It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Open Source For Dummies
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:55 am 

Shorah, rahm rovtee!

I have an idea for a new age, and rather than beg others to do the hard work, I kind of thought I'd learn how to develop it myself. So, of course, I got rather excited to learn we were getting closer to an Open Source Uru a few days ago. I went over to OpenUru.org, hoping it would provide me with some useful information about how to get my ages up and available...and proceeded to not have a clue, for the most part, about what they were talking about there!

It made me kinda wish there was an Open Source Age Creation for Dummies. Somewhere where the complexities of Age creation could be pointed out step by step. Is there any internet resource out there that could provide this kind of information in a non-drowsy educational manner? Something that would really teach people what all the technical details of MOUL, MORE, and MOSS really mean? Basically, please assume I'm a man with an idea, a desire, and a blank slate when it comes to these terms! :roll:

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:53 am 
Obduction Backer

The canonical place for discussion of Age Writing is the Guild of Writers: http://guildofwriters.com/. The Guild of Writers Wiki has a wealth of tutorials and other resources about age creation. Other tutorials can be found on the UamWiki. You’ll probably find that much of this is still very technical, but that’s all we have.

Note that age creation is mostly unrelated to the recent open-sourcing of the client. People have been creating ages for years. The only thing that has changed is that the way is clear now for having fan ages in a MOUL-era Uru engine, while previously Complete-Chronicles-(PotS)-era software was used.

If you post on the GoW forum (or maybe even here), I’m sure people who have been in a similar situation as you will come forward to give you more detailed suggestions. Being more of a programmer than an artist myself, I’m not the best person to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:
The canonical place for discussion of Age Writing is the Guild of Writers: http://guildofwriters.com/. The Guild of Writers Wiki has a wealth of tutorials and other resources about age creation. Other tutorials can be found on the UamWiki. You’ll probably find that much of this is still very technical, but that’s all we have.

Note that age creation is mostly unrelated to the recent open-sourcing of the client. People have been creating ages for years. The only thing that has changed is that the way is clear now for having fan ages in a MOUL-era Uru engine, while previously Complete-Chronicles-(PotS)-era software was used.

If you post on the GoW forum (or maybe even here), I’m sure people who have been in a similar situation as you will come forward to give you more detailed suggestions. Being more of a programmer than an artist myself, I’m not the best person to ask.

To further answer the question: It technically broke Ubisoft's license agreement to mod URU:CC so some of the Guild of Writers stuff is now outdated. (Anything relating to Drizzle) However their tutorials are still good reference material. Also, their blender plugins to my knowledge (someone would need to confirm this) are outdated since the one for CWE was released. The tools for building are on openuru.org but the best tutorials for the rendering process is on the Guild of Writers Wiki. I'm sure they will update their stuff soon.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:39 pm 

The Guild of Maintainers is also an excellent place for tutorials and resources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:35 pm 

Considering the source was only released 4 days ago, I think you can forgive the GoW for having outdated tutorials. Like everyone else, the GoW will be updating their site. I agree with Christian that the canonical place for Age writing discussion is the GoW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:43 am 

I suppose the GoW is considered the canonical source for age building by many. I think that is the wrong adjective. I would say GoW is without doubt the historical center for age building with the most information gleaned from studying game code, experimenting, and hands on building and testing.

However, the word 'canonical' denotes and air of officialdom. A tie to the source or author of information. I think most of the GoW's knowledge is hard won from experimenting, reverse engineering, studying files, and lots of trial and error. The recent code release is the largest chunk of code released to date that I think can be called canon.

Andy has made a number of Blender and 3DS tutorials on age building. I think they are on both GoW and GoMa sites.

Those that feel Andy has left the community, are right that he was upset. But, gone... that may be a matter of perception.

I would not say the GoW stuff is all that much out of date. It doesn't target the new MOSS and CWE. It targets a PoTS environment. If you build for that environment, the GoW stuff is up to date, That stuff isn't changing. But, if you change targets, which many are doing, then you have to change tools too and some GoW tutorials are not going to be as handy.

No one in the community has had time to reorient for CWE/MOSS. However, the 3DS plugin in use prior to the code release was made from this just released code. We didn't get all of the plugin code, but the first working copies anyone makes from it will probably have almost the exact same user interface. So, if you learn from the 3DS tutorials, there probably won't by much difference in the plugin until people start working to enhance it. However, the Blender plugin will probably change... or it may not.

Andy builds ages in both Blender and 3DS and is most likely to be able to tell you how much differently things are done in the two and whether it is worth the effort to learn in the current Blender setup. I doubt it as the 2.49 Blender and 2.5x Blenders are radically different. I'm using both and I think 2.5 is easier to learn... even if I do have to keep looking up where functions are in the new menu structures.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]