It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:02 pm 

DLordofTime wrote:
It'd be interesting to ask the creators of the various games we are hearing about whether or not they played Myst at whatever point in their lives.

Hard to think they haven't. I got to thinking about this and have decided the reason these guys are not in the running for User Added Content in URU, is the backstory of the MYST worlds. It may be they wanted to add some User Content, but didn't want to figure out the methods need to become compliant to the Myths of Myst. Clearly they have the graphic talents, but the storyline talents are unique in the Myst worlds.

They may also think the Unreal Engine is better, and not compatible to the existing Uru Engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:53 pm 
Looking at the gameplay, it may well be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

area51 wrote:
Very beautiful project, I pledged for it for the very first time in my life. 8)

Hopefully it's not the last! Kickstarter's a great place to be. :)

White Lotus Interactive has just put up a Sandbox Demo of part of the game on their website. http://xingthegame.com/demo.html All they ask for you is to fill out a short survey about your experience. I Haven't gotten a chance to download it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

The survey isn't a requirement for the download of the demo btw, but thanks for the heads up, phvolt220, I'm downloading it as I write ... :D

(I'll fill out the survey afterwards of course nevertheless :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hi, everyone ... I've been exploring the demo of this world and I am really impressed ... It is absolutely and breathtakingly awesome and beautiful ... the graphics of course, the music is perfectly fitting and it is wonderful to just very relaxed enjoy the environments and the gorgeous beauty, with everything nicely shimmering and with not so many puzzles atm lol ... just wow!!! ... :P

As this game uses the same engine as 'The Five Cores' almost the same movement keys and commands apply ... I'll add those from my own post back then here again with a few adjustments ... I could only bring this demo to run with setting the exe to 'Windows7 compatability' ... so, just try something out if anyone had any problems ...

[Reveal] Spoiler: Keys and commands
The main movement keys:
- Cursors up, down, right and left plus additional w,a,s,d, where 'a' and 'd' are strafe right and strafe left
- you jump as always with 'Space' and you can jump with 'Ctrl' as well
- the 'Shift' key doesn't accelerate your speed in this pre alpha demo version
- 'Esc' offers the menue for 'Resume' and 'Quit'

further on

- with the F8 and F7 key you're getting the 'WireFrame Rendering', means you're landing in
the Matrix lol, and you get out of that state with pushing three or four times F8 where you're
moving through different states of renderings (works also with F7 btw)
- F11 toggles between 'Fullscreen' and 'windowed mode'
- press Alt+Tab to get to your desktop or switch apps as usual
- with F9 you can take high-res-screenshots and find them as bmp
under --> C or else:\UDK\Xing Sandbox Demo\UDKGame\Screenshots\Win32

With 'Tab' you can activate many 'Exec functions in UnrealScript' appearing at the
bottom of the screen ...

Available commands: 'Fly', 'Walk', 'FOV', 'Exit', 'Ghost' etc... just try it out ...

When using 'Fly' you can get back to the ground using the 'Walk' command, this is esp. necessary
when you'd like to activate something (hand cursor) which doesn't work when in fly mode ...
When using 'Ghost', where you can move through walls and everything lol, you can go back to normal
mode with the same 'Walk' command ...

With the left mouse button grab stuff like shells or coconuts etc., keep and carry it with the right mouse and drop it
again with the left mouse button ...

This demo is already quite comprehensive and you can already toggle day and night circles and create rain and snow etc. if you figure out how to do it ... The transport and teleport facilities are very nice and funny as well though you first have to reveal and accept them as such lol ... One can jump on almost everything and you can walk through the plants and woods etc., means you can move quite freely everywhere ... :)

I've sorted out a few pictures from the many that I have lol to provide you all some immediate impressions ...
And now just enjoy ... :D

[Reveal] Spoiler: Pictures

Last edited by Mac_Fife on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed spoilers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:00 am 
Obduction Backer

I agree it's beautiful, janaba, and I've supported the kickstarter - which has already passed its first target.

If anyone can't get the demo to work - and it's really choppy for me - then there are gameplay videos you can watch instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

To whet your appetite even more I'd like to provide you all a great list of YouTube videos, which Wamduskasapa has put together on the GoW forums ... :P

Watch the aliveness and gorgeous beauty glistening in the sun or drifting apart or blowing away in the storms, the snow and the rain in full view besides much more interactive magic to experience and explore ... Enjoy ... :D

XING:THE LAND BEYOND - Pre-Alpha Review/Overview
Update 8: Meet The Team
XING: The Land Beyond gameplay trailer
XING - The Land Beyond - Make It Happen
XING: The Land Beyond trailer
Xing announcement trailer
XING Indie Game - Beach Teaser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Acorn posted a wonderful Kickstarter Countdown Q&A video on the GoW forums, and this so awesome and those lovely Xing developers are answering very humorous, authentically and openly all of 'our' questions from many social networks, I just had to share it here with you all too, as I believe that at least some will find that interesting and inspiring as well ... :P

This is the almost 3 hrs YouTube video of some hours ago ...

