It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:39 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 71  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:21 pm 

I like the 'dog-house/descent' concept in general, but I've got to state one obvious question:

Why one long bookshelf? Why not multiple bookshelves? Then again, if the one shelf is long enough, maybe curving along with the contours of the walls, wrapping around the room, it could be a good idea.

I think it'd be best if the space - the shelf space - were big enough to have a lot of room for expansion in the coming years, as more quality fan ages gradually filter through the approval bottlenecks.

Anyway, this space could prove to be fairly heavily visited, not in length of visits but certainly in frequency of them. Think about how often we use the Nexus, and how often we pass through Relto. That's because of the massive number of links in those places!

For this reason... well, I've got a lot to do already, I know that, but I'd be prepared to consider creating part of this age.

I could work on the modelling and texturing, but I'd request that others handle the rest; audio and sound effects, creation/integration of links and linking books/stones, journals, and output to CWE.

As a reference for anyone who is concerned (about my ability to handle the 3d art), I'd ask that you take a look at the "D'ni Temple" age I did a while back. It demonstrates that I am pretty good with 3d art (modelling & texturing) ... and generally weaker at the other aspects of age creation.

I'll give this a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hey, a quick question that's not related to fan Ages or Fan Nexus or any of that…

Now that we have some amount of movement toward fan content on MOULa, where would I start a thread or how would I get some movement on potentially getting this on the server? http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 964#381964

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:03 am 

matthornb wrote:
Why one long bookshelf? Why not multiple bookshelves? Then again, if the one shelf is long enough, maybe curving along with the contours of the walls, wrapping around the room, it could be a good idea.

I think it'd be best if the space - the shelf space - were big enough to have a lot of room for expansion in the coming years, as more quality fan ages gradually filter through the approval bottlenecks.

Oh yeah.. it's a fluid idea. Go ahead & play with it; try things out & see whether multiple shelves or one shelf seems to work better! If you're actually going to model something in 3d, you'd be in a better position to see what seems comfortable, than ME...

My main intent was just to imagine it with a specifically DIFFERENT look from the D'ni created Nexus we know... give it a little romance, and explain in the canon why it's been a secret for so long. As it's a jumping off point to high adventure & "parts unknown" I also tried to see it as a bit 'raw'.

Tai'lahr wrote:
...it only works if the age creators are willing to be anonymous and pretend that the books were written by someone else. Because if they had been written by explorers, most of them would have been written after the DRC left the cavern.

As for the idea of giving credit to the authors of the Ages... "Storywise", the suggestion that the DRC sealed them off for not being written by the 'D'ni' is just the disclaimer: a catch-all to suggest they are fan-made rather than Cyan made; it would really be up to the Author's own creative license, to come up with an IC backstory for their own Age. Using bookshelves, and giving each Age a clickable book would theoretically allow for an actual 'title page' crediting the author on the left of the linking panel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:41 am 

Beginning with a rough pass of an as-yet unexplored section of the Great Shaft.

Much more work needed but considering I just threw this mesh and texture art together in the last four hours, it's not a terrible start.

This could become - when completed - a view the player might see, looking down from the entrance to the 'dog house' space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:05 am 
Obduction Backer

That is very awesome, good sir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:32 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Malfhok wrote:
... where would I start a thread or how would I get some movement on potentially getting this on the server? http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 964#381964

I take it you're talking about getting the PDF hosted on mystonline.com? I'm not too sure: I think Chogon did the most recent site updates, but it'd probably be up to Rand to decide whether or not it's something they'd want to do.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:59 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Cyan's reaction to the Doghouse idea is positive. :)

More later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
I take it you're talking about getting the PDF hosted on mystonline.com? I'm not too sure: I think Chogon did the most recent site updates, but it'd probably be up to Rand to decide whether or not it's something they'd want to do.

I'm talking about the pre-OS idea of adding the Heritage Documents book to the game somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Okay, I get the message. My ideas and contributions are unwelcome here. Have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Cyan's reaction to the Doghouse idea is positive. :)

More later.

