It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:05 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:15 am 

One point that RAWA made is that all the instances belonging to the Illusions and Fun House avatars will be open for the same sorts of hacking as the Neighborhoods themselves. This is cool, but it does present a bit of a problem: How do we get people to the instances they need to go to.

One option is age invites, of course. That's the simplest way, and if we can find an easy (read: automated) way to get all the invites out that are needed, that might be what we'll go for. This still means people have to know which age to go to, and where in the age to go for the show. I'd rather OHB be able to just tell people "Go to the Illusions neighborhood for the show" every time. That means some way to get people from the Illusions hood to some specific location in some other age quickly and efficiently.

My idea is to write a piece of software that would link an avatar into the classroom of the Illusions hood. Then when people come to the Illusions hood, it will send them a PM "Hey, the event is in Kadish, come to the classroom to use the linking book." My program would keep track of where people are in the Neighborhood, and anyone that enters the classroom would be linked to the correct age for the show that week.

Initially I had thought to link people directly from the link-in point, but I feel this way maintains some sort of IC-ness to it, and allows people who visit the hood randomly to choose not to follow the link if they don't want to - they just have to avoid the classroom.

I'd like to know how people feel about this, since it's a brand-new thing in the cavern. If many of you are against it, I'll try to find a way to make invites easy.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:20 am 
Obduction Backer

I do like the idea of linking only the people who volunteer to go by heading to a certain location. That would probably be an acceptable way of working it. No problems with that method from me! :)

(Ever since Myst 5, I've loved forced links... :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:34 am 
Obduction Backer

If it can be made to work IC, I think I would be all for it. It would avoid the pain of manual invites that we deal with in The Public Age Project. In fact, perhaps a few techniques used by the "illusionists" can some day be put to use in The Public Age Project to make things simpler. There would be things to consider and plan, and issues (such as permissions) to work out before that could ever happen. It's fun to think of future possibilities though. We'll see how well things go in the coming months. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:53 am 

EccentricOne wrote:
If it can be made to work IC, I think I would be all for it. It would avoid the pain of manual invites that we deal with in The Public Age Project. In fact, perhaps a few techniques used by the "illusionists" can some day be put to use in The Public Age Project to make things simpler. There would be things to consider and plan, and issues (such as permissions) to work out before that could ever happen. It's fun to think of future possibilities though. We'll see how well things go in the coming months. :D

For the Public Age Project, a possibility is to have it always link to Public Age's Relto, and from there folks can go to whichever age they want.

This would have to be far in the future, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:03 am 
Obduction Backer

Yea, I have actually been thinking on and off about different ideas for awhile now. None of which would probably be implemented for a very long time. Ultimately, once the opening of the sources is finished, we might be able to ask Cyan for permission to set up easy to access ages. Then the project would no longer even be needed. But I guess I am getting slightly off topic now. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:05 am 
Obduction Backer

This is all so great and exciting!!! .. :P

Yeah, Paladin or Branan, I love the idea you've proposed which implies that the moment
(or a minute later as it takes sometimes a minute or so to acually arrive at the linkin' point
and firmly in the hood) anybody links into one of those two neighborhoods he/she'll get a
PM telling that and where an event is taking place and where one could find the link to that
presentation (great idea to present this all in an IC way for all those who need it)...
So, in your mentioned example one would be informed through this PM (it should be posted
on the imager as well) to enter the classroom to find the link to the event...

The moment someone enters the classroom one would be linked to the place where the event
is happening... Wow! That is really very nice and gives the whole, the cavern experience, so much
aliveness and spirited reality such as if there is happening something and one is directly interactively
(as one still and always has the choice) involved and welcomed or something like this...
Yeah, that's why I also think that of course it'd be nice that everybody will have the choice to just link
into those neighborhoods to just have a look around or get to know what happens or will be happening...

Ok, Branan and all, thanks a lot for everything... Can't wait to follow the developments in person
whenever there is time or at least through the forums... Now I'll prepare myself for the celebration of
my Daddy's birthday wherefore I cannot attend the Guilds fair today, which I've posted already...

Go on having fun and I'm wishing you and us all the best of luck for great extraordinary and magical
developments and experiences and please don't worry about anything, this is an experiment, nobody
is perfect, not always at least lol, our mistakes are gifts and the masters we're learning from haha...
Always believe in yourselves, as for myself at least I believe in you all... Many Blessings.. /cheer... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:22 am 

I like this idea. Definitely I think its better than the link-in point hijack, which would result in people arriving who didn't actually want to be there--they were just checking out Bevins. But if there's some kind of automated message warning about the classroom link, and then the link in the classroom...yes, I think that sounds like a great idea.

