It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:08 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Actually, I can, if I use an ftp client. I can download pdf documents, too. Just not binaries or executable files with either Firefox or IE8. I can play MOUL. It downloads the stuff needed when I load the game.

Firefox gives me zero byte files. IE8 (ugh) tells me "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded." Which settings Bill? The IE8 settings, Win 7 settings, Windows 7 firewall settings, anti-virus settings? Thanks!

I've not changed any settings.

This is with Win 7 64 bit. My machine dual boots into XP and that downloads just fine, so it's not the router having a fit.

I'm open to suggestions. Probably won't get to them until tomorrow mid afternoon as I have to get up at 3:30am for work. that means I'm about to close my baby blues for the night.

Thanks for any input you can give. It just may be something really obvious. I'm too tired to think right now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:26 am 

do you have the service pack?? that came out last week, iirc.

maybe there's a problem with it & it didn't fully install??

i forgot to download it over the weekend...very curious to see what your response is and i think i'm gonna wait to download/install it until you reply!

Image ki #101936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yup. I did install the service pack. Now, I'm trying to remember if I actually downloaded anything that worked between then and last night. I can't even remember what I had for dinner two nights ago so...wait. It was a burger and fries. ::sigh::

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Teknobubba, you can try this:

Go to IE security settings and set them to Medium High and set them to default levels.

That should correct the problem. If problem still exist after this step go to IE Advanced options and and choose 'Restore Advanced Settings'.

Possible that the service pack did change something in the IE8 settings.
Another reason for that change might be a virus or spyware. So have a total scan.

I did download this service packet without any problems. It also give me IE9. Perhaps it is an idea to install that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

veralun wrote:
Teknobubba, you can try this:

Go to IE security settings and set them to Medium High and set them to default levels.

That should correct the problem. If problem still exist after this step go to IE Advanced options and and choose 'Restore Advanced Settings'.

Possible that the service pack did change something in the IE8 settings.
Another reason for that change might be a virus or spyware. So have a total scan.

I did download this service packet without any problems. It also give me IE9. Perhaps it is an idea to install that too.

I've done the reset of IE and the restore advanced settings. No change.

Did a detailed scan for a virus, rootkit, spyware. Nothing. A clean machine.

The problem is more than just IE. Firefox downloads zero byte files, if the file is an exe, for example. Wav, pdf, and the like download OK. I use Firefox 99.9% of the time, so this is a huge issue for me to get fixed. The fact that IE has a similar problem did raise a flag for me...but it's not helped find the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:17 am 

did you uninstall/reinstall firefox?

edit:

silly question...did you download the right service pack? (64 bit if that's what your o/s is or 32 if that's what it is)

Image ki #101936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Didn't re-do Firefox...yet.

The M$oft Update should know which version to download, you'd think. It's 64 bit...so it has to know that. Right? Huh? I mean, really! Uh oh. I should not give it that much credit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:21 am 

yup, you would *think* it would download the correct one...

if you did the download manually rather than using 'windows update', then it could be possible to select the wrong one. yeah, kind of hard to do - my boss would manage to pick the wrong one tho...

did you check basic internet settings from control panel?

what about uninstalling/reinstalling ie? sometimes the updates corrupt it and it needs to be taken off and put back on. did the sp give you ie9 like veralun noted happened? if so, maybe the settings just need to be adjusted - and it may be that some setting is not where it was in previous versions & you just need to find it to set how it needs to be?

although, if firefox won't download either, the problem probably isn't due to software settings (in either ie or ff).

did you check firewall settings?? if using windows firewall there might be a default that blocks certain files from being downloaded that you need to lighten up on. other firewalls sometimes have to be reset after major ms o/s updates...and sometimes even need to be uninstalled completely and reinstalled before they'll work as per how you have it set to.

Image ki #101936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've solved the problem, but I'm still stumped as to why it happened.

For some reason known only to...someone, somewhere who twiddled the bits...Firefox's ability to do things is coupled to Internet Explorer's Internet Options. Disable downloading in IE, Firefox also is unable to download.

Wonder what else is chained to IE inside Firefox.

Thanks for the input. Now, let's all get out there and enjoy the weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:44 pm 

internet settings are internet settings - regardless of which browser you use and where you make setting changes from (ie, from within the browser or through control panel>internet settings)

glad you got it all straightened out - seeya in the cavern!!

Image ki #101936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:37 pm 

This may clear up some of the issue:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_save_or_download_files#Enable_downloads_blocked_by_Security_Zone_Policy_-_Windows

Quote:
Starting in Firefox 3, Firefox honors your Windows Security zone settings for downloading and launching potentially unsafe files from the Internet[...]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah...but why now? Why after working just fine for ages? I made no changes to any settings.

Ah, well. It's back to what passes for normal in a Microsoft world.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]