It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:11 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:32 pm 

Let's see... a donation of about $250,000 might cover about three months of work redoing the wallpaper in the cavern. Then in about 9-12 months, it might be nearly finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Re-texturing everything (because that's pretty much what's required) with stone that looks better under any light above a single candle would be an incredible amount of work, but entirely necessary, at least for those concerned at all with the game's aesthetics.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:44 pm 

I have spent more than a little time imagining what this game could look like if it could be redone using up-to-date tools. I just do not know how it can be done or who could do it. This area is still hands off for us.

(large number of frustrated personal comments omitted...)

I would be happy enough if there was just some live content again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:46 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
If we could get the Light Meter going, I'd also like to see some kind of gadget or widget (Gidget? :wink: ) on the KI interface connected to the Light Meter, so we could get an update on the Lake's progress from anywhere in Uru. Yes, I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but, again, a working Light Meter would go a long way to reassuring pellet-droppers.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:57 am 
Obduction Backer

Except, well... how does the pellet meter work anyways? I mean, RAWA explained the data is taken in, run through a simulation, then fed out into numbers, and periodically those numbers are used to change things. However, that implies it's not a smooth progression, nor is it any kind of clear ratio of pellets->light. Probably meant when the light meter read 0-1, it meant the lighting was at that stage and nothing would show until it was bumped up. Or something of the sort.

As for the cavern, well, most of it is too far for any sort of lighting to matter on it, although the distant rocks could probably use a little bit of improvement and the whole water be brightened up so it's not as focused. On the walls I meant there was some beta city-lit texture.. someone did a mockup (or it was a real beta-picture) of the walls with that on (I think it was Tweek, but I'm not sure). That's the sort of thing.. so it's not just black with some blue lines stretched across for whatever reason in the texture. I swear, it looks like they took a piece of a cubic reflection map, and spread it across the whole skydome of the cavern... only reason it passes is because it's so dark (the texture that is) you can't see it.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:20 pm 

It was my understanding that the pellets didn't actually "work" at all. :lol:

I strongly remember mentions of point totals being taken and run thru a model yes, but the meter and the light level were adjusted manually. This of course ignores the fact that Cyan used a probably accurate dispersion map for a body of water roughly the same size as Lake Ontario. As far as game mechanics go that was a odd choice, most people would have expected a tenth the numbers needed for a 1% increase in the light level (rapid recovery/rapid failure) for more dynamic changes in light. A couple extra pellet droppers for faster local hood or city harbor lighting changes wouldn't have hurt rather then just the slow "Lake" Silo location.

I think your right on the sky dome Gondar.....It gave a good atmosphere feeling back in the day, but I always felt it was more a D'ni made dome over the city and hood rather then a proper sky-dome. Better ambient lighting does help point out the odd seam here and there.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6