It is currently Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:35 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm testing Uru Live on the Windows/XP side of a Mac-Intel (with Boot Camp) since the end of September and it works very well !
I have no more problems than before on my PC based machine...

So, I don't think the GD annoucement is about a test under Windows/XP BUT about a MacOS version !
Not sure, but I hope ... :wink:

... If we remember, this eventuallity was discussed in some Town Hall Meetings, mainly due to the new Physics Engine version...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

J'on wrote:
chucker wrote:
Could this be related to TransGaming Cider?

The only way I could see a company officially supporting Cider would be if that company had a support agreement with TransGaming to get them to fix any problems that are encountered.

Yes. We are working very closely with TransGaming and they are creating a Cider like layer that is specifically written just for UruLive. And we will continue to work with TransGaming and they will provided changes/fixes when needed when we push new versions.

It is pretty cool!

Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Chogon wrote:
chucker wrote:
Could this be related to TransGaming Cider?

Yes. We are working very closely with TransGaming and they are creating a Cider like layer that is specifically written just for UruLive. And we will continue to work with TransGaming and they will provided changes/fixes when needed when we push new versions.

It is pretty cool!

Chogon

That is very very cool Chogon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Chogon wrote:

It is pretty cool!Chogon

**sigh**

I take it that this precludes a Linux version?

The hope was that if Cyan made a Mac client, a Linux client would not be far behind - they are both Unixes - If Cyan had to write a Mac OS X client, it would take (comparatively) little work to make a Linux client.

Since Cyan is using Cider, they are not modifying or writing new source code for Unix. This is because Cider is basically a wrapper for video games that translates Windows API calls into Mac OS X API calls -- in theory, Cyan does not have to change the client for this.

Unless Cider can also allow games to work on Linux, there may be no Linux client.

I only have Windows on my Ubuntu machine for Uru Live -- A Linux client would free me from this horrible OS completely.

RAWA, is this because of Tux?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:56 pm 

How many people use Linux exclusivly? AND want to play Uru Live?

Like, less than 5% of the market.

Let's get Mac out of the way first, and THEN focus on Linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:24 pm 

Animan wrote:
How many people use Linux exclusivly? AND want to play Uru Live?

Like, less than 5% of the market.

Let's get Mac out of the way first, and THEN focus on Linux.

Uru Live Beta is the only reason I'm booting windows every day. Even with tools like NX nomachine, Cygwin, TotalCommander (nc clone) Windows sucks :)

I'm having high hopes that Uru Live is going to support Linux soon. If Uru Live works under TG's Cider it is going to work under TG's Cadega as well. Both systems are a reimplementation of DirectX and Win32 API for Aqua and X Window respectively.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Tiran wrote:
I'm having high hopes that Uru Live is going to support Linux soon. If Uru Live works under TG's Cider it is going to work under TG's Cadega as well. Both systems are a reimplementation of DirectX and Win32 API for Aqua and X Window respectively.

I suspect that Cyan won't support Linux as soon (if ever). But, I also suspect that there is a lot of common code between Cider and Cedega. Given Cyan's support of Cider, even if it is a custom version, I believe that the code that is necessary to make Uru Live work will eventually make it into standard Cider releases, and potentially into Cedega also, as long as the fixes are in shared components.

So even if Cyan doesn't support it, there is a reasonable chance that you will be able to run Uru Live on Linux sometime in the future via Cedega.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:33 pm 

Shield your eyes, the happy rays from this dance may blind you.
*DOES AN EXTREMELY HAPPY DANCE*

ok, we're good.
I've been beta'ing on Boot Camp from my Macbook Pro since the second round of beta invites a few months back and its ran without any problems since then. I'd just be really glad to not have to switch out of mac os to play...i'd probably get on a lot more.

Any chance of a Universal release of the other Myst games? Please? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

J'on wrote:
I suspect that Cyan won't support Linux as soon (if ever).

Greydragon showed up in Ae'gura last evening and had all sorts of interesting news. Hopefully someone with the presence of mind to capture a chatlog (i.e., not me) might post it. Of relevance to this discussion, he said (going from memory), "The Mac port was not the beast we imagined..." followed by some comments that I don't recall precisely but left me with the impression they're looking closely at other (presumably Intel-based) platforms besides Mac and XP. Without implying such a thing might exist, he asked if anyone there could beta-test a hypothetical Linux port. At least one explorer (I forget who) acknowledged, very enthusiastically!

All this sounds very encouraging for those who are limited for one reason or another to a non-XP platform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:00 pm 

pigbristles wrote:
Greydragon showed up in Ae'gura last evening and had all sorts of interesting news. Hopefully someone with the presence of mind to capture a chatlog (i.e., not me) might post it. Of relevance to this discussion, he said (going from memory), "The Mac port was not the beast we imagined..." followed by some comments that I don't recall precisely but left me with the impression they're looking closely at other (presumably Intel-based) platforms besides Mac and XP. Without implying such a thing might exist, he asked if anyone there could beta-test a hypothetical Linux port. At least one explorer (I forget who) acknowledged, very enthusiastically!

