It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:30 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Will this help non-techies in the act of age, clothing, yeesha page etc, creation?

I think it will increase the *demand* for textures (2D artwork), over time, as more people start working with the Age tools. Getting techies and non-techies together is an organizational problem, not a software problem.

(I probably don't have time to get into either side of this. But I did go to a Blender user's group meeting this evening, just in case I change my mind. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:28 am 

For better or worse.. there's no stopping it now

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:14 am 

For better, definitely for better. This is excellent. I am so looking forward to seeing what happens now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:07 pm 

Sounds really exciting, it will be nice to be back. So...any servers up yet? do I need to install anything to reach them? and if so, how do I install it?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Does this mean that we're going to get a fix for the Minkata sparklie? :D

Great news about OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

@ Thedstranger no servers up yet. not that have been announced and not that i've heard of. i'd imagine once servers do start going online you'll have to access each one in its own way. which might entail anything this non tech inclined mind is capable of fathoming.

@Rusty prob a good assumption once OS servers go up minkata fixes will start being implemented. on the MOULa server, afaik, don't expect a sparklie fix there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:49 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

ThedStranger wrote:
Sounds really exciting, it will be nice to be back. So...any servers up yet? do I need to install anything to reach them? and if so, how do I install it?

Thanks.

Circumstances will vary depending on a lot of things, but here's a typical scenario for using one of the MOSS based shards, assuming that you want to also retain access to MOULa:
1. Copy your entire MOULa game folder into a new location. Doesn't matter much what you call it.
2. If you've got the copy of PhysX that came with MOULa installed then you'll likely need to update it.
3. Download the urulauncher.exe from your friendly MOSS shard's website (you can't use the urulauncher.exe from MOULa)
4. Run the new urulauncher.exe and it'll patch the files and then start the game, pretty much as normal.

You can then still run MOULa from your original installation.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:00 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Does this mean that we're going to get a fix for the Minkata sparklie?

Not yet.

cjkelly1 wrote:
RYANSUPERGENIUS1123 wrote:
And when MOSS gets released, will the Minkata sparklie be fixed?

The Minkata sparklie is not a problem with the server. It is a problem in the data file on your client. We do not currently have a license from Cyan to modify and distribute those files, but when it is possible to do so, the Uru development community already knows of the problem and can fix it.

http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?p=3988#p3988

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
ThedStranger wrote:

Thanks.

Circumstances will vary depending on a lot of things, but here's a typical scenario for using one of the MOSS based shards, assuming that you want to also retain access to MOULa:
1. Copy your entire MOULa game folder into a new location. Doesn't matter much what you call it.
2. If you've got the copy of PhysX that came with MOULa installed then you'll likely need to update it.
3. Download the urulauncher.exe from your friendly MOSS shard's website (you can't use the urulauncher.exe from MOULa)
4. Run the new urulauncher.exe and it'll patch the files and then start the game, pretty much as normal.

You can then still run MOULa from your original installation.

Wow, I can actually understand these instructions! And this is all very exciting, although I know very little about writing ages (yet, I hope).

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:49 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Please see my post regarding today's anticipated GoW's branch/fork news:

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 729#369729

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:40 pm 

2.5 hours. We'll be ready to talk about things in 2.5 hours (that's 7:00 PM GMT, noon US pacific time).

Anyone who's been paying attention to the wiki changes and IRC chat will have known this is coming - it's not exactly a huge secret. That being said, it would have been since to have been allowed to announce this properly, instead of having our thunder stolen.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:18 pm 

Uru development is srs bzns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:19 pm 

I'm very happy for all of you folks who have been patiently waiting for this news.

That said - how does this affect simple Explorers like me who just like to play in the Cavern? What happens to MOULa? Will it be replaced by these MOSS servers you all are talking about? If not - will those of us who play on it see any of the new fan ages there or will we have to go to a MOSS server instead? Will any of the bug fixes you guys implement on the MOSS servers - i.e. the Minkata Sparkly - migrate to MOULa?

Thanks for any info you can give.....

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:27 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

MOULa stays up. Play all you want! :)

I'll use "server" to mean the software and "shard" to mean the place where you play on that server. MOSS is the name of the server software. People who run the software may give their shard any name they wish. On MOULa, the differentiation is more difficult and you'll just have to pay attention to context.

Others can offer their own open source shards using servers like MOSS. MOULa is not a MOSS server shard. Nor is MOULa an open source server yet.

Fan ages could pop up on any shard, but getting your age on Cyan's MOULa shard would give it a nice cachet. Other shards could grow to be very popular as well if they offer attractive things. You can choose what you like best or play on as many as you like.

MOSS bug fixes would not directly carry over to MOULa. They are very different servers, but use the same protocol. A protocol is how software acts upon a standard set of messages sent to it - just like browsers are different but all use HTML.

The Minkata bug is a very popular question. Please see:
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 587#369587

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:30 am 

Man, I finally get to look up from my taxes this year (had to file an extension, I'm still not done) and I decided to take my usual peek in the URU Forums. It's been a while, bad month. With the Grey Hats getting more and more play in the cavern, I hoped something would finally happen in Open Source. I honestly did not expect it nearly this soon.

Congrats to all here. I think there are going to be a lot of winners. I feel like part of the winners group and look forward to seeing what fellow explorers are creating.

And now back to mergers and stock implications.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next