It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:06 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Trekluver wrote:
Oh and I'm looking forward to that KI app! Any time frame till you begin the project?

That depends on what you define as the beginning – if it’s getting the idea or decrypting the first MOULa packet dumps to start learning about the protocol, then it has already happened (Feb 2010 and May 2010, respectively). If it’s having the first client code running on iOS – I don’t know, hopefully some time this year. It also depends on what happens on the server front – whether Cyan’s server comes out, how easily I can make Dirtsand run on Mac OS, whether Talcum makes any progress.

I’m glad you didn’t ask about the timeframe until I complete the project, because I couldn’t answer that! ;) (Best guess is “never”!)

Trekluver wrote:
If Christian was willing we could send him the finished app and he could submit it? I don't think it's such a great idea because someone would have to be the beneficiary of it.

I would be OK with that, but I think it wouldn’t be very convenient for the actual developers. Plus of course I can’t give any guarantees about continued renewal of my membership (though I have no plans to stop it either at this point) or timely response or anything. I’m not sure what you mean by “beneficiary” – if the app is free, neither I nor anyone else gets anything from it.

dragossh wrote:
I think a web-app would be less useful for both us and whoever gets to use it. If you want a webapp, Safari is there ready to visit Mystlore, but you can't have that offline. And there are a lot of offline users, like me, who don't have a wireless connection.

You’re saying a web app wouldn’t work offline? Belford says it would. Who’s right? I don’t know either way, I have never looked into web apps. If it doesn’t work offline, then obviously a native app is the only way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
You’re saying a web app wouldn’t work offline? Belford says it would. Who’s right? I don’t know either way, I have never looked into web apps. If it doesn’t work offline, then obviously a native app is the only way to go.

A web-app /could/ work offline if it was designed to do so...but that would, again, require a local cache (to view previously viewed stuff) or a local copy (view everything, huge download).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:02 am 
Obduction Backer

OHB, i like the OHBot idea. How long could you finish that in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Seeing that he already has a chat interface setup on the XAMPP interface, it probably shouldn't be too hard to develop upon.

No progress today on the icon since I've been gone all day (I was in three states today!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:28 am 
Obduction Backer

pokemon71096 wrote:
OHB, i like the OHBot idea. How long could you finish that in?

I can supply the web interface and documentation for it rather quickly. But I won't do any programming for the iOS app.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:43 am 
Obduction Backer

ok.
And, nice job, Tan! That's an accomplishment. Hopefully it wasn't too rushed and unfortunate. On a trip, we went to Las Vegas, flew back to PA for a funeral, then back to Las Vegas the next day. RUSHED.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Truth is if we drop OHBot support from the pedia app then Christian can use it as a major feature in his app. Plus, Christian, if Cyan doesn't care then you should be able to sell the KI app for $.99US or $1.99US. I'd buy it and the revenues from it should help with further development.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:45 am 
Obduction Backer

Trekluver wrote:
Truth is if we drop OHBot support from the pedia app then Christian can use it as a major feature in his app. Plus, Christian, if Cyan doesn't care then you should be able to sell the KI app for $.99US or $1.99US. I'd buy it and the revenues from it should help with further development.

Sounds good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
A web-app /could/ work offline if it was designed to do so...but that would, again, require a local cache (to view previously viewed stuff) or a local copy (view everything, huge download).

The same huge download that you'd need for a native iOS app. Obviously.

The article on making an offline-usable web app for iPhone is at:

http://developer.apple.com/library/safa ... Cache.html

It's just a matter of adding a manifest file, with the correct MIME type and format, and adding an attribute to the web site's front page's <html> tag. The browser will then download everything listed in the file and cache it. This works for Android too, as far as I know.

The only problem is that it's limited to five megabytes of files (currently). That's room for a lot of text articles, but not so many images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:43 am 
Obduction Backer

So any progress?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:05 am 
Obduction Backer

NO. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:05 am 
Obduction Backer

I haven't gotten around to working on the icon any more than I already have (which is pretty much only the back canvas). I'm hoping to work on it tomorrow. I have been watching some videos on iOS development though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:33 pm 

pokemon71096 wrote:
NO. :evil:

Chin up

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

This isn't something that will go by fast, especially when we have very little knowledge of Cocoa and such. Plus, why rush? If we rush, it probably won't turn out well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

I realize that tan but I'm just trying to keep up. :) We need to have an in app page that's like a mobile version of Myst Journey, music and all.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next