It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:14 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:43 am 
Obduction Backer

You're probably correct about much of Ae'gura but look at the Concert Hall balcony thread where DaVInci and Emor D'ni Lap have shown there is plenty of room for the concert hall after all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:35 am 
Obduction Backer

Are you sure about that?

Looks pretty unworkable (without some major cavern wall adjustment) to me. If it can't be done without breaking out errant geometry, then it's currently beyond what we can do... Unless you want to put a concert hall in a small cubbyhole.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:59 am 
Obduction Backer

(continuing to veer the thread way off subject) If Cyan intended to ever fill it in then it should be doable by our intrepid writers shouldn't it? Maybe the question is which areas of Ae'gura are possible and which aren't. Some have interiors already just not filled in. I suppose this has been hashed out years ago?

(note: I've now given up on using the books physical descriptions as cyan seems to have had to when it came down to trying to build the city )

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:17 am 
The problem is that Ae'gura is simply too small. If you scaled it up about 4 times to is proper size (Ae'gura is actually overp 350 spans tall), you could comfortably fit everything a proper city needs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:15 pm 

ventris wrote:
(continuing to veer the thread way off subject) If Cyan intended to ever fill it in then it should be doable by our intrepid writers shouldn't it? Maybe the question is which areas of Ae'gura are possible and which aren't. Some have interiors already just not filled in. I suppose this has been hashed out years ago?

(note: I've now given up on using the books physical descriptions as cyan seems to have had to when it came down to trying to build the city )

I think there are several problems here, firstly (which has already been pointed out) that the City is disproportionally incorrect in terms of dimensions. You can see this near the City map and watch the GZ beam and estimate where the focal point originates. It simply doesn't fit.

If someone were to 'populate' all the buildings with interiors, it would not be long before there would be a real need to rebuild the entire city to fit everything in correctly to scale as it should be.

Before you could even attempt this, you would need to find permission first. Then you need to find someone - or group of people - prepared to take on the task to dissemble the city and completely rebuild it, possibly from scratch. In practical terms, it may be easier to leave it as it is and maybe focus on building another part of the Cavern.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
B'ni Rabbit. wrote:
ventris wrote:

I think there are several problems here, firstly (which has already been pointed out) that the City is disproportionally incorrect in terms of dimensions. You can see this near the City map and watch the GZ beam and estimate where the focal point originates. It simply doesn't fit.

If someone were to 'populate' all the buildings with interiors, it would not be long before there would be a real need to rebuild the entire city to fit everything in correctly to scale as it should be.

Before you could even attempt this, you would need to find permission first. Then you need to find someone - or group of people - prepared to take on the task to dissemble the city and completely rebuild it, possibly from scratch. In practical terms, it may be easier to leave it as it is and maybe focus on building another part of the Cavern.

Well, now you've got another question for Rand right there, B'ni. :)

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
I hate to double post, but I have some questions of my own for Rand Miller:

1. You once said that getting Myst III and IV for Steam (and I'm assuming - and hoping! - for gog.com), would require "contacting the right people." I found a website for Presto (kinda sorta kinda) here, which as we all know, was responsible for Myst III. Have you had any luck in contacting the people at Presto? What can you tell us (that won't upset your lawyers, of course)?

2. In Myst IV, the opening credits refer to "Team Revelation." Who was involved with Team Revelation? Are these the people you need to contact to get Revelation ported to Steam and gog.com? Is there any progress you can legally report on that front?

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:26 pm 

Following on from TOOO's question regarding Presto:

Q: If you can get the permission, would Cyan make a realMyst III : Exile and maybe even a realMyst IV : Revelation?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:44 pm 

I was told yesterday that the interview isn't taking place.. Is that true?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:56 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

TOOO wrote:
I found a website for Presto (kinda sorta kinda) here, which as we all know, was responsible for Myst III. Have you had any luck in contacting the people at Presto?
I think it's probably a lot more complicated than that. As I understand it, Presto did all the development of Myst III with a license from Cyan to use the names, characters, etc., so aside from that all the IP was essentially Presto's rather than Cyan's. This is different to some of the other cases where it is the distribution/publication rights that are the issue. Whatever the case there, as the webpage you found indicates, Presto no longer exist and all the rights were inherited by Mattel Interactive (publishers of realMyst). In due course they gave it up and the rights passed to... Surprise, surprise: Ubisoft.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:08 pm 

Is there any way you guys at Cyan can update the 3ds Max Plugin Documentation

Also what are the chances of opening some of the doors in age's like D'ni, Bevin, the Watchers Pub, and Gahreesen. I noticed some of them like the ones in the Watchers pub and Gahreesen look like part of a potential update.

If so would you be willing to trust some of the fans add something behind the doors if you don't have the funding to add what you originally had in mind for those ages

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
TOOO wrote:
I found a website for Presto (kinda sorta kinda) here, which as we all know, was responsible for Myst III. Have you had any luck in contacting the people at Presto?
I think it's probably a lot more complicated than that. As I understand it, Presto did all the development of Myst III with a license from Cyan to use the names, characters, etc., so aside from that all the IP was essentially Presto's rather than Cyan's. This is different to some of the other cases where it is the distribution/publication rights that are the issue. Whatever the case there, as the webpage you found indicates, Presto no longer exist and all the rights were inherited by Mattel Interactive (publishers of realMyst). In due course they gave it up and the rights passed to... Surprise, surprise: Ubisoft.

Thanks, Mac. That explains a lot. So, in the end, everything comes back to Ubisoft.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:35 am 
Obduction Backer

As a side note, Presto has been doing a really good job of updating/porting their old games and selling them on gog.com. I doubt they would be unwilling to do the same for a gog.com release of Exile. Ubisoft, on the other hand... This seems somewhat hopeless

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
Are you sure about that?
Looks pretty unworkable (without some major cavern wall adjustment) to me. If it can't be done without breaking out errant geometry, then it's currently beyond what we can do... Unless you want to put a concert hall in a small cubbyhole.

Replied in separate thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:19 am 

Is there any update on the interview? Not trying to put pressure on anyone, I know how hard it can be to arrange these things. I was just wondering because July 22-27 is only 2 weeks away, and I'm hoping the interview happens on my day off. I would love to be there for it.

Thanks in advance for any updates.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next