Entering fan created ages through a doghouse? Well, it certainly lets everyone know the opinion some have of fan created content. Should we be grateful it wasn't an outhouse?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:38 pm 

AdamJohnso wrote:
Okay, I get the message. My ideas and contributions are unwelcome here. Have fun.

Oh No you Don't! *Grabs adam and drags him back in* Not after all I've gone through just to get some form of a working account on these forums so I could post this stamp design, since nobody else was working on it apparently. > :[

Now that's pretty much the roughest of rough designs I've come up with, but I think a stamp idea would work GREAT in some form or another! *lets adam go*

----

As for the Dog-House, I've got a bit of Concept art here that's not quite up to par as I'd have liked, but considering how things have been going for me lately, I'm posting it anyways.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The basic idea I was running with during sketching was that there would be three spiraling paths either up or down entrenched into the wall. Not sure if this is buildable, but it's what I've come up with on short notice. Since the design suggestion notes thus far were "Descent Like", I went with the cork screw path idea.

There would be book displays entrenched into the wall as you ascended/descended. Possibly notes and such from each age writer (if they'd wanted to put in notes) would sit next to the age book ala Minkata and Jalak's note books, otherwise, it could just be a credits note crediting the author of the age.

I apologize for the sloppy handwriting on the image, but I was in a rush when I worked on this part, not that it mattered since it's taken me this long to even get it online. :/

Anyways. Hi. Calumon/CalumTraveler/DimensionTraveler here. Heh. Back at last. It's been a long road just getting to this point!

_CT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:14 pm 

AdamJohnso wrote:

Not so fast Adam your contributions are always welcome (at-least I think so,) its the ideas people like you come up with that inspire the creativity needed to solve problems.

Heck if it wasn't for your ideas and contributions, TheLostStonehenge would have never had shadows from the winter solstice.
It still needs work but I had so may issues with the shadows on the Stonehenge every thing else should be a lot easer.

Thank you Adam
I always wanted to visit the Stonehenge during winter solstice

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

I just got done talking to Rand and RAWA about HarveyMidnight's idea of the "Dog House" (for lack of a better name) instead of using a "Nexus-style" age for introducing fan created ages on the MOULa shard. Both liked several aspects of this idea but realized that this could only be accomplished if it is designed, created and maintained by the fans.
What is good about it:
1) A storyline reason why these ages suddenly appeared (doesn't require a new age to appear out of nowhere to get to new ages that appeared out of nowhere)
2) A storyline and area that does not interfere with already established stuff on the MOULa shard (you can go crazy on your own shards)
3) The new area is complete designed, created and maintained by the fans
4) New ages can be added (nearly) completely by fans
However, how you get to the "dog house" needs help - which should be easily accessed by even novice users.

I'm not saying that the only options are "nexus fan" or HM's "dog house". There may be an even better idea lurking out there (even though HM's "dog house" idea is pretty good). So, please start designing! New ideas or a better fleshed out HM's "dog house" or even a nexus. And I'm not sure there has to be only one…? ok, that's crazy talk. But these designs need to hit points 2), 3) and 4) above.

Tech side note: I am not opposed to getting already exported files, i.e. *.prp files, to add into the MOULa build. I'm not sure of the method for delivery though.

Thanks,
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:46 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Chogon wrote:
However, how you get to the "dog house" needs help - which should be easily accessed by even novice users.

Hmm... If you take the whole of HarveyMidnight's suggestion on board, then that included a Bahro stone to get there and the question becomes where to place it, keeping in mind linking rules. So if you assume that the "dog house" is indeed somewhere in Descent, then that's excludes the city/hoods. But a fairly logical place might be to have the stone in the existing Nexus - it's already a place people pass through regularly and doesn't require anyone to have completed any ages to get there.

As an additional thought on what the bahro stone implies for implementation, using a Bahro stone traditionally adds a page to the book for the destination age, so in this case it should add to the city book just as the current Descent stone does.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

:shock: Wow! The momentum is really building here. For the first time in a loooong while I feel excitment growing within the community instead of slowly draining away. This is great! And coming so soon after all the Cavcon 2 hand-wringing... it's enough to make one a tad dizzy. Perhaps others will feel hopeful enough about Uru's future to consider making a donation. I did. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 71  Next