It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:56 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:46 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
gmz1023 wrote:
edit: Also, there appears to be two different symbols on the thing... one on the blade which looks like the one i posted and one on the handle that looks like the one Mac posted.
That's interesting because they both use similar features even though they're different - I wonder if the '7'-like shape is significant in some way?

The lettering on the handle had the appearance of being "teaped" since they look slightly irregular - that might be a local term here, but teapes are individual letter or number punches that you hit with a mallet to make an impression on wood or metal often used to mark the owner of a tool. Usually, if you were doing a lot of marking or doing it to mark products for sale you'd get a punch made up with the entire stamp so you wouldn't get the irregularity - my dad was a joiner and cabinet maker and had a punch with his name for marking work (and his tools, which I mostly still have). I digress - it looked odd for it to have that uneven appearance - made me think it was a one-off or a sample.

I also wondered if the logo(s) had been stamped by combining several discrete symbols.

well first, i'd just like to point out i think the "7" is actually an "L", and i have double, triple and quadruple checked that the symbols are indeed different... I'm almost starting to think this thing fell out of the Fissure.

KI #12987306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:33 am 

Almost seems like it...hmm.... what if.... [spoiler]
GMZ's friend did not find the nife but rather made it and GMZ is playing a "game" with us in which we have to figure out what the knif is.
[/spoiler]
^text hidden in spoiler tag for it's kind of cool if your figure this out on your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:04 am 

Jamie Marchant wrote:
Almost seems like it...hmm.... what if.... [spoiler]
GMZ's friend did not find the nife but rather made it and GMZ is playing a "game" with us in which we have to figure out what the knif is.
[/spoiler]
^text hidden in spoiler tag for it's kind of cool if your figure this out on your own.

Yah, i wish... because this would actually make a pretty interesting ARG... but i lack the technical know-how to make such an object. xD

this is NOT a fake post by me--my friend and I are legitmately trying to figure out what the heek this thing is. He claims it to be a post-war something something. he doesn't know which war, just that its post war. He's trying to figure out what it is so that he can sell it (at least thats my understanding of what he's after)

KI #12987306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:51 pm 

Looks like I read more until some of GMZ's posts... annways, is the Antechs Road Show still on because that would be a perfect place too take this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

You could always submit photos and information to the "What is it?" blog.

http://55tools.blogspot.co.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:38 pm 

Jamie Marchant wrote:
Looks like I read more until some of GMZ's posts... annways, is the Antechs Road Show still on because that would be a perfect place too take this.

Eh, with my history it's completely understandable. and yes Antique road show is still on.

KI #12987306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:47 pm 

Since it's neither iron nor steel I doubt it is a weapon. Last time bronze was used as an efficient top notch weapon was somewhere in the 17th century; as cannon barrels. I doubt that this thing has ever been a dagger. It does however look a bit like a spearhead. But I doubt that it has ever been used as a weapon. It's certainly not pre-Roman and that's the time we're talking about when meaning fighting with it. Could be ornamental or a tool of some sort.
If it's a tool then the question arises what it is for. And why is it made in bronze/brass and not in iron? Iron is cheaper than bronze, easier to form and much stronger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:43 pm 

cpt-jericho wrote:
Since it's neither iron nor steel I doubt it is a weapon. Last time bronze was used as an efficient top notch weapon was somewhere in the 17th century; as cannon barrels. I doubt that this thing has ever been a dagger. It does however look a bit like a spearhead. But I doubt that it has ever been used as a weapon. It's certainly not pre-Roman and that's the time we're talking about when meaning fighting with it. Could be ornamental or a tool of some sort.
If it's a tool then the question arises what it is for. And why is it made in bronze/brass and not in iron? Iron is cheaper than bronze, easier to form and much stronger.

please refresh my memory but does Broze conduct electricity?

KI #12987306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:55 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Yes, but only about 1/8 as well as copper does. All metals are electrically conductive to some degree - it's part of what defines something as "metal": http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistry ... taldef.htm.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:58 pm 

I have been searching some sites for our little knife..

Here are a couple of sites that have knives similiar to what has been shown.

http://www.thefind.com/sports/info-arkansas-toothpick

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/s-63-kniv ... words.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:42 am 

http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-art- ... Z478668522

this looks a bit similar.

KI #03313934

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:09 am 

It looks more diffent then simalar to me, pluse there is no symbol on it and the case is very diffrent.

Do we know for shure what meteal GMZ's nife is made of? Can you tell by how much electicty it cunducts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Magnetic test will tell you if it's steel - although it is true that there are non-magnetic stainless steels. they are quite exotic.

I've been googling too,and not found a close match to this knife. A single good photo to enter into Tin Eye would be very useful.

On conductivity, you would be hard pressed to distinguish if this was copper, brass, bronze or even steel from its resistance.

Reasons for making a tool out of non-ferrous metal include lack of magnetic effect (either affecting or being affected by) and lack of sparking (for working in explosive atmospheres - such as mines, or flour mills)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:58 pm 

I believe the knife/dagger may have been hand made for someone, but it still looks like a knife on the sites I have posted.
As for the type of metal that was used, is a mystery.

I believe the only way we can find out what this knife is will have to be decided by an antique dealer that would know of such types of items.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:21 pm 

I have to agree with the Broken broad sword, if you look at the discoloration at the tip in the first picture, it almost looks like its been heat treated, as if some one was trying to harden the end of it after reworking the shape.

Nice knife

edit to add

but after looking at the video I get the feeling I may be a little off base.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Last edited by Karkadann on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next