It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:17 am 

Hard Skydiving Stuffs

Obligatory to play my 7th release quests (note also that all my recent reviewed quests adopt this nomenclature as well)

What are the hard stuffs?

They are the tricks you must learn and master to be able to play my marker quests. Most of my 166 quests don’t require mastering them or offer alternative to reach the same locations.

I always tried to keep their number low. In my first 6 releases, there were kept very low. Often, you had only to go across, let’s say, a combo jumps elevator right at the start of a quest, for example: “Teledahn Pipe Area”, then you were free and could do the remaining of the quest with normal stuff.

Normal stuff for a skydiver:

Walk-jumps
Run-jumps
Find the wall support and ride the wall
Climb an upward collision wall
Stand jumps elevator also known simply as elevator

For my 7th and last release, I made 22 quests. You’ll find approximately 90 hard stuffs to do. If you do simple math, you’ll come with an average of 4 hard stuffs by quest. It’s an average number. My most hardcore quest inside the 7th release is “Puffers, Waterlilies & Kemos” containing 12 hard stuffs spread on almost 18 markers inside an overall 86 marker quest.

Now it’s time to learn the hard stuffs thoroughly:

The basic concepts first:

Combo jumps elevator also known simply as combo jumps or combos

This is a jumping sequence involving a walk-jump & a run-jump & repeated as long as you didn’t reach your goal. This sequence can only be made on a sharp corner between 2 collision walls. You’ll reach the top of the lowest wall.

Combo jumps elevator without a floor

This kind of elevator is treacherous. You have to reach the elevator with a walk-jump and start right away the sequence of combo jumps (walk-jump – run-jump). You cannot enter in a lag hole and just let your avatar fall back on the floor to redo the whole process; there’s no floor, you’ll go somewhere else.

Super jumps

This is a jumping sequence involving a stand jump & a run-jump done quickly (before the stand jump is finish). Many think that’s a double jump, they are wrong. The lamp jump on Great Stairs to do the zip line launch is a super jump and not a double jump.

Double jumps

This is a jumping sequence involving a walk-jump & a run-jump done quickly. It’s not to be confounded with a super jump. There are 4 types of double jumps: the classic double jump (aka double jump), the standing double jump (done more than quickly), the held double jump (this is when you want to reach something & doing a classic double jump is not enough), and the bouncing double jump (the run-jump will make you bounce high in the air).

You have to feel them, you have to recognize them. If I say in a quest: “...do a standing double jump...” there’s no way a double jump will work.

A classic double jump:

It can be done from any surface, a plane, a collision wall, the ground, you do a walk-jump and as soon as the avatar lifts up from the ground, your avatar will put one foot on the ground, at this very moment, you do a run-jump.

A standing double jump:

It’s not to be confounded with a single combo jump. A combo jump is only done when there’s a sharp corner between 2 collision walls. A standing double jump is calling a sudden elevation in height. Therefore, you must prevent any forward movement on the walk-jump sequence. Since you will mostly do them against a vertical surface, you need to prevent the outcome of a sideway sliding (either left or right). You must do the walk-jump and the run-jump almost as 1 step. This type of double jump is like a launch. You have to surprise your avatar. The result is that you will gain sudden height and reach the desire wall or plane.

A held double jump:

You have to perform that type of double jump where the plane you want to reach is just a bit too far. You have to hold the run-jump part until you reach the desired plane. There’s nothing else you can do beside of that. Already, a double jump is the more powerful jump we have, if that’s not enough, we need to hold it up to its end.

A bouncing double jump:

This is the most exciting double jump & the most annoying. You need instinct. You start with a walk-jump, and as soon as you touch a plane with a slope, you do a run-jump. You’ll bounce from 1.5 to 2 times your height. The outcome is never known unless you are experienced enough. You have to use this type of double jump to reach unprecedented heights when you cannot rely on any other jumps.

The (action) up glitches

Take any basic action: walking, running, walk-jumping, run-jumping, and then make them in succession against a slope to reach a certain spot on top of a collision wall or to jump forward to a high spot ahead, that’s what it is.

I don’t like them a lot because they are unreliable. They work well for some explorers or some system configurations and not at all for others. I use them in my Eder quests mainly because I had no other choice.

Now some particularities that you will come across in some of my 7th release's quests

Landing on a very steep wall

I tried up to the garden ages to avoid them like pest. Landing on a steep wall is trickery. You’ll inevitably lift automatically up on landing. You must instinctively know if you will stand still when the lifting will stop or you’ll descent fast to your Relto instead. If the latter happens, you will have to sidestep to avoid a visit to your Relto.

