It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:44 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
OK, I'm going to take the risk that no-one has posted or seen this video, yet. It seems that underground is the way to go:

Europe's Underground City [Watch it to Believe it]

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:35 pm 

Well I certainly haven't seen that before!

Way to go, Helsinki!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Amazing!
As they said, Helsinki may be uniquely positioned to do that because of the bedrock foundation immediately underground.
But what they don't mention? Where the heck do they PUT all that excavated rock?!?!?!?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:50 pm 

Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
Amazing!
As they said, Helsinki may be uniquely positioned to do that because of the bedrock foundation immediately underground.
But what they don't mention? Where the heck do they PUT all that excavated rock?!?!?!?

Maybe the caves were created by using high pressured water which is used today to cut thick steel :wink:

Helsinky is not unique :!:

In Derinkuyu, Turkey there is an underground city (+- 300 ft deep) and many thousand years old.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_s14iRO5Us

In Montréal Canada a big portion of the underground rock was used to expand the Ste Hélène island in the middle of the St Lawrence river (fleuve) for Expo 67 :!:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Artic_Wagon wrote:
Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
Amazing!

Helsinky is not unique :!:

In Derinkuyu, Turkey there is an underground city (+- 300 ft deep) and many thousand years old.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_s14iRO5Us
I guess if I had been super-precise in my wording, I should have said "Helsinki may be uniquely positioned to carve out the enormous spaces they show in that video because of the bedrock foundation immediately underground."

I sure was not saying that Helsinki's is the only underground city on the planet; take a look at this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_city

Yes, Derinkuyu is astounding! But the reason they were able to do so much carving-out of habitable space there (underground AND above-ground, in the weird pillar formations around Cappadocio) is that it's all sandstone, not the hard bedrock of Helsinki.

A quote from the video you posted:
"At Derinkuyu, because of the softness of the stone, you had to be very careful that you provided enough pillar strength to support the floors above, otherwise you'd have catastrophic cave-ins. Surprisingly, there's no evidence of catastrophic cave-ins, so they were extremely clever and knew their material."

From what I can find online, the biggest room at Derinkuyu was used as a church, and was about 20X9 meters, with a ceiling just over 3 meters high. I have not been able to locate any measurements of the vast industrial spaces shown in TOOO's posted video, but some of those spaces sure look to be many times over three meters high, and possibly hundreds of meters wide! This was what I meant Helsinki may be uniquely positioned to do.

Oh! And what they do with the rock? They cart it out and dump it in the harbor, making more habitable space, and more marina coastline for the city.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Dooms-Day Preppers have nothing comparable to this...lol

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah! The beginnings of Metropolis.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wafna wrote:
Ah! The beginnings of Metropolis.

A brilliant film. Be sure to watch the 2010 restoration, which contains 25 minutes of newly-found footage not seen since the Paramount butchery. It transforms the film, which now develops properly as a story and needs no reading of scripts or imagination of lost scenes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:15 pm 

He he...if CNN has been there then it's new(s) & true. But nothing out of the ordinary here.
Since most parts of the Scandinavia (Finland, Sweden & Norway) consists of hard & stable
bedrock or granite, why not use it... Dig some of the infrastructure & power systems down
in the ground. I think also the re-use of generated energy surplus, in form of heat etc is a
Skandic feature and very common all over.

In the case with Helsinki, the City Center is on a peninsula and just can't be expanded for
what ever purpose it may be. And every city needs to grow. This also co-inside with the
present trend of moving Shipping Trade & Port Facilities out of city centers further away
and re-create the old ports into areas of commerce & living space. Just like in Docklands
in London, Islands Brygge in Copenhagen, Denmark etc.

So in case of Helsinki, the "dugouts" ended up as landfills in a purposely created huge port
facility (Vuosaari) some 15 miles east of the city center that now handle all RO-RO traffic.

And btw, it's a kind of tradition in Scandinavian architecture, to use stone, you can see it
everywhere if visiting Helsinki or other cities. There's some unique examples in Helsinki.
Like the "Temppeliaukio Church" or the Railway Station, several Museums etc.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

And in case of
a solar flare that disrupts the grid?...hmmm

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:58 am 
Obduction Backer

If the Fins are any good at redundancy (i asume they are),
the emergency lighting will be on batteries that are surge-protected.
In which case the black-out would last milliseconds and they have hours
to turn on the generators.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]