It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hey, everyone ... finally someone left a hint in the comments section on the developer's page ... :P

He or she mentioned the 'Gameboomers Forums' with hints to 'The Five Cores' being presented and
discussed ... You'll find several forums posts there already in 'Adventure discussions', 'Glitches' and
'Adventure Game Hints & Help' ... Just have a look around there everywhere a bit ... :)

The most recent and substantial 'Hints & Help' thread is this one, where you will find many valuable
hints and tips already, and the best is one doesn't feel so alone and helpless anymore lol ... There is
even someone, Mordack, who already finished the whole game and is offering help and tips to everyone ...

I didn't google for more treasure chests like that yet, but now we know the game is quite popular and
highly valued and others as we are trying to unveil the secrets of this world which is great ...
So, let's keep going and have some fun ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

They removed their Facebook page. At least I can't find it anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

They also removed their Steam Greenlight entry and closed the comments section
on their own website ... maybe they've got sufficient promotion and response lol ... :P

The first walkthroughs are ready resp. in the making ... This is an almost complete
english one, and on gamepad.de you'll find a completed german walkthrough ... :)

Don't forget to look into the Gameboomer's forums mentioned in my post above ...
They are very gentle, very friendly and helpful ...

Today I discovered a german adventure games forum where a few gameplay/keyboard
functions of the Unreal Engine, which is being installed along with the Net Framework and
the game, are nicely explained, and which is what I was looking for ...

The main movement keys everybody should know by now:
- Cursors up, down, right and left plus additional w,a,s,d, where 'a' and 'd' are strafe right and strafe left
- you jump as always with 'Space' and you can jump with 'Ctrl' as well
- the 'Shift' key accelerates your speed
- 'Esc' offers the menue for 'Save', 'Load', 'Resume' and 'Quit'

now here it comes

- with the F1 key you're getting the 'WireFrame Rendering', means you're landing in
the Matrix lol, and you get out of that state with pushing three times F8 where you're
moving through different states of renderings (works also with F7 btw)
- F11 toggles between 'Fullscreen' and 'windowed mode'
- press Alt+Tab to get to your desktop as usual
- with F9 you can take high-res-screenshots and find them as bmp
under --> C or else:\UDK\The Five Cores\UDKGame\Screenshots\Win32

With 'Tab' you can activate many 'Exec functions in UnrealScript' appearing at the
bottom of the screen ... Find a complete list of them here, though they're not fully
available, but some funny and interesting functions like 'Fly', 'Walk', 'FOV', 'Exit', 'Ghost' etc...
might be interesting ...

When using 'Fly' you can get back to the ground using the 'Walk' command,
this is esp. necessary when you'd like to activate something (hand cursor) which
doesn't work when in fly mode ...
When using 'Ghost', where you can move through walls and everything lol, you can
go back to normal mode with the same 'Walk' command ...

Yeah, I believe that is it so far ... There's a lot to explore, to try out and to have fun with ... Enjoy ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

The developer has released a demo of the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:02 pm 

Oh cool! I will give that a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:31 pm 

Demo was amazing as others have said I had to turn off some of the advanced graphics settings.I think I am going to get the whole thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:24 pm 

I've just played the whole thing through, enjoyed it, and would thoroughly recommend it, particularly at the price.

A Non-spoilery summary:

It's written using the Unreal Development Kit (UDK) and installs by default into C:\UDK\The Five Cores, taking up 624Mb after installation. It puts an item into your start menu at the top level to run it.

It installed with no problems on my old-ish Windows 7 64 pro laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4570). However it can't cope with running with the display in full 1920x1080 resolution. It's fine in 1280x720 with all of the other graphics options turned up full. It still looks very nice at that resolution, obviously it has the slight chunkiness of realtime 3D, but it's quite Riven or Exile looking.

You can move around freely but it won't let you fall off the edge of the world and there are some places where you can get stuck, sometimes run-jump type moves will get you out of a hole, but once I had to exit and go back to a saved game. The controls, as mentioned in the posts above, are arrow keys or WSAD for movement, left shift for run (generally into something at speed) and space bar for jump. The mouse is for looking around and the left mouse button operates things. The pointer hand symbol only appears when there's something that can be played with.

You can save at any point, but there are only 3 save slots.

Like Myst, you operate from a main island and visit other places from there. Generally there's a puzzle to be solved to get there, and another to get back, when you collect one of the 5 cores. There are clues for all of the puzzles (with one possible exception involving combinations of 3 buttons) which vary from the blatant, to the slightly obscure ([spoiler]6:15[/spoiler]), it's not particularly difficult, but will keep you entertained for some time. Where a puzzle involves you moving between two places several times a convenient teleporting glowy thing lets you hop between them without trekking the long way around. There are a couple of vehicles on rails, elevators, switches to press, electricity, keyboards, colours, flames, things to rotate, dangly things to pull. What more could you want?

And it looks lovely.

If anyone needs a hint let me know.

Edit: Changed mouse button from right (wrong) to left (right).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

It does have a nice look and is very Riven like in appearance - no problems installing on Win8 beta and it is fun to go through and solutions are there, but not obviously in front of one. Everything Guy mentions above, I pretty much second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:26 pm 

I just downloaded the Demo. haven't played it yet, but it sounds great. If so, it may be well worth $10...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:31 pm 

Hello you all !

just to say that the Original Score (played and writed by me) of the game is now available on my Bandcamp page :wink: so ...if you have love the music ...

http://aylahn.bandcamp.com/album/the-five-cores-original-score

Thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:42 pm 

Dl'd the demo and ran smack into a Shader Model 3 error. :cry:

Can not resolve (apparently) with any method short of a new graphics card, which is impossible on my laptop.... :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:48 pm 
I got that too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 pm 

Yes that is correct, there is no way to "emulate" a pixal shadear, you need a newer graphics card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Speaking of graphical puzzle games, but at the other end of the artwork spectrum, I recommend Kairo: http://kairo.lockeddoorpuzzle.com/

Available for Mac/Win. It's an extremely minimalist design, but it achieves a good sense of space. The puzzles are not *very* difficult, but they're well put together.

And speaking of really *old*-school games, Cliff Johnson has just released the sequel to _The Fool's Errand_...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:47 am 
Obduction Backer

belford wrote:
Speaking of graphical puzzle games, but at the other end of the artwork spectrum, I recommend Kairo: http://kairo.lockeddoorpuzzle.com/
Interesting, just tried a 'lil bit the Mac demo.
Worlds are dark (well calibrated screens mandatory) and graphically poor (cubes, spheres, pyramids…) but this is quite fastly forgotten and I enjoyed lurking here and there to solve the Riddles.
Speaking about Gameplay, the mouse sensitivity is way too hard to handle IMHO.

[url=http://myst-aventure.com][img]http://myst-aventure.com/-grover/image/sig-moul.gif[/img][/url] [url=http://ufo-3d.fr][img]http://ufo-3d.fr/ufo-3d-350x75.png[/img][/url] [url=https://polystudio.shop]PolyStudio[/url] MAhmtee Bevin KI #123057

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next