It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Ok. I see what you are saying. I took a quick look at the old forums to get a better idea of what you were talking about. The "Quote" button should be available when you are logged out now. I've also removed the "Post Reply" button from the bottom of each post to avoid confusion of the purpose of the button.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:52 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

janaba1 wrote:
...when you're not logged in...

Yeah, I missed that part. Couldn't miss it this time. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hannah wrote:
Ok. I see what you are saying. I took a quick look at the old forums to get a better idea of what you were talking about. The "Quote" button should be available when you are logged out now. I've also removed the "Post Reply" button from the bottom of each post to avoid confusion of the purpose of the button.

Wow!!! Great, Hannah!!! Thank you ... now I could easily quote you and answer directly ... I can also understand that others who are always automatically logged in forgot how everything worked when you're not ... Yeah, thanks again, Hannah ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
But, even worse is that links to specific posts here go to the top of the thread, now. :cry:

Note that you can work around this by manually inserting a p into the URL:

Old URL: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=399741#399741 (goes to the top of the page now because there is no anchor named “399741” anymore)
New URL: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=399741#p399741

I suppose the forum code could be hacked to leave out that p again so that old links would continue to work, but we have seen where such hacks take us – a forum software that can’t be updated for years. So I wouldn’t recommend that, we just have to bite the bullet once.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

What a great and easy workaround, Christian, thanks ... Ok, it'd be better to not have to do that, but at least one doesn't have to replace or renew all the links, one just has to add that p when loaded and it works like a charm ... awesome ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:58 pm 

Hannah wrote:

Janaba ...

Am I missing something here? Or maybe I'm just being thick?
You wanted the Quote button on posts, even when you're logged out?

Forgive me pointing out the bleeding obvious ... YOU STILL HAVE TO LOG IN TO SEE THE QUOTE AND WRITE YOUR POST

So, what is the point of seeing the Quote button when you are logged out?
Please do explain the need for this, because I honestly cannot see the point.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
@Christian, thanks for the seemingly easy workaround, but how do I find out the number of the post?

Alien wrote:
Hannah wrote:

Janaba ...

Forgive me pointing out the bleeding obvious ... YOU STILL HAVE TO LOG IN TO SEE THE QUOTE AND WRITE YOUR POST

Yes, but with the quote button visible when logged out, clicking it takes you to a log-in screen and once logged in, you can return to the post, quote ready to go - which I just tried out. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:15 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
Alien wrote:
Hannah wrote:

Janaba ...

Yes, but with the quote button visible when logged out, clicking it takes you to a log-in screen and once logged in, you can return to the post, quote ready to go - which I just tried out. :mrgreen:

Bleeding obvious part 2 ... why not stay logged in? Is that so hard? would it kill you? or if you absolutely must log out ... why the fiery abyss not just bloody log in FIRST then look at the forum? the forum TELLS YOU WHAT IS NEW AND UNREAD ... shocking idea, I know

I'm sorry for the sarcasm, but I'm fed up of 1 or 2 people making unnecessary requests (tempted to say demands) and not applying common sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:22 pm 
Tai'lahr wrote:
how do I find out the number of the post?

I believe you can get the link to a specific post from the little page icon in the top-left corner, next to the date of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

DLordofTime wrote:
I believe you can get the link to a specific post from the little page icon in the top-left corner, next to the date of the post.
:oops: - It was on the other side before, IIRC. Just missed finding it. :oops: Thanks, DLord. :)

Alien wrote:
I'm sorry for the sarcasm, but I'm fed up of 1 or 2 people making unnecessary requests (tempted to say demands) and not applying common sense.
/SteveMartinVoice "Well, excuuuuuse me. /endSteveMartinVoice :P

Sorry for putting you out, but some of us are just trying to find our way around the new system. If it bothers you that much, perhaps you should stop reading the thread. Geez.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
@Christian, thanks for the seemingly easy workaround, but how do I find out the number of the post?

Umm, I thought you were talking about existing links, made before the forum update, that already contain the post number? The numbers from those haven’t changed, it’s just the p that’s missing. If you’re talking about making new links, you do that by right-clicking on the little page icon next to the post date at the top right of a post and choosing “copy link location” (or whatever your browser names it) from the context menu. But then I don’t understand what caused your “link to the top” problem, because the link you get from the new forum is already correct and should take you right to the post.

Alien wrote:
Bleeding obvious part 2 ... why not stay logged in? Is that so hard? would it kill you? or if you absolutely must log out ... why the fiery abyss not just bloody log in FIRST then look at the forum? the forum TELLS YOU WHAT IS NEW AND UNREAD ... shocking idea, I know

Let me just say that I’m very glad as well that the “quote” button is back when logged out. On the old forum, there was a very legitimate reason for not logging in unless you had to: it would mark all posts as read, even those you haven't actually read, some time after your last activity. So you had better only log in if you actually had time to read all new posts, or didn't mind missing some. I don’t know if this is still the case now, I hope not (based on my experience with other phpBB 3 forums, I expect not). Besides, why should I have to log in just to read the public forum? It’s none of the forum’s business who I am as long as I’m not doing anything (e.g. posting) that it needs to know it for.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, you're right, DLordofTime ... (I was thinking that also, Christian, that she was talking of existing links) ... and Alien, I've described everything extensively above, you just have to read it, if you really like to understand it, so, I won't explain it again just for you ... :wink:

I also said that I absolutely understand all those who are in the minority btw (there are 44 people online atm of which are 11 only (bots included) logged in) who are automatically logged in ... and no, I don't like to be logged in all the time, why should I, when I only want to read through the news and only 'maybe' answer a post every now and then ... I'm just answering this here right now as I'm speaking for the majority of people who handle it like me ... and there are also those, I am one of them, who get their MOUL forums news through a rss/atom feed reader, means there isn't a need to be always logged in at all, and this feed reader allows me to get into website view per one click and then it is nice to have the 'quote' button ready ... :mrgreen:

Yeah, you see, it is good to see whatever from different points of views, cause there are actually always many, as many as there are people oftentimes ... Have a great day ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

This might be helpful for some of us to review: the FAQ (which Mac just reminded me about). :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

veralun wrote:
Ainia wrote:
It appears that we are now limited to *four* spoilers per post

There is no limit anymore, so all (fixed) posts will show/hide correctly. :D

Woo hoo!!!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:12 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:

That's a nice feature, I didn't even know it was existing. I always log in first then find the thread, the post, then quote it.

And I like the new smilies available: :| & :mrgreen: (janaba was faster than me to find it out :wink: )& :o ...maybe they were there already I don't recall.

There's an issue with the tiny text though... is there anyone that can read this following text:

Betty Botter bought a bit of butter, the butter Betty Botter bought was a bit bitter, and made her batter bitter. But a bit of better butter makes better batter. So Betty Botter bought a bit of better butter. Making Betty Botter's bitter batter better

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next