It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:48 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 852 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 57  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:37 am 

Heyhey, someone's done a D'ni civilization mod for Civilization V. :shock:
Remind me to pull up some screenshots later. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Happy First Contact Day! everyone ... Yeah, can't wait ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:08 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Adam Johnson has won the Pulitzer Prize in fiction for 2013! Congrat's!

To be honest, I think he looks a little old for a college student. Working in the community really ages a person. :wink:

http://www.latimes.com/features/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-adam-johnson-wins-the-pulitzer-prize-in-fiction-for-2013-20130415,0,7088248.story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:49 am 

Bravo Adam.
Did not know you were a writer of novels.
So proud. Keep up the great work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:06 pm 

Anyone check to see if this is THE Adam Jonson!

UPDATE: I have proof that is not THE AdamJohnson! http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... &highlight, 3rd post down, our Adam was 14/15 when he played URU CC and this Adam Jonson is in his 40's accroding to Wikipedia, so unless Adam steps into a time machine years down the rode(which would be cool) it can't be him.

UPDATE: Doh! Just understood what the wink was for! It's so hard to understand emostionts on the web :(. And I thought to myself that someone was going to do a facepawm. :lol:

/facepawm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 pm 

No, No. You've got it right. It is 'our' Adam Johnson.

He really did use a time machine. It's the one I'm working on now.

Image r'Ricard KI#1479684
" MUSTARD??!!! Don't let's be silly!! "
Learn URU Modding at www.IndyURU.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:46 pm 

So this post about Adam was a joke?
April 1st was a few weeks ago.
Thanks for the "un-funny" post.

Duped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
The fact that it was posted to this thread should have been a clue. Had it really been about our Adam, I'm sure JW would have thought the news worthy of its own thread. Thanks for the laugh, JW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:44 pm 
Ricard wrote:
No, No. You've got it right. It is 'our' Adam Johnson.

He really did use a time machine. It's the one I'm working on now.

But I haven't drawn the plans up yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:52 pm 

So, when you make your time machine you will send the planes back in-time too Ricard who can latter send them back in time too 1993, so that they can be used by Dr.Fred Edison!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:19 pm 

I've decided to remove my post that I wrote here. Although I wrote a funny story, I don't want to risk making fun at anyone's expense. If, and after, everyone mentioned in my little story of time travel OKs it, I'll re-post it. Until then, I'll hold it.

Image r'Ricard KI#1479684
" MUSTARD??!!! Don't let's be silly!! "
Learn URU Modding at www.IndyURU.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Ricard wrote:
I've decided to remove my post that I wrote here. Although I wrote a funny story, I don't want to risk making fun at anyone's expense. If, and after, everyone mentioned in my little story of time travel OKs it, I'll re-post it. Until then, I'll hold it.

I'll rev up the TARDIS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

In order to avoid derailing a thread elsewhere, I am replying to DLordOfTime's post (from a week ago) here.

DLordOfTime wrote:
Disagree with Rawa and you face everyone else disagreeing with you.
Apparently you view such a circumstance as more of a concern than I do.

Quote:
Covered by the rule of thumb. You can't move it when you take a step, but something larger can.
Right - all you need to do is to get that two-ton musk-ox to put her hoof on your linking book's panel...and then try to use that same panel to catch up with a two-ton musk-ox that's just experienced linking for the first time.... Image

Quote:
Firstly, that wasn't aimed at you

Your message to which I replied read thusly:
Quote:
No, Rawa's continuity guy. If he says that something in the Myst-verse is one way, not another, then that's how it is. He probably does the same things as us, but he's allowed to say, yes, we'll go with this over that. We are not. This is not to say we cannot theorise, but we can't claim to know the truth about the Myst-verse.

Rawa gave a rule of thumb for what links with you: take a step. If it comes with you, it links with you. There may be special cases besides the book you're using, but he hasn't told us yet.

Unfortunately, you are thinking of time as discrete chunks. It's not like that. As you zoom in further and further on time, there'll always be another interval. Two independent events happening simultaneously is about as likely as descriptive books liking to the same Age, and the chances of that have already been stated to be infinitesimal.
The first two paragraphs clearly are aimed at me. Please tell me how I would know the third paragraph was not aimed at me, or how the intended recipient would know it was aimed at them.

Quote:
, and secondly, there's a difference between 'infinitely small' and discrete. The first is commonly called 'continuous'.
First, 'infinitely small' is NOT "commonly called 'continuous'. " Cite even a few examples where competent writers have claimed this and I might change my mind.

Second, an 'infinitely small' portion of anything - including time - is STILL 'of some size': it is not 'nothing', and is therefore discrete, and is therefore not continuous.

Not all infinities are equal. You may want to familiarize yourself with the various types of infinity.
This article could be a good place to start.

Lastly, you still have not reconciled these two opposing claims you made in the same thread:
In one, you 'explain' time as being composed of 'chunks'
Quote:
It comes down to time being made up of infintely small 'chunks' of time, rather like light's made of infinitely small 'particles'. No matter how hard you try, there'll always be a number of these 'chunks' between the two events.
While in another, you criticize others for thinking of time as 'chunks':
Quote:
Unfortunately, you are thinking of time as discrete chunks. It's not like that. As you zoom in further and further on time, there'll always be another interval.

It sounds as though you have not quite decided whether you believe that time is smoothly continuous or discrete (for discrete-time models, see Chronon and Planck time).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:30 pm 
By infinitely small, I was talking about the size of the points that make up a line. If they are infinitely small, they are true points, and thus the line is continuous. If the points are discrete, they are not of zero size, so there is space between the centres of each. Sorry about not being clear first time round. Thus, my criticism is for assigning time to the second form, when it should be the first.

My personal opinion is that time is continuous, but not necessarily smooth. I do not care to explain quantum foam, because it is one of those things that gets weirder the more you try to understand it, and there are almost certainly ways to explain it almost anything you want it to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:43 am 
Obduction Backer

DLordofTime wrote:
By infinitely small, I was talking about the size of the points that make up a line. If they are infinitely small, they are true points, and thus the line is continuous.

No.
Points have no size of ANY kind, not even of an "infinitely small" kind.
You can DRAW a line BETWEEN arbitrary point A and arbitrary point B, which can be any arbitrary distance apart.
Then you can PUT an infinite number of points ON that line.
When you are "done" (!), you can then put an infinite number of points on the line, BETWEEN that first set of points.
And so on and so on, over and over again, infinitely.
No matter how infinitely far you take this, all you will ever have are points on a line; those points will never "make up a line".

Now, extrapolate this same principle to how you are viewing Time.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 852 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 57  Next