It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:14 am 

Yeah, I know... we all listen to whatever is playing in-game. I've been known to login to Uru, run down the Kahlo pub, just cuz I'm in the mood to hear "The Fall of D'ni" in a proper setting.

But seeing as I've got the whole of Myst soundtrack-world on my iPod and I can play it nonstop in my life... every so often I DO get in the mood for something else. And sometimes I like to hear something equally ambient & emotive, slightly exotic... as I wander the streets of Ae'gura.

The other day I keyed up the 'Journey' soundtrack while wandering in the City... and it blended really well. It's a game I have never played, but i picked up the soundtrack when I heard it was the FIRST video-game soundtrack ever to be nominated for a Grammy!

So what albums & tracks, OTHER than the known Myst scores, put you in mind of Myst, or do you like to hear, in Uru?

Here's a few of mine:

Brian Eno & Harold Budd: Ambient 2, the Plateaux of Mirror
Brian Eno & Harold Budd: The Pearl
Heldon: Allez Teia
David Arkenstone: Valley in the Clouds
Andreas Vollenweider: White Winds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:10 pm 

Me personally never listen in-game streams or URU's music...
I prefer Chi A.D., S.U.N. Project, Shakta.. and other GOA style music, while i play the game.
But when i am in the game only for chatting, i prefer to watch a movie on the TV, while i am in the game.

That is what i do and like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:31 pm 

Oh watching TV while paying URU not a bad idea, espessly since I have a TV tunner card. To answer the question I normally don't listen to music just for listening too music so I go with whatever in game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:40 am 
Obduction Backer

I sometimes will replay an entire age just to hear the music against the backdrop of the place - all of it wherever always seemed close to perfect - favorites though are these two: what one hears after one gets off the elevator on to the top area of Gahreisen and starts walking towards the first area to jump across and equally excellent is all of the music in Er'Cana - as one approaches the Harvester, finds ones way inside and proceeds. There's lots of other great music throughout - and The music in Myst still amazes me after all this time - Sirrus' theme is forever embedded in my mind.,
Perhaps many don't listen to the music but in all of the Myst/Uru ages in all the incarnations, I've always found the music to have an incredible ability to complement where one is.- most especially, for me at least in Myst, Riven and Uru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

My absolute favourite is the Er'cana music, but I also like the atmospheric Misty Ahnonay background, and the Gahreesen 'outdoors'. Some of the in-game stuff gets on my nerves though. In Sharper's city office and Kadish Gallery I always turn off the music...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:16 am 

I listen to... No, I think I must arrange a little gatherning to demonstrate. Who can teach me the broadcasting thing.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:01 am 
Obduction Backer

I like the Minkata music..especially when you approach a kiva in the correct alignment. soft and yet distinct. then when you complete all!! Wow!

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:00 am 

The journey soundtack is pretty awesome for myst.

James 1:19
"... Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:05 am 
Obduction Backer

I just finished knitting a pair of mitts listening to Space-Ahnonay. This is a really interesting thread, and now I'm going to have to look up some of the music mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:02 am 

Shakin' the dust off this old thread, to mention a band I recently discovered, called 'Burning Sky'.

My first thought on hearing them, was how their tunes have a sound similar to 'Air Stream', the background track that plays in the Cleft.

The band sounds like their makeup is a Navajo (I think) flute and various international percussion instruments, along with a modern guitar & using modern studio effects. Really interesting and unique music. Next time I feel like wanderin' around in the Cleft or[spoiler] ridin' Zandi's Zamboni... [/spoiler] I'll probably put on one of their albums!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:30 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Harvey..nice find...maybe post in this thread

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... kype+music

I'm still looking for the post that Christine put in about Skype-ing her with your music..to no avail
...they are looking for music to play

maybe Mouski, Planetary and Christine can expound on that here?

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:09 am 

.When I play Uru CC solo/No cd + flymode I listen to a few of my 727 mp3s.

My all time favorite is "Bird on a Wire" by Jennifer Warnes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYur1NCL6xc

My second favorite is one with a special message and it is called
"The Road To fiery abyss" by Chris Rea which says much...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZlWqVeLzg

If you wonder about what I am doing here ? It is learning about what is not the truth and this planet is quite a teacher...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeVhhHRDcQU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:59 am 

I don't really know why but I find that Gorrilaz seems to have a bit of an affinity to Uru, particularly the Plastic Beach album;

Empire Ants reminds me of the Myst intro at the beginning, a kind of calm and sleepy feeling before the electricity of discovering Myst. Love this song to bits.

The title track is awesome, makes me want to round up some friends and jump off the fake beach in Er'cana.

Cloud of Unknowing reminds me most of Ahnonay, not the mind-racking puzzles of course but the solitude of the island and its secrets within and without.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:39 pm 

Squirtdude wrote:

Yeah, the Journey and Flower soundtracks came on the PS3 game disk. I managed to put them into my PS3 --does anyone know how to get them onto a PC so I can make mp3s out of them so I can listen to them anywhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:18 pm 

poutrew wrote:
Squirtdude wrote:

Yeah, the Journey and Flower soundtracks came on the PS3 game disk. I managed to put them into my PS3 --does anyone know how to get them onto a PC so I can make mp3s out of them so I can listen to them anywhere?

Check this next video if using Windows 7. Play it full screen to be able to read the lines and use the "pause" button for more reading time or even screenshots...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiDgfiaivW4

Edit:
if ever you are looking for a free PS3 Media Server, you will find 5 versions here...
http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/downloads/list