Below in spoiler tags is my comment to that from the GoW forums, just directly pasted resp. quoted here, which contains the link to that video at exactly the time when they answer the question to which games inspired them ... Enjoy, everyone and have a great day ... :D

[spoiler]This is so awesome!!! Thank you, Acorn ... :P

Aren't they just wonderful and lovely, almost angelic ... I really enjoy watching and listening to them, and I had a hard time to stop watching those guys and this beautiful gal ... I have to say I actually couldn't haha, I'm going through the whole while following and reading other stuff, incl. commenting here lol ... :D

Ok, it is of course easy to be lovely, easy and cool, when you're successful and accepted with what you're doing, but I'd say that they just are like that, naturally, and they're just open and following their passion and making the best of their expertise and continually expanding their skills etc., and they're nicely co-creating this together while remaining very clear of what they want and aspire as well as being very aware of what they have to deal with besides the fun of game creation, all of the economic, financial, management stuff etc. going along with all of this, and they're doing it authentically and open-minded ... :)

Ahhh, at 1:01:33 they finally answer the question which games actually inspired them and influenced the game creation ... Haha ... What do you all think? ... First answer: 'Myst obviously', this is the big one in everyone's mind' ... He remembers his dad showing him Myst when he was about 8, but he didn't beat it then, but just a few years ago ... sweet ... Just watch it for yourselves, if you like here, this is a link to that exact position ... 8-)

Yeah, and there is Portal and other games, just listen in above ... Of course they'll be keeping in mind to adjust everything to a great Occulus Rift experience, many have been questioning them about that ... Thanks again, Acorn, for pointing us to that ... I'm very excited and happy for them and wish them further on the best of luck, success and fun and everything ... :)[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here's another one that I've donated to:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/494598080/the-gallery-six-elements

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:26 pm 
That one does look good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Here's a link to the Xing devblog.

http://xingthegame.blogspot.co.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:35 pm 

You're missing another obvious reason why they wouldn't tie into the Myst canon.

Getting the rights to make a Myst game wouldn't be all that easy, and even if they did gain permission to do so, they'd have to split their revenue with (Cyan Worlds).

I figure it's easier - from a legal standpoint - to just make your own game detached from the Myst franchise.

Besides all of that, the Myst canon is kind of a mess by this point anyway.

Anyway - the games posted in this thread look really stunningly beautiful. I'm excited to see what other creative stuff these devs pull off in the finished games.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:51 pm 

matthornb wrote:
You're missing another obvious reason why they wouldn't tie into the Myst canon.

Getting the rights to make a Myst game wouldn't be all that easy, and even if they did gain permission to do so, they'd have to split their revenue with (Cyan Worlds).

I figure it's easier - from a legal standpoint - to just make your own game detached from the Myst franchise.

Besides all of that, the Myst canon is kind of a mess by this point anyway.

Anyway - the games posted in this thread look really stunningly beautiful. I'm excited to see what other creative stuff these devs pull off in the finished games.

Shora: Has any of you checked out http://www.ilathid.com/ It may be awhile coming but looks good to me! :D

KI 1450853

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 pm 

I have seen Ages of Ilathid, and as far as I can tell they aren't trying to sell it.

If it's a nonprofit fangame you can get approval to make it Myst-related, a lot more easily.

Even I did a freeware Myst fangame once. It was called "Sehv T'devokan". I'd like to port it to a more modern format but that's kind of low-priority for me right now. As is... it only runs on old PCs (XP or earlier). I'd like to reassemble it in HTML5, but at the moment I've got other more critical tasks to tend to.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Xing Kickstarter update:

janaba1 wrote:
Acorn posted a wonderful Kickstarter Countdown Q&A video on the GoW forums, and this so awesome and those lovely Xing developers are answering very humorous, authentically and openly all of 'our' questions from many social networks, I just had to share it here with you all too, as I believe that at least some will find that interesting and inspiring as well ... :P

Of course they'll be keeping in mind to adjust everything to a great Oculus Rift experience, many have been questioning them about that ... Thanks again, Acorn, for pointing us to that ... I'm very excited and happy for them and wish them further on the best of luck, success and fun and everything ... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0OWQMrGTeg&feature=youtu.be
is a link to their youtube video of trying out the game with Oculus Rift.

http://xingthegame.blogspot.co.uk/ is more detail, in their blogspot, of how well Oculus Rift works with Xing and why.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next