It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:11 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:39 am 
Obduction Backer

With these new hoods, new possibilities are opened up.

What creative uses can you think of for these hoods? Maybe you've got a project in mind?

Ideas So Far
Using hax for custom avatars or scenery for film-making, historical reenactments, plays or other performances
Fun House Cavern Cam
Games using items paged from other ages
Creating a museum of artifacts from other ages by paging in objects

Last edited by OHB on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

I saw a video camera in The Fun House last night while I was peeking over my brother's shoulder… As a filmmaker, I want to know what we can do that. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think OHB was considering trying to rig something up so you could watch the cam on an imager. I did, in essence, rig up the cam to the web last night by making a CavernCam. Sadly I couldn't get it to refresh in intervals less than one second so it didn't look too good (plus it was all done in Java and wasn't very efficient imo). I'm probably going to try and tweak it a bit and see what I can come up with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

It would be cool to have a public web-cam again like the DRC used to have in the old days :)

When I first heard of the HoI, I had to think of an idea I had long ago. I thought it would be cool to recreate a particular part of known D'ni history; the Pento War play (more info). More generally, plays could tell the history of D'ni, Atrus and/or the modern restoration, or even completely new stories. I'm not clear about all the ways how Grey Hats could help to make these possible (I can think of custom avatars and, perhaps, scenery*), but in any case, I thought of the idea immediately when I read the news of the new hoods :) I wonder if there would be interest in watching/participating in this sort of thing?

* In my original idea the play would be held in Jalak, using the columns to build locations with the surrounding platforms housing the audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:07 pm 

Adding books to the classroom sounds fun. :)

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alright, my cavern cam is almost done! You'll need to have javascript enabled to view it but, that shouldn't be a huge issue. All that's left for me to do is stick an avatar in there.

Once all is configured you can see it at http://funhousecam.nintendoaddict.com

It's a little resource intensive atm (the images are large) but I'm trying to get that fixed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

i was actually going to suggest a CavernCam! Great minds think alike ;)
Since you can bring in stuff from other ages (Myst in Ae'gura, Arch in Bevin, etc.) what about an uru "museum"? for example, import the Kadish Statue (maybe smaller), The K'veer Window, the Air Stream, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

So, I've gotten the cam up and running but after a few seconds it likes to stop working (the image apparently doesn't exist anymore). When that happens the script stops and the user has to refresh... kind of annoying...

I'll see if i can figure anything out, plus I may completely restart it since I've been using my Macbook this whole time (which is my main use computer, I'd rather use my PC for the cam).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

stick a caverncam at a good vantage point and link it to a web browser (as tanshin has done) so ppl offline can see if and what is going on in there...

play sports: spawn objects to make goals, balls, the like...

and i love the idea of spawning objects that explorers can interact with to put on theatrical performances...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tanshin and OHB, how about moving the camera to the balcony, better view? Does the physical camera have to be moved?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

the actual model of the camera just has a virtual camera in it, right?

so, there doesn't even need to be a camcorder actually seen in game... the virtual camera can be placed anywhere

virtual camera's aren't even seen by players... they're essentially our view of the virtual environment...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Actually the way I had mine set up was with an avatar in first person. You get a snapshot of the screen and there you go, Cavern Cam :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

tanshin wrote:
Actually the way I had mine set up was with an avatar in first person. You get a snapshot of the screen and there you go, Cavern Cam :P

is that why i was seeing your URU interface and programming interface on the webpage tanshin? i do recall that now, you used your own avvies virt cam...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

@Jamey: Books in the classroom - I'm not sure if that would be possible. I'll pass it along, however.

@Tanshin: Getting a web-cam on an imager is /possible/ but the requirements for doing so to get it to work in the client are...annoyingly large. Don't expect to see this anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

pokemon71096 wrote:
Tanshin and OHB, how about moving the camera to the balcony, better view? Does the physical camera have to be moved?

A better view of the hood, but not of the people :) I think it would be most fun if people could actually go in front of the camera and do whatever they wish. If the cam would be on the balcony, I think you could as well have a static image, as people look tiny from there.

Also, I think the 'virtual camera' in the old days might just have been an invisible avatar that has its screen captured, like tanshin did.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next