Sequence inside a sticky wall

Landing and moving inside a sticky wall is very hard and I always tried to avoid that as much as I could in all my quests. In the garden ages, I didn’t have much choice and you will therefore live with it. First, landing on a sticky wall is not an easy task. The wall doesn’t want you even if it’s sticky by nature. If you jump too much on its inner face, you’ll be rejected so fast you will realize it touching your relto hut floor. Once landed on the wall, you have to always move with an angle opposite to the outer face of the wall. The wall will now try to reject you by its outer face. It’s really a game of cat and mouse you have to play with the sticky wall. In some case, you’ll have quite a few steps to do inside them so always take your time and trick the wall on every step.

Landing on a very unstable wall

In Tsogal, I will make you land on a very unstable section of wall. Even if you jump right on the marker putted there, you might drown inside the wall and get stick. Never ever sidestep, go forward, and go backward on an unstable wall. If you landed on top of it and you’re standing still, you have done the hardest. Now...get the fiery abyss out of there as soon as you can. There are other unstable walls I made you land on in other quests but not as very unstable as the one in Tsogal.

Double jump inside a sticky wall to loop & land over the starting point

This is something quite spectacular. In Tsogal, you’ll come to a spot where you will be asked to do a double jump to exit a sticky wall you were moving inside. You’ll be told that the marker way above your head will be your destination. You will be doing a double jump forward to land right above your head way above. This is a fun trick. In fact you’ll bounce on a collision wall & enter back your starting collision wall and be automatically lifted up to its top.

Now that the basic concepts have been introduced let’s go with a new layer of hardness:

Jumping sequences:

Those are the hardest tricks ever. Once you started a jumping sequence, you have no choice but to finish it or fail. The sequences go from quite easy to hard as fiery abyss. You have to take into account a new variable: the resting period.

If you do 2 double jumps in a row, you can’t do them without taking a resting period. You’ll kill your 2nd double jump. You need to have the same approach as a combo jump: you need to watch the arm movements of your avatar. As soon as their arms are back to the rest state, you have to start the 2nd jump in the sequence, etc.

It’s harder than a combo jumps elevator because you’re not directed; on a combo jumps elevator, you can only go up or fall down. During a jumping sequence, you are free of movement, making it harder on the human side. Your avatar has to be controlled and it’s a hard task.

Single combo jump + run-jump

This sequence is the easiest of them all. I already plenty introduced it to you without naming it so you wouldn’t be afraid. I referred to it in my previous quests as: do a walk-jump followed quickly by a run-jump then do a 2nd run-jump or something similar. This was a jumping sequence: single combo jump + run-jump.

Standing double jump + run-jump

This sequence is done the same way as the precedent one but done quicker since the double jump allowed a sideways (left or right) shift which has to be prevent. You have to force your avatar to stay aligned all the time.

Quick run + held run-jump + safety run + quick break

This sequence has to be done in Gira to reach the big bone. You’ll be on a high spot the nearest I could get from the big bone. You will do a quick run (split of a second) then a held run-jump then still holding the keys, you will force your avatar to run up the big bone uneven plane and stop half way up the bone plane to avoid going over it. It’s quite an insane jumping sequence.

Double jump + standing double jump

You first need to do a double jump from a given spot on the ground level near a vertical surface. The result of this first double jump is that you will end up sliding slowly on the vertical surface you jumped on. Now the goal is to reach the top, you need to do a standing double jump. Seems simple, but takes practice.

Standing double jump + turn + bouncing double jump

This sequence is done inside a quest in Kemo, The Bahroglyphs. You’ll be next to an almost vertical wall and the top will be located at 3 times your height. There’s no way you can reach it easily with one single double jump. You cannot reach that height with 2 classic or standing double jumps either. Therefore, you will do a standing double jump to gain enough height to be able to do an effective bouncing double jump to reach the top. You’ll need to realign your avatar between the 2 double jumps.

Standing double jump + turn + double jump + double jump

This sequence has to be done inside Tsogal. You will first start a standing double jump to reach a certain height on an almost vertical wall. Before sliding too low on your way down, you will turn quickly and do a double jump to move forward on that wall to reach a small sliding plateau. Again, before sliding off, you will do another double jump to safely land on a collision wall.

Standing double jump + standing double jump + turn + standing double jump

This sequence has to be done inside Tsogal. You want to reach a spot at nearly twice your height but a bouncing double jump is out of the way. You can’t bounce on that wall. The only way possible to climb up is therefore a standing double jump. The issue is that a single standing double jump is not enough. You will need to do 2 standing double jump in a row then turn quickly before doing the third & final standing double jump.

