It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:45 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
AlienND wrote:
And also I wouldn't be surprised if nearly everything I think of or discover is already known about.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. After four years here, I'm still learning new things and some of it from newer members like yourself. In any case, the point of Uru is exploration and discovery, so whether or not something's already been discovered, it doesn't matter; you can still discover it for yourself.

Think of it this way: Columbus discovered America which was already known about by the natives, but it still made him famous! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

AlienND wrote:
And also I wouldn't be surprised if nearly everything I think of or discover is already known about.

Don't assume that! A lot of things have been discovered long after most people had stopped looking...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

i envy new arrivals for their fresh pair of eyes...

... plus, the beginners bevin er'canna expedition revealed some new tid bits to me as well; i've been around since relatively early in MOULa and only ever played offline uru before that and i'm still discovering new stuff often through other explorers including newcommers because they notice things that regulars seem to pass over.... yeah, such is similar for alot of explorers so i've heard tell...

every time i return to the MOULa statistics page some new statistical category has cropped up. how many more are set to be included? keep more ooie gooey stat-candy comming!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:37 pm 

Especially number of log-ins per week. That'd be really useful stat candy. Not a new request but still a good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:41 pm 

OHB wrote:
The account with [now] 21 avatars is an exception. That's someone who LITERALLY deletes and creates one or more avatars EVERY SINGLE DAY. It's /really/ annoying! And I can't fathom what the purpose of that is. Basically, the script that takes care of that currently only looks to see if avatars have been deleted weekly...and in between they create goodness knows how many avatars. So far close to 200.

I figured out who the culprit is and why and it had nothing to do with pellets and makes a LOT of sense. They make an avatar which is placed in one of the new neighborhoods used to accommodate new players and they put a message in the imager at the neighborhood, giving them tips on what to do, as well as info on the Guild of Greeter's Neighborhood and website. When the neighborhood fills up and creates another DRC bevin, they delete the avatar, remake them and repeat the process. This way, each new neighborhood will have some extra information for new players. At least, I think that is what is going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

If that's actually the case, it's a wonderful and generous thing for them to do. But, perhaps the Grey Hats could save them the trouble if it's possible for them to add this KI message to the imagers remotely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

AlienND wrote:
Norfren wrote:
Yeah, it's an old observation that links to the ages of already nonexistent avatars work (orphan ages).

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me, I've come to MOUL reletively late in it's existance so far.

/me depressed now and requires comfort food, probably chocolate ... lots and lots of chocolate !

I was eating chocolate when I read this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:55 am 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
If that's actually the case, it's a wonderful and generous thing for them to do. But, perhaps the Grey Hats could save them the trouble if it's possible for them to add this KI message to the imagers remotely.

Indeed. Actually I was considering looking into this anyway. Bogus, do you know who it is? Do you have contact info? Can you PM me? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:11 am 
Obduction Backer

OHB wrote:
Tai'lahr wrote:

Indeed. Actually I was considering looking into this anyway. Bogus, do you know who it is? Do you have contact info? Can you PM me? :)

Mystery solved: it's Robin :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
OHB wrote:
Tai'lahr wrote:

Mystery solved: it's Robin :D

LOL yeah I'm getting bombarded with PMs about that too! Given the names of the avatars (and of the other ones on that account) I /really/ should have put 2 and 2 together.

Anyway...now you know who to blame for the stats going nuts. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes, poor Robin (Robbyn is his Greeter avvie name). He had a school project in Communications and he wrote it about communications in an Online game. His idea was to see how he could target new players to help them get assistance with better info. Imagine how much effort goes into this labor of love. He has to log on multiple times per day and create a new avvie to get to the new Hoods, then go to the imager at the new Hood to add the message.

It has actually had good results. It takes at least 10 minutes per new avvie to do the job, so that's about 2000 minutes (in addition to his Greeting activities) that he has spent trying to help new players.

I hope you can help him simplify the effort.

Cheers,

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:37 am 

Oh....I was wandering the cavern and found an imager somewhere that had........this.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

What a tease! That one person with all the sparklies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:55 am 
Obduction Backer

The person who took it doesn't have all the sparks. Also, the sky looks wrong. Plus, the image compression is wrong. It's a fake :) A nice one though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

I find it interesting (and a bit sad) that the most unpopular Relto pages are rain and thunderstorm. (It might be nice to show us a percentage of how many people have each page turned on, by the way.)

Edit: Oops, just clicked through to the suggestions thread at GoW and saw Christian Walther's suggestion of the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

I like rain however I recently turned it off since it can slow down the game on my laptop. And I just don't like thunderstorms... and I especially don't like the bird page.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next