It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:22 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:53 pm 

I guess I need to put up the RAWA signal...

Ok, here's the deal...

I'm making something and I need a D'ni word because I don't want to do it the, what I think is, slop way of writing the english (or in this case, latin) word in D'ni font. I'd really like the actual word translated into D'ni...

Ok...what I'm looking for is:

What is the word for "Rebirth" in D'ni...or better yet, I need the translation for "Renascentiae" which is Latin for "Rebirth". And how exactly do I spell it in English to get the word to come out right in D'ni font?

Thanks in advance for your help.

KI: 839389

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:04 pm 

Hmm, Rebirth...

We don't have a word for "birth," but we can construct one from "new" and "existence": "mahn'nee." Then adding the re- prefix we get "D'mahn'nee."

Oh, and the D'ni Linguistic Fellowship is a great place to look for answers to questions about the d'ni language. We don't know as much as RAWA, but we're virtually guaranteed to get back to you faster. ;)

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:21 pm 

Owehn,

When going on to the DLF site...what catagory do newbs post their questions? Do y'all have a section for "Ask a Linguist"? Sorry, I didn't know exactly where to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

You'd probably want to go here: http://linguists.bahro.com/forums/index.php?showforum=26. It's the forum for beginning questions. <shrug>

As far as rebirth... how do you mean it? I take it you don't mean, like, and actual birth taking place again. I don't think we have a word, yet, that directly translates to rebirth, but the word "D'ni" means "New Start" (and it's actually spelled d'nee.

But yeah, ask over at DLF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:08 pm 

How do I mean it....

I mean it in the sense that we'll be going home again soon...

I was a Prologuer...so I mean it in the sense of a Phoenix rising from the ashes, the rebirth of our homeworld...

Does that help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:46 pm 
Cyan Employee

devokan (D'nifont: DevoKån)

Literally, it translates as "rebirth", but it is also idiomatically used to represent "hope", as it was used in the Book of D'ni.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:53 pm 

Sh'aeri wrote:

"D'mala" means "return", which is why Cyan revealed that word when they recalled their employees and opened up their own UU server. That certainly has a sense of going home again. "D'mahn" would mean something like re-existence, so I'm not sure you would need the "nee" part as Owehn suggested to express the meaning you want.

"Preniv" means "once again" and "glo" means "begin", so you could use a phrase like "glo preniv" for "begin once again". (I'm not sure that's the right word order, though.)

Edit: So, RAWA sneaks in and drops the official bomb while I'm posting these ramblings. :) Nevermind. (Maybe someday he'll drop a nugget on me, too. Can I borrow your "RAWA flag", Sh'aeri? :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:08 pm 

I LOVE YOU RAWA!!!!!

Thanks so much. I'll let y'all see the final result when I'm done with the graphic....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:09 am 

BrettM wrote:
Sh'aeri wrote:

"D'mala" means "return", which is why Cyan revealed that word when they recalled their employees and opened up their own UU server. That certainly has a sense of going home again. "D'mahn" would mean something like re-existence, so I'm not sure you would need the "nee" part as Owehn suggested to express the meaning you want.

I used "nee" as meaning the "fresh and clean" sense of "new," an idea which "rebirth" carries. Besides, there's another analogous use of the combination "d'-" plus "-nee", which seems to have slipped my mind...

Oh well. Thanks RAWA for clarification on another D'ni word!

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:23 am 

I'm SOOO sorry that this is such a necropost...

But! I wanted y'all to see the graphic I ended up with, it's in my signature bar below. I promised y'all that I'd let you see it when I was done. There is a larger version of this, but it is in my own private stock.

Thank you RAWA for giving me the correct word for "Rebirth" it is fantastic and very ironic that it is also a symbol for hope.

I hope y'all enjoy breaking the image down, there is a lot to take in.

First, I had to start off with my most favorite "Myst" character, The Bahro. They are the least that we have journeyed to free. In other online worlds, some Uruites are like the Bahro, treated as "The Least" by people who do not understand our heritage or know our ways, so the Bahro stands as my dedication to always standing up for the least, never allowing anyone to subdue my people.

The book is next, on the cover is written "Devokan" the word RAWA gave me that means "Rebirth"... It is the symbol of my devotion to the community and our ways, to the rebirth of our home. The relto book will always take me home to my beloved Uru and also holds my hope for the future of our world.

On the right, next to my name are my signature glasses. I wear horned-rimmed glasses in real life, and in the reflection of the lenses is a puzzle on one side and one of the Bahro doors on the other, it reminds me that through my eyes, I can do whatever makes my heart take flight in this world.

Finally, at the end is one of the great accomplishments of my life and one of the greatest gifts the community has ever given me, The 5 rings of the D'ni Games, they have been changed to the D'ni number 4, symbolizing 2007 as the fourth year of the D'ni Games. Through the games, the community taught me that nothing was impossible, that all of our disagreements could be put on side for the joy and happiness that Uru brings us. It enables so many to do so much, so I am proud that it will stand as my legacy in the community.

I hope you enjoy the graphic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:16 pm 

{{{sha'eri}}}

it's beautiful!!! i love all the symbolism!!!

Image ki #101936

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]