specific problem with Terminal/Uru Updater.

rainbow wrote:
This confuses me. The error means MacPorts could not install Myst Online. But if it could not install Myst Online, how were you able to run Myst Online to arrive at the "Checking for patcher update" message?

Please show me what's in the main.log file mentioned above; that should help us see why it failed to install. This may be a large file, so to avoid bothering everyone in this thread with its contents, you could send it to me as a private message, or you could file an issue in the MacPorts issue tracker and attach it there.

Thanks so much- I'll get that info over to you when I get home tonight. I'd love to get this figured out.

-C

Post subject: MOUL on a Mac
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shoom'lah,

I guess I did not make myself clear, either.

Rainbow had several different solutions to the problem of getting MOUL on the Mac. The purpose of my post was to simplify his post by choosing what I believed was the simplest solution to the problem and condensing it down to that solution only. There is no need to load additional software (Xcode, MacPorts) and no need to mess with Terminal. For a computer illiterate like me, loading additional software and using Terminal only served to complicate what is really a fairly simple process:

Download the mac_myst_setup.dmg disk image file and copy Myst Online.app to your Applications folder.

Download the UruLauncher.exe file and replace the old UruLauncher.exe file buried inside the application with the one you just downloaded.

That's it! The only tricky part is opening up the contents of the the application to replace the UruLauncher.exe file. (I had never known that you could 'open up' an application to expose the files within it!)

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: MOUL on a Mac
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:36 pm 

Quote:
Download the UruLauncher.exe file and replace the old UruLauncher.exe file buried inside the application with the one you just downloaded.

Both uru launchers that are provided are widows files how can that be put into the mac application. The other file is the same installer as what step one had.

I found this all easy up until that point as I have been waiting for the easiest way possible because I am not a wiz at this stuff.

And thanks to everyone that is always helpful us less experienced!

Post subject: Re: MOUL on a Mac
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:08 pm 

spring&fallwidow wrote:
Both uru launchers that are provided are widows files how can that be put into the mac application. The other file is the same installer as what step one had.

This is why we are using the oldMacClient, it has the ability to make that windows file work in Mac. The answer to your question is just a couple of posts above this one...posted by Rhendalle:
Quote:
3. Replace UruLauncher.exe in /Applications/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/ Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live with the new copy.

Once you have the new UruLauncher.exe, how do you put it inside Myst Online.app? You can do it in the Finder:

In the Applications folder, Control-click Myst Online.app. and highlight "Show Package Contents". In the resulting window, go into Contents, then Resources, then Control-click again on this Myst Online.app. Again navigate into Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > Program Files > Uru Live. Drag the new UruLauncher.exe from wherever you put it on your hard drive into this folder and replace the old one.

Last edited by Leonardo on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:52 pm 

I followed these 3 steps,and it will not launch. What did I do wrong. Before this it would at least launch. I will apologize in advance for any frustration I create for anyone!

Quote:
1. Download the old Mac client from Gametap, mount the disk image, and copy Myst Online.app to your Applications folder (or, if you played MO:UL years ago on your Intel Mac and saved a copy of the app, use that, because it already contains most of the assets the game needs and you won't have to download them again).

2. Download the UruLauncher.exe file here.

[/quote]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next