Bouncing double jump + safety walk

This sequence has to be done in Gira to reach the big bone right from its base on the ground. It’s an insane bouncing double jump. You’ll jump 2 times and maybe more your height. You must bounce the right way to reach the lowest spot on the uneven plane over the big bone. As soon as you have a least a pixel of grip, you must do a safety walk until you feel you’re standing on top of the bone. It’s not easy to master but that’s the fastest way to reach the top of the big bone. I can do it in less than 3 minutes after few attempts.

The Deathly Slope Elevator (Climbing an 80 degrees elevator + safety super jump)

This kind of elevator is found only inside the garden & the neighborhood ages as far as I know. In the neighborhoods, I successfully avoided them for something easier and way more reliable. In gardens, I couldn’t avoid them. You will find 2 of them in Gira.

You must be aware at any time on those dangerous as fiery abyss elevators of 4 elements: going too fast up, you’ll fall off, going too slow up, you’ll get stick, going too much on the outer side of the wall, you’ll be ejected, going too much on the inner side of the wall, you will eventually slip off and go to your Relto. As you can see, there’s not much room left to act. You need instinct to be able to come alive from those deathly elevators.

To safely end the pain of an 80 degrees elevator, you must do a safety super jump. A safety super jump as to be done quickly to save your life and you must be quick on the aiming site too because you can’t revised the aim after the super jump is started.

I hope I won't afraid you :lol: . It's like anything else, you'll have to get use to the techniques & jumping sequences. The Garden Ages were kept to the end for that simple reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:44 am 

Wow! Finally a guid to all the jumping qliches in the game. I should point out that there glitches are not gerenteed to work on all the shards. Also if you want to use these glitches for photography or to see things you normally can't, I think flymode in the internal client is eseir to use and your allowed to use it in your private instances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Very impressive indeed ... This is almost worth a sub-area in the field of Hyperdimensional Physics
"Annabelle's Hyperdimensional Physics Study and Research in Virtual Environments" ... :P

Thank you, Annabelle, for your tireless and arduous efforts in very thoroughly and creatively
fleshing out and very gently communicating all the fun, which is the entirety of all your amazing
missions, a universe, a macrocosm in the D'ni Universe itself, and thank you for sharing all of your
discoveries, secrets and treasures with the whole community ... What a marvelous and superb legacy ... :D

Post subject: More info on the changes
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:04 am 

You might wonder what happened that is so terrible that I have to postpone my 7th release and that I'm flaming about this new built, the built 1.912.

Ok here it goes... There's a good news and 2 bad news

The bad news: kneeling and not cooperating - overshooting and landing 10 pixels away!!!!

We have landing & kneeling behaviours now that we didn't have in previous builts.

1) kneeling and not cooperating:

The kneeling when we do a stand jump changes the way we can act with a stand jump ... meaning here no more super jump, the only super jumps saved are the zip line launches because you are trapped in a collision wall, you cannot therefore kneel.

I built quests that revolves on some super jumps... they cannot be played now, forget it, until I go back there and see if there's something to do!!!!!!! (just thinking quickly, I have 5 quests, I surely have more than that)

2) overshooting and landing 10 pixels away!!!!

There's now a landing behaviour when we do a walk-jump or a run-jump. It changes the way we have to manage a walk-jump or a run-jump.

Now it looks like something of no importance...but it's a major thing. I cannot anymore guarantee success in any of my quests (0 out of 166 quests).

On each jump, you will have to reset the quest, back up and enter the marker you overshooted. You are gaining 5-10 pixels on each jump. After 3-4 jumps, you are dead, you go straight in the scenery.

The walk-jumps and the run-jumps are more difficult than ever.

The Good News: some of the hardstuffs have disappeared

I will have to do a great clean-up in 16 out of my 22 quests (7th release) to modify a lot of things here and there... It's a real pain because I'll have to go back and re-number every steps.

There's a small tiny grip that the avatar has now that it didn't have in previous builts. It's just enough to completely change the whole portrait of my 16 quests.

:roll: :roll: :roll: Oh BTW the initial post on this thread will have to be completely reviewed and I will have to rewrite a lot of sections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Annebelle wrote:
Now it looks like something of no importance...but it's a major thing. I cannot anymore guarantee success in any of my quests (0 out of 166 quests).

:cry: And I was just getting the hang of it... :roll:

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Just wait until open-source gets rid of PhysX. THAT will be interesting... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Annabelle, there are more changes to physics and related matters coming up (e.g. the frame rate unlocking) – before you spend a lot of effort reworking all your quests, you may want to examine the impact of those on Minkata (when they appear there).

I’m wondering, did those effects that you are noticing now not occur when you tested on Minkata, or did you just not notice them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:25 pm 

Hi Christian,

Thx to tell me there will be new changes again.

The issue is that on Minkata, the framerate seems to be lower than on MOULa. Even on my old computer, I have hard time to do combos and long range jumps.

