It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skydiving Client
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 pm 

dgelessus wrote:
Nope, expired now ;) Probably only works for a minute or so.

So it has ... Lyrositor ... I take it back and bow to your superior knowledge ...
But it begs the question ... why?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:34 pm 

Alien wrote:

Because DLL-fixer is a big scam, that's why... They want you or (mainly) other that will follow you if you put their site in reference to reach their front page. This is where they can fool you.

Lyrositor was right we should never download from them. The thing is we need the Libeay32.dll, you take it from them and you leave the premises as fast as you can... Those type of websites I don't trust them, usually I'll clean my browser after going there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alien wrote:

I suspect it's in order to prevent hotlinking, partly. If people could just share the download link, they would never know it's provided courtesy of DLL-files.com. Any website could start serving links to DLL-files.com files: it would get a higher amount of visits, consuming less bandwidth, while DLL-files.com receives less visits and thus less revenue from advertising.

Annabelle wrote:
Because DLL-fixer is a big scam, that's why... They want you or (mainly) other that will follow you if you put their site in reference to reach their front page. This is where they can fool you.

Lyrositor was right we should never download from them. The thing is we need the Libeay32.dll, you take it from them and you leave the premises as fast as you can... Those type of websites I don't trust them, usually I'll clean my browser after going there.

That's not why you shouldn't download from them. I did a bit of cursory research on them, and it looks like DLL-files.com is a legit site; they need money to run, though, which is why they try selling you their software, DLL-fixer. It probably poses no more threat to you than any other website on the Internet (in fact, Facebook probably spies more on you than DLL-files.com). Not to mention that if such a widely used website distributed dangerous software, I'm pretty sure all the major anti-virus software tools would set off several alarms the moment you visited it or once DLL-fixer is downloaded.

As I said, the reason why you shouldn't download from them is because it doesn't fix the bigger problem, it's just a temporary patch to get it working.

Christian Walther wrote:
By the way, as the labeling on your Mac says, it’s Mac, not MAC – short for Macintosh, whereas MAC means Media Access Control, which is something completely different. Sorry, I can’t help it. No harm done, it just irritates me when people get it wrong. :)

I wanted to point that out too. :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:11 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

At the risk of staying slightly off-topic here, I'll say that I'm somewhat averse to those DLL download sites, and am more inclined to align with Annabelle's view: Rather than needing money to sustain a library of DLLs, it's the other way round - they hold the DLLs as a hook to lure people to buy their rather worthless (not harmful, just useless) DLL fix-up tools. Most people never need to download a DLL from a third party site anyway and usually come across links to those places when they've "broken" something and they're getting an error message mentioning a DLL.

Setting that gripe aside, I notice that the DLL on DLL-Fixer is v1.0.0c which is about 18 months old, so I've grabbed the sources from http://www.openssl.org/ for the latest version (1.0.1e) and built new DLLs using ActiveState Perl 5.16.3, NASM 2.07 and Visual Studio 2003 (instructions are in the OpenUru wiki).
You can download a zip containing both libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll from here: http://uru.mac-fife.me.uk/openssl-1.0.1h.zip - at least you know the provenance of those files if you're worried about the DLL-Fixer ones ;)

[Edit - updated link since I built a post-Heartbleed version of OpenSSL]
[Edit2 - Jan 19, 2015 - OpenSSL DLLs version 1.0.1l are here: http://uru.mac-fife.me.uk/openssl-1.0.1l.zip]
[Edit3 - May 20, 2015 - OpenSSL DLLs version 1.0.2a are here: http://uru.mac-fife.me.uk/openssl-1.0.2a.zip]

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Last edited by Mac_Fife on Wed May 20, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:42 am 
Obduction Backer

When I had a similar problem, the one thing I noticed was that both dll's had to be at the same version number.

I found LIBeay32.dll and SSLeay32.dll at version 1.0.1.0 from BOINC manager, the program that manages the [email protected] operations on my PC. They solved my client install problems.

I found that using versions at different release numbers gave false alarms, looking for other .dll's that are not necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:55 pm 

AlanD wrote:
When I had a similar problem, the one thing I noticed was that both dll's had to be at the same version number.

I found LIBeay32.dll and SSLeay32.dll at version 1.0.1.0 from BOINC manager, the program that manages the [email protected] operations on my PC. They solved my client install problems.

I found that using versions at different release numbers gave false alarms, looking for other .dll's that are not necessary.

This is why we need to grab the Libeay32.dll from dll-fixer.com. You must use the same .dll as Lyrositor used.

I had the same issue with some custom-made plclients recently where I had to ask their creator to send me their .dll files because as soon as you have a slight difference in your version, it won't work.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:30 pm 

I copied the one from WhoM installation folder. Thanks for the download link :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Annabelle, I think Mac_Fife's download, which contains both files at version 1.0.1.5 compiled from the openSSL source, is the best source in this thread. I'd avoid the dll-files site, partly because of its intrusive "fixer" app, but also because it doesn't contain the latest versions of many dll's, and the versions it has of LIBeay32.dll and SSLeay32.dll are different from each other :o

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:51 pm 

AlanD wrote:
Annabelle, I think Mac_Fife's download, which contains both files at version 1.0.1.5 compiled from the openSSL source, is the best source in this thread. I'd avoid the dll-files site, partly because of its intrusive "fixer" app, but also because it doesn't contain the latest versions of many dll's, and the versions it has of LIBeay32.dll and SSLeay32.dll are different from each other :o

Ah sorry for that AlanD :lol: . I read Mac_Fife rapidly... I was more focused on other matter yesterday. The better a source is the better the file will be. You just need the one that fits. Sometime they miss a line of code which makes it impossible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

When I try to run the Download exe i get and error message..NxCharacter.dill is missing and it isn't

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

I can't download game ...I get a pop up error NxCharacter.dll is missing...and it is not missing

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:52 am 

I run on a Macintosh using Wine and the Cider wrapper, installed via MacPorts, so getting the Skydiving client to work was a little different for me.

I downloaded UruSkydiver.exe and put it in this folder (alongside UruExplorer.exe and UruLauncher.exe):

(drive)/opt/local/share/mystonline/data

where (drive) is the name of my hard drive.

I also downloaded libeay32.dll and put it in that same folder.

Then thanks to Christian Walther's info, I opened this file:

/Applications/MacPorts/Myst Online (Cider).app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Info.plist

and at line 30 found:

<string>C:\Program Files\Uru Live\UruExplorer.exe</string>

and changed it to:

<string>C:\Program Files\Uru Live\UruSkydiver.exe</string>

And then I launch Uru in the usual way, and I'm in, with Skydiving capabilities again. Thanks to everybody for the software and the info.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

It matters which dll you download - there are now 9 different ones at that site - the problem is that the one I chose - 1.0.1.10 - caused the client to immediately crash with a message that the program could not start, and my only option was to close it. Zesty of Xeniphers sent me the one that works - version 1.0.0.3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:48 pm 

Sounds like it was a bad DLL build as the interface hasn't changed. 1.0.0.3 is very old (December 2010), and though it doesn't matter much the way Uru uses it, has a few vulnerabilities.

If it helps, I rebuilt my OpenSSL DLLs (libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll) at 1.0.1L (or 1.0.1.12 depending on how you want label them) back in January, and updated the download link in my post, 10 posts above this one.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:55 pm 

I've again refreshed my OpenSSL DLLs (libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll) for OpenSSL version 1.0.2a:
http://uru.mac-fife.me.uk/openssl-1.0.2a.zip

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next