It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:43 pm 

Hi all

I’m trying to build up and overview of developments that people are working on or think need happen with regards to CWE.
This is mostly a planning exercise – however the end result is to start producing documentation and action points for developers/organisers to pick out and action from the development systems at openUru.

Think of this as the initial stages of a problem analysis and I am trying to find what people’s goals are and what is preventing them from reaching that goal.

The issue does not have to be technically based, so you don’t have to be a programmer to contribute – however the issue must be involving CWE in some way.

As a start point generally technical people are happy using tools such as trac etc to log bugs – but a general non technical person might feel overwhelmed by using such a tool, and I this could be a perceived as a barrier to reaching a goal.

This issue can be discussed and broken down so that action points brought out which will help progress CWE’s testing for example

Please use this thread for discussion of anything you think maybe valid with regards to CWE. I would be more than happy for you to take discussion elsewhere with regards to this topic, however if you would like it to be read – please link back here.

I am not looking for decisions to be made or solutions to be produced – just what people are working on – or what people think needs to occur in relation to CWE.

Finally if you feel you or a group of you can take on an issue but need some help – take a look at openUru and if needed ask some questions over there.

As this is open source – please be open about your discussions/plans, as this encourages people to engage and help out.

My initial developer based post at OpenUru can be found here: http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=561

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:48 am 

The GoW already has a thread on some of these issues. I'd also encourage you (or anyone else interested in CWE development) to check out my recent blog post regarding OpenURU's handling of the CWE code release.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:19 pm 

PaladinOfKaos wrote:
The GoW already has a thread on some of these issues. I'd also encourage you (or anyone else interested in CWE development) to check out my recent blog post regarding OpenURU's handling of the CWE code release.

Thanks for this - I've taken a look through and there is some good content that is worth looking at with regards to CWE.

I took a look at the blog post you mentioned, it is written from a personal perspective, but it does raise issues you think need to be addressed and they are currently been discussed.

I would like to encourage you to join the discussion or use the current tools (log an issue in the JIRA) at openUru with regards to the issues you have raised - http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=518 - and if possible commit some time to the project.

If the tools are not to your liking - tell us how you think we can make them better accommodating.

OpenUru is about creating an open atmosphere where people can help themselves and by doing so help others - rather than people been dictated to, which has never been popular.

With more people contributing, the quicker things can move forward. Looking forward to your contributions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

DarK wrote:
OpenUru is about creating an open atmosphere where people can help themselves and by doing so help others - rather than people been dictated to, which has never been popular.

Pretty much every successful open source project I know of dictates the terms of contributions. It's not because they're high and mighty but rather so that there is a clear, documented way for other developers to send in their contributions. This clear, documented method allows potential contributors to jump right in and submit their first patches with ease. This can be said about the GoW fork. Two weeks after branan's prodding this is still impossible on OpenURU. The proof is in the pudding at this point. You should seriously compare the list of commits on OpenURU and the GoW fork's netgraph.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:37 pm 

DarK wrote:
PaladinOfKaos wrote:

Thanks for this - I've taken a look through and there is some good content that is worth looking at with regards to CWE.

I took a look at the blog post you mentioned, it is written from a personal perspective, but it does raise issues you think need to be addressed and they are currently been discussed.

I would like to encourage you to join the discussion or use the current tools (log an issue in the JIRA) at openUru with regards to the issues you have raised - http://forums.openuru.org/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=518 - and if possible commit some time to the project.

If the tools are not to your liking - tell us how you think we can make them better accommodating.

With more people contributing, the quicker things can move forward. Looking forward to your contributions.

My issue is not really with the tools - though I find Jira to be a pain, it's tolerable. My issue is with management. Most of the issues raised in my blog post are management issues, and they don't instill me with much confidence in the team as a whole. It's great to say "we want the community to help us sort things out", and when it comes to the direction in which to take the codebase I absolutely 100% agree. But when it comes to basic process questions like "who will be responsible for merge requests" and "how does a developer tell us about his changes", the management team needs to have an answer. Saying "here's the source, we'll figure out how to run the project as we go" is absolutely a failure of management, IMO.

I have no desire to work with a team that I have little confidence in. It will take real progress on the management issues before that confidence can be rebuilt.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]