I didn't test much.

-----

I know I might work for nothing here...but I'm almost ready and I want at least deliver my quests. If one day they become unplayable...well there will be a proof that there was a possibility to do stuffs.

It won't take too much time. For this week, I'm doing something else just to change my ideas but I'll eventually repair the 16 quests of my 7th release to publish it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:09 pm 

I agree with you Annabelle - this physics change has messed up a few jumps for me as well, including making some landing spots impossible now. I have nowhere near the amount of quests as you, but i sympathise with how frustrating this must be for you.

I thought the idea of open source was new content, not to mess up what we already have? If there is no chance of any consistency in the physics engine now everyone has a chance to tinker with them, then i have a huge incentive to drift away and find other things to do - OK, i understand not everyone comes into the game to do glitches, but there are many of us for whom this is a big source of our pleasure and continued wish to come in cavern - having completed the game more times than i can count, this is how i keep myself interested.

What with the servers becoming more and more laggy, and now this physics change - one of the main reasons i spend time here is becoming, to say the least, frustrating. What with CW's announcement of more to come, i am really not sure if i can see myself supporting MOULa much longer.

I am all for improvements to the game, i am all for new content - but is it really necessary to change what we already have, especially the core bits of the program, like how you move?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Isobel wrote:
I thought the idea of open source was new content, not to mess up what we already have?

There will probably be no new content for the following years to come. What open-source mostly strives to do is fix existing bugs.

The incorrect animations were a bug, and so they were fixed. By definition, bugs are meant to be fixed, not left lying around. I would personally rather trade the ability to do unorthodox jumps and techniques for the ability to have a normal looking jump, for example.

You talk about inconsistency, but this is consistency. Glitches are not consistent, fixes are. That is their purpose.

Uru was never meant to be a glitchhouse, and I think these changes are for the best. However, if it's glitches and exploits you are looking for, then open-source brings its own wealth of them, what with the Fun House and so on. Additionally, if you don't like the way things are now, remember that you can always revert the changes made by open-source yourself and play MO:ULa "like it used to be". Anyone can do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:26 pm 

You call that a fix? OK, my understanding of English can't be what it once was. And i said that i was aware that URU was not desinged to be glitched, BUT, it has become that for many people - and these are the majority of the long time donators. Things change in life - all i am asking is that the consequences of what was intended 5 or so years ago is considered in the context of the present before alienating many people who have found their own ways of keeping interest in the game.

There are so many regular explorers who do this sort of thing now, that surely this has to be taken into account - instead of just taking the attitude that it needs fxing because it was never right. These glitches are now to many people a feature of the environment.

I appreicate the work many folks do here, all i am asking is that the explorers are also appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 pm 

According to this post

AdamJohnso wrote:
There is a bug in the (unknown if it is in the data or code) that causes certain animations to stutter or slant like that. You can see a combination of stuttering and slanting by walking backwards as a female avatar. The male avatar does not exhibit those problems with those two animations (it has other problems though...)

in response to my question about the goofy landing, this is not exactly a fixed bug.
Unlees we should delete our female avatars to be happy.

Lyrositor wrote:
Additionally, if you don't like the way things are now, remember that you can always revert the changes made by open-source yourself and play MO:ULa "like it used to be". Anyone can do it.

HOW?

Last edited by adi on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well then here we diverge in our views. I'd rather play an minimally flawed game where things evolve instead of a program originally released in 2003 which doesn't change.

I understand your point of view, and I know that skydiving and marker quests are a fundamental aspect of the game for many people. But again, I remind you, you can undo these fixes. If you want to, I can give you a client that has that fix removed and keeps all others intact. After all, what's the point of open-source if we can't all be happy, in our own way? :D

EDIT: I believe this is the problematic commit. It's a simple enough task to just remove that code and re-compile a special client. https://foundry.openuru.org/hg/CWE-ou/rev/b2f2c81af440

EDIT 2: Sorry adi, didn't see your post there. :oops: As I said in my other reply in another thread, that bug is not related directly to this fix; this fix just exposed this one, which was lying dormant until now. That particular bug can't be fixed, unfortunately.

As for your question, it's a simple matter of grabbing the code, deleting the part you don't like (or reverting a particular commit), then re-compiling. I realize this is beyond the average user, but I have spare time, and if you want to I can build a client with that code removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:21 pm 

It's very kind and helpful of you to offer making such a client! I'm sure that would make many explorers very happy. ^^ But, would we be allowed to use it in public areas???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:28 pm 

OR, should we have to? Having 2 different clients seems like it could cause more problems than it solves. How's about an agreement not to change key things like physics once they are established? There are plenty of other things that could be fixed in the game without causing this sort of problem.