It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:04 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Cosmic Osmo: Hex Isle
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:43 pm 
Cyan Employee

In 2007 Cyan Worlds produced this game for the now defunct Fanista. Is there any interest on the forums for purchasing this game? Anyone already own it?

Ryan Warzecha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

I bought it when it first appeared. Cute; not particularly addictive.

I seem to recall the difficulty curve was rather steep. I did the early levels, then got up to a point where it was harder. Since the game wasn't offering me much variety of gameplay, I finished all the levels I could finish and then put it away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:05 am 
Obduction Backer

In the past Hex Isle was not available outside the US.
I got the game as a present from a friend. I like it very much.
I think there is interest in this game if it can be sent to other countries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:35 am 
Obduction Backer

It was pretty lame. Lots of pointless platforming with no tangible reward or gripping story. In other words, this game lacked the things that make games like Prince of Persia and the various Tomb Raiders great.

Post subject: Hey greydragon!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:26 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah greydragon/Ryan,

Welcome back to the fold! :D BTW, your LinkedIn and Twitter profiles say you are a former Cyan employee--are you blue on the sly?? :wink:

I've always wanted to try the game myself but am on a Mac. I know there once was a Mac version but am not sure if it would work on OSX Lion/Mountain Lion... so you can count me in IF...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:33 am 
Obduction Backer

I bought it back then, and I played it some, but never finished it. Has it been that long ago?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:33 am 
Obduction Backer

I wanted to pic this up back when it was first released but couldn't. I would be interested in purchasing it if it was made available again, assuming it was reasonably priced, even if just to support Cyan, though i'm sure my kids would enjoy it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I own it and enjoyed it although I am not very good at those types of games :lol: it was fun trying . . .still installed in my computer, maybe someday I will actually finish it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:53 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

There is a tiny sample of your market here on these forums, and probably not indicative. You might have to just offer it for sale and find out. Or port it to iPad, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

i (SMALL I ON PURPOSE) wonder why Cyan chooses NOT to promote (ADVERTISE) their products except in a very obscure market place? Like a forum...just wondering...

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:46 am 
Obduction Backer

I searched long and hard a couple years ago to find a copy on eBay and finally nabbed one. Played it all the way through and greatly enjoyed it. But then again, Cosmic Osmo was my very first computer game and I grew up playing it, so all the throwbacks in Hex Isle were hilarious to me.

If I put in the disc on my computer and found that it didn't run on Mountain Lion, I might consider purchasing it again, depending on the price.

Though I would be much more happy to buy the original Cosmic Osmo and the Worlds Beyond the Mackerel for iPad/Mac. See signature. And the open source LiveCode Kickstarter (modern HyperCard; imports old stacks) that just ended successfully. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

I just tried Cosmic Osmo: Hex Isle on my Mac that is running OSX Lion (10.7.5) and once installed it ran great (be sure to change the game to high resolutions!).
I did have problems during the install, the installer didn't ask for the CD key and then the app complained that it didn't have a valid CD key <sheesh!>. I deleted the "/Users/<YourUsername>/Library/Preferences/Cosmic Osmo's Hex Isle Preferences" directory and then re-ran the app and it came right up <shugs>

CO:HI is a very different game than anything CyanWorld's had created at the time it was released and is not for everyone. It does require more keyboard/mouse dexterity. There is subtle Cosmic Osmo humor and story (it still cracks me up when Osmo goes "Whoa!" on an occasional jump). There are some interesting backdrops and great music by Tim Larkin. To solve levels you have to look around and logically plan your moves but the later levels do require some (IMHO) Olympic jumps and timing.

--Chogon

Post subject: Thanks Chogon!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Chogon,

Thanks for the Mac Lion info! :D I can now hunt down a copy for myself without fear! :wink:

Would this be among the goodies hidden away in the Cyan secret vault of treasures (not so very unlike the Kadish vault of treasures...)?? Since it appears that there are still copies to be found online (and that they are both PC and Mac compatible), I'm sure I can scrounge up something... But I prefer to let Cyan benefit directly when possible.

(I suppose this thread is an indication that an iPhone/iPad app port is being considered)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

I bought this one, and I did enjoy it. It's a simple but clever action-puzzle game with great visuals.

The action elements work much better here than in Uru, as the controls are actually responsive and appropriately precise in HexIsle.

BTW, I recently tried running it on Windows 7 and aside from a crash which occurs when it tries to read/write the pref files (which I restored from a previous install to get around), it works perfectly fine. If this little bit of XP-ism can be fixed, I think this would make a great game to put up on Steam and other similar digital stores for both Windows and OSX.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:07 am 
Cyan Employee

Charura wrote:
i (SMALL I ON PURPOSE) wonder why Cyan chooses NOT to promote (ADVERTISE) their products except in a very obscure market place? Like a forum...just wondering...

Well this was just me (Ex-employee) trying to see how many forum users already own the game. I loved that it had a level editor built in, or wait did the public get that? Hmm...

Ryan

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next