MOULa KI#237576

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:20 am 
Creative Kingdoms

I propose that Eddie be used as a proximity link trigger to your events. Maybe link a person if they get within three feet of Eddie. But give it a two second delay so that people could kick Eddie at other people and link them too. ;) At first I thought it might be hard to find Eddie, but I hear the hood was full of him, so he - and his clones - wouldn't be so hard to find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:24 am 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
I propose that Eddie be used as a proximity link trigger to your events. Maybe link a person if they get within three feet of Eddie. But give it a two second delay so that people could kick Eddie at other people and link them too. ;) At first I thought it might be hard to find Eddie, but I hear the hood was full of him, so he - and his clones - wouldn't be so hard to find.

OK I just had a BRILLIANT idea. Force-link Dodgeball! One beachball...if it hits you, you're literally OUT. That would be AWESUM!!!!! Although if it's even possible I'm not sure. Either attaching an event to Eddie or constant real-time physics monitoring to determine hits.

I think I just invented a new sport...we'll call it ohball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:27 am 
Obduction Backer

i can't see that you couldn't collide with any object and link somewhere... the bahro caves and shell portals work like that don't they? you could apply those properties to a card table or cone or any rendered object in the game...

heheh, and i like that idea too!! sounds like a fun time :D

you gray hats have your work cut out for yas... a whole world of possiblities to mess around with!! aren't you excited...? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie wrote:
i can't see that you couldn't collide with any object and link somewhere... the bahro caves and shell portals work like that don't they? you could apply those properties to a card table or cone or any rendered object in the game...

Yeah cuz it's that simple lol. J/K. Not everything can be applied to everything. Objects are not like computers - they don't have code /inside/ them that makes them do things. Rather, objects are just objects. Instead, there's code /next/ to them that watches what happens and then makes them do things. Because of this separation, you can't just take code from one thing and drop it on another thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:40 am 
Obduction Backer

Enlightenment!! I Love it!! that's what we're here for isn't it? pity though... but you say it's difficult not impossible...

so, if i understand correctly the way an object is set to behave under certain circumstances is unique to each object and would have to be retooled to apply to another object? forgive me but i just barely passed with a C in intro to visual basic :oops:

i'm sure you're gonna have to get used to dealing with the non code-savvy such as myself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:03 am 
Creative Kingdoms

OHB wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:

OK I just had a BRILLIANT idea. Force-link Dodgeball! One beachball...

Yo, dude, credit where it's due, man. No co-opting allowed. That's not cool. I want an 85% share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie"...you say it's difficult not impossible...if i understand correctly the way an object is set to behave under certain circumstances is unique to each object and would have to be retooled to apply to another object? forgive me but i just barely passed with a C in intro to visual basic[/quote]

It's either possible or impossible. So you've started learning Visual Basic. You've probably heard about the concept of "Event Driven Programming" even if you haven't tried it yet. Here's the simple version:

[All code written in fake easy to understand code so it's...easy to understand...]

Regular programs starts at the top and goes to the end. There are no "events". If your program has a button, you'll have a loop like this:

10 Create a Button
20 Show the Button
30 Was the button clicked? If so, exit the program.
40 Wait 10 Milliseconds
50 Goto 30

But Event-Driven programs look like this:

10 Create a Button
20 Tell the Button that when it's clicked, it should run the code on line 100
30 Show the Button
40 Wait 10 Milliseconds
50 Am I supposed to be waiting? If not, exit the program.
60 Goto 40
100 Stop waiting

See the difference? In that second example, it doesn't check to see if the button's been clicked...it doesn't have to. The button will do something if it's clicked.

"Without going into gory details..." MO:UL objects don't have "events". MO:UL is not event-driven. MO:UL is like that first example.

Does that explain it?

[quote="JWPlatt wrote:
Yo, dude, credit where it's due, man. No co-opting allowed. That's not cool. I want an 85% share.

Yeah I took your idea and changed it :) But do you really want it called Plattball? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:14 am 

OHB has it mostly correct. The important thing to remember is that Plasma is weird.

Technically some objects do generate "events" when you touch them. They need to be told when the Age is created to generate those events, and when that is setup they're also told where to send those events. There's no simple way to redirect those messages in a way that we can do anything with them.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next