It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:58 pm 
Cyan Employee

Explorers,

An explanation of what "The Hood of Illusions" is....

As you may have read from my IC counterpart, we are trying something new in the Cavern: two new neighborhoods where the hackers who have been playing by the rules are authorized to make changes on the live MOULa server. Creating these specific 'hoods serves several purposes: 1) It provides an authorized location for those who want to see / experience the changes that can be made, while keeping the other instances of the Cavern unaltered for those who do not. 2) If any of those changes cause unintended, unforeseen problems, it's more desirable to reset a private instance than to have to reset the main, public instances.

The first of these hoods will be called "The Hood of Illusions". This hood is meant for the scheduled hacking demonstrations that were suggested recently. When the demonstration is over, the hood should be put back in its normal state.

The second hood will be called "The Fun House", where these "illusions and special effects" can happen at any time.

A few notes of clarification:
- "Cracking" (making unauthorized changes on the live server to any hood other than those specifically authorized for this purpose, or making any changes that are malicious in nature) is still against MOULa policy. Just don't do it.

- In the context of authorizing changes on the live server, approved hoods' instances are also considered as part of those hoods, (e.g. demonstrations can happen in The Hood of Illusions' instance of Kadish, or have skydiving in The Fun House's instance of the City.)

- This is an experiment. If these new freedoms are abused, or if they end up making more work for us at Cyan, the experiment will very likely end. Play nice: respect all other explorers even if you do not agree with them, both here in the forums and in the Cavern. If things go well, and it can be shown that there is need for other hoods in the future to serve other specific purposes, we'll "burn that bridge while we're crossing it." For now, though, we're sticking with just these two.

Thanks for your continued cooperation and support.

RAWA

"I don't know the keys to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone." - Bill Cosby
"We try anyway." - RAWA
"That is why you fail." - Yoda
This post was brought to you by the word "authorized" in return for its overuse for the sake of clarity.

Last edited by RAWA on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:50 pm 

I just want to say that, while I disagree with the hacking in general, I understand that it's become an integral part of keeping things moving along. That said, this is an awesome idea because not only does it show the people that Cyan is willing to make concessions where applicable but also gives it an IC reason for existing so as not to break the immersive aspect of the game. I fully support this idea!

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:28 pm 

I can't wait! I don't know enough to do any hacking myself, but I can't wait to see other people's work. And the Fun House bevin sounds especially exciting, never knowing what is going to happen!

Thank you Cyan, and whoever else is involved!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wow. I am intrigued by what this may eventually mean for the community and the possibilities for other Neighborhoods in an IC, immersive, storytelling aspect. Looking forward to observing the experiments!

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

I know that there are many who are pleased it wasn't called "Illusions' Bevin". :P

Very nice to get an announcement on February 4th. That date seems quite familiar for some reason.

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:36 pm 

oh god,i gota go change my pants!!!!anything like what happened 2 weeks ago is just superb,cant wait :o)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is Super Kewl Uber Awesome Fantastic News!! I am so Excited!! This is a GREAT decision!! and I am so HAPPY to hear it!!

Thank You Cyan!! You've made me one very happy explorer! :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is all really very exciting... I am stunned by this wonderful unexpected surprise
and even inside of MOULa, the cavern, wrapped up into an ICly context and thus a
canon story line... /cheer... :P

So, we're going to experience DRC sanctioned hacks lol, which will be no hacks anymore
from now on, and what I loved the most while reading their announcement on the drc forums
is their labeling of our precious fellow explorers as 'illusionists and special effects designers'
as well as their acknowledgement of the abilities of those literally, between the lines and
of course through this very act of providing the safe environments and facilities and granting
the opportunity to officially test and demonstrate the fruits, the achievements of their efforts,
their talents and skills...

Kudos and thanks to the DRC, to you dearest RAWA and all at Cyan... It seems the ending
can and will really never truly be written... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:15 pm 

Wow. This is really great. Can't wait to see it!!!

face in puddle man wrote:
oh god,i gota go change my pants!!!!anything like what happened 2 weeks ago is just superb,cant wait :o)

ROTFL!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
This is great news, RAWA! It sounds like we may well and truly be on our way to Open Source.

But, yeah, the Hood of Illusions reminds me too much of the "Guild of Illusions" - and we all know what that was about! :lol:

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:07 pm 

I'm glad this became public in time to discuss it at the AGM :)

In the fallout of the last cracking "event", I posted a thread about having a hacking demonstration. When that thread was locked, I contacted RAWA and he agreed to work out an official way for such a thing to take place. I think this is a huge show of faith on Cyan's part, and moving forward I hope all of us in the development community can prove that faith was well-placed. That means everyone on their best behavior... especially those who have had disagreements with other segments of the fan base in that past (you know who you are).

I think this is an opportunity for us to become more a part of the overall Uru community. By the nature of what we do, we've been somewhat isolated. We can't really discuss our projects in great depth on these forums (though Cyan has graciously allowed many of them to have threads here). These hoods will allow us to interact with the rest of you in ways we haven't really been able to before. I'm looking forward to healing the rift that's formed over the years, and hopefully as time passes welcoming more people into a growing group of developers.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is a VERY good idea, I'm gonna check them out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oh how exciting! I can't wait to try it out!

"beauty behond treasures, is light before your eyes"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:23 pm 

this sounds like an extremely fair compromise - and is very generous on cyan's part. thank you, cyan!!

for those that will be providing the entertainment, please don't go overboard and mess things up - let this be a good first step in a new partnership between cyan and the fans! and thanks, in advance, for the fun you'll be providing!

Image ki #101936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:31 am 

I think this is a great idea. Thanks for taking on the extra work!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next