It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Power of nature? especially hardy organism? spontaneous adaptation? evolution?

... or the plague that eraticated D'ni mutated a minnow or something? (i still like my contaminated lake pellet idear :P )

perhaps kadish was working on D'ni genocide long before Veovis and Ae'Guris? extinction by mutated lake monster!!
now *that's* rly what er'canna is about!!

they just beat him too it... i wouldn't put it beyond him. all indications point to Kadish as a serriously twisted wack job :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:45 pm 

As to how the Semonar survived, the poison was air-born, so if it is type of fish, than it wouldn't have been exposed to the poison. On the other hand, if it truly is whale like and needs to surface for...maybe it can hold its breath for weeks at a time. :)

Do we know if the person stearing the boat is supposed to be an explorer or...someone else?

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:16 pm 

Astr234 wrote:
Thanks for the link HenriMikel! What I saw was, most definately, a boat! :)

One thing confuses me about the Semonar though: if Veovis and A'Gaeris poisoned the lake, how did a giant whale, or anything really, survive? It seems to me the Semonar would have to be reintroduced! :idea:

Thanks!

Interesting point. Maybe the poison/plague went only on the surface, hence why the lake still glows (If it permeated the whole lake, ALL the luminescent algae we have come to know and love would have been destroyed as well.). It's quite apparent, in Book of Ti'ana, that the plague seemed to die out after a few days, or, at least, reach an inert state. So, the plague is possibly an airborne bacteria, as opposed to a virus. Of course, if there was a mediator (Think the Black Plague. Virus carried by a flea.), and it was a bloodborne virus, then the carrier may have died out from lack of nourishment.

Then again, the plague may have affected the Semonar differently, much like how we cannot contract an infection geared towards avian species.

But, what I'd love to see is, you know that famous easter egg in CC, the one involving driving a certain... trailer? Well, I'd like to see the funhouse apply that towards this boat.

Anyone wanna go swimming with the Semonar? I'm sure it's harmless... mostly.

Heck, maybe, at some point, they ought to put in a "D'ni fishing" minigame or something? Of course, if you catch the Semonar, you panic-link as the immense beast pulls you into the depths of the lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

i doubt the semonar and the boat are fully modled... i wouldn't think piloting the boat is possible as it is (could be wrong though) i gather the boat and the semonar are probably a background texture or a crude model. might be another uru what could have been with something fully modled and functional at a later date...
(I have seen concepts for a D'ni speed boat... somehow i don't think this is it judging by the shape of the sillohete and the speed at which the boat travels)

as for whoever is at the helm, prob a member of the drc out for a cruise... the boat may have been repurposed to haul cagro from place to place within the cavern (parts, provisions, salvaged artifacts) but that's just my assumption. is there an official IC explination?

the BoT mentions the reminants of the plague as a fine slimy film that layed a fine layer across surfaces of d'ni. chances are the plague just settled on the waters surface killing only that which was ever exposed to the surface of the water.

seeing as how the plague affected both the D'ni and the algie, two highly different organisms, i can see how it would feasably affect other cavern life forms as well... still, the plague didn't kill all the algie and all the d'ni so perhaps the semonar wouldn't have gone extinct if they are vulnerable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie wrote:
i doubt the semonar and the boat are fully modled... i wouldn't think piloting the boat is possible as it is (could be wrong though) i gather the boat and the semonar are probably a background texture or a crude model. might be another uru what could have been with something fully modled and functional at a later date...
(I have seen concepts for a D'ni speed boat... somehow i don't think this is it judging by the shape of the sillohete and the speed at which the boat travels)

as for whoever is at the helm, prob a member of the drc out for a cruise... the boat may have been repurposed to haul cagro from place to place within the cavern (parts, provisions, salvaged artifacts) but that's just my assumption. is there an official IC explination?

the BoT mentions the reminants of the plague as a fine slimy film that layed a fine layer across surfaces of d'ni. chances are the plague just settled on the waters surface killing only that which was ever exposed to the surface of the water.

seeing as how the plague affected both the D'ni and the algie, two highly different organisms, i can see how it would feasably affect other cavern life forms as well... still, the plague didn't kill all the algie and all the d'ni so perhaps the semonar wouldn't have gone extinct if they are vulnerable.

re: the boat... in the SDL setting that turns them on, they're called "Bahro Boats", no idea why. The fish/whale (there are no canon sources naming it... and myst v is a myst game, and thus, non-canon >.>) is only called the "Darkshape" in the sdl settings.

You can find a few images (in addition to the one linked earlier in the thread) on Chiso ( http://chiso.uruslasthope.com/ ) under "Creatures"

And no, neither of these are really modelled... iirc they're just flat planes. (the darkshape definitely is) and if the boats are modeled at all, they'd still not be useable for riding on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

I saw Das Boot... it was alright...

... i hear Roger Ebert liked it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:30 pm 

I saw the boat a LOT last night at the fun house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:47 pm 

Are you all talking about these?
[spoiler]Dark Shape
Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Bahro Boat
Image[/spoiler]
Sorry for the low definition... I didn't have FRAPS running so I used the KI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Way back when, that camera was actually operational. Story-wise, it was set up by the DRC to provide a live video feed from a neighborhood to the web. And in the early days of Uru, during Prologue, I think, there was actually a web page you could pull up that would show the feed from the camera. I.e., you could see folks walking around in the 'hood, and so forth.

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Wed May 25, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tanshin managed to rig that up one time i was there with em, Mogwog. I've asked him about it but he said he abandoned work on it. whatever page he used is down know afaik. but i could see my AV from my web browser looking towards the cam.

pretty kewl!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:40 pm 

Getting it "working" is easy - you just need an avatar standing there hooked up to a screen capture program. Getting it working properly requires working CCR invisible stuff. I have never been able to get this to work, but admittedly I haven't tried since we got access to the source. As fas as I can tell, though, it's one of those features that Cyan intentionally broke so black hats couldn't take advantage of it for evil.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

i'm guessing then the perspective of the view i was seeing in my web browser was tanshin's av's virt cam from the first person perspective? i'll have to ask him this... i didn't see his av in third person, though i did see a view of the code he was tinkering with from the same view in the web browser.

i've not spoken with him much bout this but i find it interesting. i'll have to ask him about the technical details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

It was indeed an avatar that I made (I believe I called it caverncam or illusionscam or something similar), made all black (like a camera) and stuck him right in front of the camera. I put it into first person and then started a program that would auto-screen-cap frequently. It would save to a local web server and then the web page image was refreshed. Sadly I always ran into issues where the web page would show a partially saved image, thus causing the update to stop for the end user. If I had the throughput and bandwidth (thanks AT&T for the caps!) I would try to make a streaming media server-esque setup so people could see actual video. I suppose we could do it with Livestream but sometimes the framerate gets low (and it's rather processor intensive). It could work though. Maybe once I graduate I'll play with it a bit.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2