It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:27 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: HOLY SMOKE! IT EXISTS?!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:01 pm 

I found and bought this laptop on eBay around December. It fetched a pretty penny (about $70), but strangely, no one took an interest in it. o_o

There seems to be a technical glitch with the internal LCD monitor, cause it glitches every time the loading screen comes up.

I found two games on it, but only one really worked. (Maybe he had more family than we thought? One of his children's games?)

I didn't go digging around in there, because, well, I didn't want to find anything that would deem their previous efforts in the cavern in vain or throw it into chaos.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v7g630mzvta3hom/IZ1HTz7p5Q

The Time-Traveling Stranger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

THIS IS a good one ... esp. TODAY ... haha ... Thanks for the efforts and the fun, T-Squared ... :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Holy heek!! :shock:

I don't suppose you can determine the exact dates of its use? Windows 95 and the 1997 date on the System Information screen implies it's pretty old. I would have expected to see a Windows 98 upgrade installed if it remained in service past that date...

If there are any forensics experts out there, perhaps we could clone the drive and then do an analysis. Many of us researchers would **love** to glean more tidbits about the DRC history and unreleased restoration projects. The 1997 date makes it unlikely this equipment played a part in Watson's Tablet quest (later adapted into the Myst 5 game), which is a bit of a shame. I've been researching that bit of history lately and have *many*questions I'd love to get answered...

[[And happy April Fools day!!]] :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:57 pm 

I think the last time this was used was in 2003, when the DRC liquidated most of its assets to pay for their expedition fund losses.

All I'll say was the last email I found on the hard drive was a message from Dr. Kodama to Dr. Watson asking where he was. I'm way too tried from last night to remember what the exact date was. I think it was December 31st, 2003.

(Yes, there's even an email from Dr. Watson to the ResEng Teams about the 2003 accident with Phil Henderson.)

I think how they communicated between computers in the cavern was a primitive form of WiFi. (maybe a radio signal?)

The only reason I would guess he kept this computer for so long was that it was more rugged than a lot of the computers the other ResEngs had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:38 pm 

Now That is a big find!!! now just a quick glance looks authentic for registered user. :) If that was boot up I believe back then you could change the boot up logos because the dos was easy to work with.
I bet RAWA could put a light on this :)) OOOHH RAWA where is you?

KI 00142411

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:50 pm 

The laptop had a password, but it was easy to figure out: "rawa01".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:55 pm 

Somehow I don't believe you :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

T-Squared wrote:
The laptop had a password, but it was easy to figure out: "rawa01".

Bloody typical.

Well, this has to be authentic. Only in real life do people choose useless passwords like that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well....It is April Fools Day and all :shock:

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:48 pm 

If this is real then why was RAWA using 95 in 2003 and why was this posted in the off-topic thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:05 pm 

Jamie Marchant wrote:
If this is real then why was RAWA using 95 in 2003 and why was this posted in the off-topic thread.

Lots of people were still using Windows 95 in 2000. In fact, we didn't upgrade from Win98SE to Windows 2000 until 2003. Then I gave up in 2006 and upgraded to Windows XP.

I couldn't find any other forum to post this to. :<

Windows 95 is the only operating system this computer can handle efficiently, and within an affordable portion of the hard drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:56 pm 

I was thinking this should be in Spoiler-Free, good point about still running 95 in 2003, thinking about it that's actually not to unreasonable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:54 am 

I'm glad there were those who followed in on the April Fools joke. :D

This was as close to my original idea as I was going to get, considering I was going to do something on my (now-defunct) website to bring new people into Uru. Kind of a real-life-to-video-game bridge. But I don't think Cyan was going to authorize it, considering the now-unknown backstories of the characters in the game. (Everyone knows fans changing the stories of canon in-game characters in OpenUru is not allowed.)

If you ever played Portal, there was a media campaign where you could "dial" into GlaDOS with a dial-up modem if you found the right phone number, but it was just an old computer and modem setup made by Valve Games meant to seem like GlaDOS' system. It was the aformentioned real-life-to-video-game bridge, meant to bring a piece of the fictional game into the real world, just to play with your mind and interest people in the game, like "Does Aperture Laboratories actually exist in real life?", like I did with this laptop. :D

In 2009, I tried to do the same thing with another, less-rugged laptop, but it broke apart and was useless. At that time, though, I had made some realistic-looking email communiques ostensibly sent by Dr. Watson to various people on the DRC ResEng teams, and "replies" from those people. (with picture attachments, even!)

I still have those on that less-rugged laptop's hard drive, and I could probably make more to heighten the illusion. I had also planned to take the Supersport laptop with me to Mysterium 2013 (if it was in Austin, TX.) as a prop, but since Mysterium is in Rochester, New York, this year, that's not going to happen. :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:08 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah T-Squared,

Your notion of blurring the boundaries between Uru and RL is actually very Rand-like (or perhaps Cyan-like). They went to great effort to do just this with their Preafter campaign and in having the real Zandi attend the Carlsbad Mysterium back in 2001. So your effort here is very much appreciated! It resonates with my own research project to find the Cleft caldera here in New Mexico. Great fun!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:23 pm 

You could move this to creative and make it a fan-fiction(none-canon)

EDIT: You could ask a modapdartor to move it to creative.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]