Wow! Great news!

My hope for a working Linux client for Uru Live is raising. I have mailed Greydragon ASAP to tell him that I'm willing to beta test the Linux client.

Can somebody *please* get a chatlog of the meeting? Do you have the Uru log files from yesterday in your log folder? The chat can be extracted from the encrypted ELF files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

pigbristles wrote:
Without implying such a thing might exist, he asked if anyone there could beta-test a hypothetical Linux port. At least one explorer (I forget who) acknowledged, very enthusiastically!

Well, I could see that TransGaming, given their roots, might have offered a package deal to Cyan (i.e. support of custom versions for both Mac OS and Linux). It probably is not that much additional work for them, given that most of the work should be in their common code.

All my machines are set up to dual boot Linux and Windows XP, except for my server, which only runs Linux. I could do some Linux beta testing if such a version became available, although ultimately I will play the Windows version.

I'm still wondering about the support issues. If Cyan officially supports this then whoever will be doing Uru Live support for Mac OS (and/or Linux) will have to be versed in that OS to help novice users with simple install and run issues. That has to involve additional support expense. I can easily believe that the additional Mac OS customers will make that worthwhile. I'm not so sure about the number of additional Linux users making that worthwhile, but then again, there won't be as many novices running Linux in the first place!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:41 pm 

J'on wrote:
I'm still wondering about the support issues. If Cyan officially supports this then whoever will be doing Uru Live support for Mac OS (and/or Linux) will have to be versed in that OS to help novice users with simple install and run issues. That has to involve additional support expense. I can easily believe that the additional Mac OS customers will make that worthwhile. I'm not so sure about the number of additional Linux users making that worthwhile, but then again, there won't be as many novices running Linux in the first place!

Well I know much more people running Linux as first or second OS on their computer than people owning an Intel based Mac. Also the number of computer/linux novices is raising.

Regarding your installation concerns:
http://www.transgaming.com/index.php?mo ... ay&ceid=29
Quote:
Cedega’s remarkably intuitive GUI enables Linux gamers to do things that are impossible on Windows. With one action, you can set configurations across every game you have installed. Updating, deleting, moving, and even troubleshooting of every game is accessed from a single, easy-to-use interface.

Cedega seems to have a nice UI build for noobs.

Personally I'm even happy with a second class citizenship for the first few month. I need no support for installation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tiran wrote:
Do you have the Uru log files from yesterday in your log folder? The chat can be extracted from the encrypted ELF files.

I have the log files but no way to decrypt them. UruTweak (and urucrypt) don't work. I could post 'em on the FTP site, I suppose, if anyone wants to have a crack at it.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:15 pm 

pigbristles wrote:
I have the log files but no way to decrypt them. UruTweak (and urucrypt) don't work. I could post 'em on the FTP site, I suppose, if anyone wants to have a crack at it.

You need Marak's ELF Viewer to decrypt the ELF files. ELF has a different encryption algo. Or upload the Python.*.elf file on the FTP server. I can grab it and run some filters over it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here: ftp://wheely:[email protected]/Pigbristles/elf-1104.zip

This is everything from yesterday. I imagine the chat would be somewhere in the logs time-tagged 7:20 - 7:30 PM PST.

Have at it! :D

[EDIT]
I've extracted the raw chat - you can't tell who's who but you get the idea. Here's what GD said re: the Mac port (GD is highlighted):

(Thanks for the hint on the ELF decoder, Tiran! 8) )

Cheers,
PB

(11/04 18:38:20) Teknobubba could stand a Linux version.
(11/04 18:38:22) I'd rather be ready....:)
(11/04 18:38:35) tekno would you test that?
(11/04 18:38:37) I did and /cheer
(11/04 18:38:46) Sure! Are you kidding? Of course.
(11/04 18:38:48) yes i wont get vista even if you paid me lol
(11/04 18:38:50) lol
(11/04 18:39:23) GD, any hint at where new stuff will go?
(11/04 18:39:28) went with xp pro 64 instead
(11/04 18:39:41) Some over here, some over there.
(11/04 18:39:48) up, down...
(11/04 18:39:51) Hi Bryan
(11/04 18:39:54) allariund
(11/04 18:39:57) left, right
(11/04 18:40:04) i don't know what versions we will have.. but that was our first hint.. that the mac.. isn't the beast we once dreamed about.. its something we are actively looking at
(11/04 18:40:31) remember all of this is under nda..
(11/04 18:40:36) a mac port would bring alot of people in to the city
(11/04 18:40:40) shhhh.
(11/04 18:40:41) Teknobubba nods his head
(11/04 18:40:50) I agree edders
(11/04 18:40:56) but right now.. we have people who go thru gametap
(11/04 18:41:02) and internation folks

The whole log is here: ftp://wheely:[email protected]/Pigbristles/rawchat.log

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next