It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I've been following the comments in the Kickstarter for Obduction and have seen a few people mention coming back to the cavern or installing MOUL for the first time, so I thought a Welcome thread would be nice.

To the newcomers: Shorah and Welcome to the Uru Community!
To current explorers: Feel free to post any tips for the newcomers that might be helpful, like the following:

Here's where to download the game.

Important: When creating a new avatar, you may end up in a perpetually revolving cave; just hit the Esc button to exit and continue on to play. This is the result of the intro movie being removed. Thanks to Charura for pointing that out and Jamie for providing the link to the movie.

If you have technical troubles getting into the cavern, check the Technical Discussion section here, especially the Common Problems and How to Solve Them thread. After almost four years online, we've pretty much seen it all, so you're likely to find the answer there.

If you plan to join these forums, be sure to check out the Information & Resource Center section, especially the How to Post in the Forums (Please Join the Explorers Group!) thread.

If you're brand new or just need a refresher course about the cavern, check out Mac_Fife's MOULagain User Manual.

TOOO recommends that newcomers watch the video Myst Online: Uru Live 102.

If you're interested in the history of explorers in the cavern over the last decade, Calumon recommends reading the Heritage Documents Journal which covers Prologue to the start of MOULa, and Mac_Fife's Activity In The Cavern which tells the story of the re-opening of the cavern in 2010.

If you want to socialize, the city is a good place to meet people (just make sure it's the public instance and not your neighborhood instance). Also, check the Events section of this forum. And, note that there is a monthly All Guilds Meeting on the first Saturday of the month at 13:00 KI time in Kirel.

Step-by-Step instructions for Newcomers who want to find other people quickly. (includes spoilers)

MOULagain is funded entirely by donations.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. As a fan of Cyan games, you probably already know this, but this is a friendly community always willing to help out newcomers. :)

NEW: Thanks to Acorn's suggestion, there's now an Obductee's Hood!

Last edited by Tai'lahr on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:30 am 

Welcome new explorers.....and Welcome back to those who have been away on other adventures.
My name is angelmyst..KI # 16195216. I am a Greeter with the Guild of New Greeters. I love to meet new peeps and make new friends. If you have questions and see me in the Cavern feel free to message me. Add me to your buddy list. When I am around..90% of the time it is in my capacity as Greeter and I will be glad to help. Rarely I am unavailable if I am seen in Cavern.
I like to hang out in the new hoods to be available to new explorers who may struggle getting started. I have some helpful notes I can send to your KI when I see you in Cavern. Ask me when you see me in cavern...not on forum.
I do not.....repeat...do not give puzzle answers. I will give nudges to get your mind thinking inthe right directiin only.
Have fun......enjoy the journey!!
Luv angelmyst.

KI #03313934

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
I'd also like to say not just Hello, but Shorah! to all newcomers and returnees!

In my signature is a link to a video to help newcomers get started.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:11 pm 

I would also like to welcome you to the cavern and the forums. Don't forget if you would like to post, you must join the explorers group, also your Cyan forum account is jointed to this account. Lastly the game is open source and if you are a programmer or someone technically minded, we could always use your help, if your interested.(but you should play the game first :))

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah all...It's been a long time since I've started from scratch on a new exploration, but I've noticed something weird when you begin as a new explorer..you are not given the traditional cut screen and then plopped into Relto,... instead you are in a never-ending revolving cave..I had to ESC to continue..not sure many newbies would try (know) that? or just quit. Just an observation...maybe a note in the play area if this is going to continue?

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:26 pm 

Shorah all!

URU has had an In Game history of Story for quite a few years now. It's quite a tale, spanning over a Decade now, and a large portion of it has been collected together into a set of journals, the Heritage Documents Journal, Which covers Prologue to the start of MOULa; and Activity In The Cavern, which, in depth, goes into what happened during the start of MOULa.

For anyone coming in who doesn't know what happened during the previous years of URU, or for those of you who just want to do a recap on the story, these journals are the best place to go to read it all easily. ^u^

Happy exploring!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:23 pm 

@Charura Oh yeah, that :(.

The game code that players the movie had to be removed when URU become open source. Cyan and the community have not implemented a replacement yet. You can watch the intro here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M1vD8JhJxM. The Cyan logo is also absent and I really like it, you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmVhKZQIrCU

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Great advice and tips, everyone! I've worked them all into the OP. Thanks for the input. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think most fans of Cyan's other games would like to explore Uru and discover places and how things work on their own, but for newcomers who want to jump right into socializing, here's specific directions on how to get to the city of Ae'gura or to the Obductee's Hood where you can find people.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Step by Step Instructions for newcomers who want to find people quickly.
The only way to access the public instance of the city or find a neighborhood is through the Nexus and you'll need a KI to use it. Here's how to get the KI:

After creating your avatar and getting through the spinning cave by hitting Escape, you'll land in Relto (the high place). This is your home where no one else can come unless you invite them by sharing your Relto book which is always on your hip.

Open the door to the hut and go inside. On the left bookshelf is just one blue book which leads to your neighborhood. Use the book to go there.

In the neighborhood, go left up the steps, through a brief tunnel, cross a bridge and then turn right to go into the book room. In the book room, turn left and use the book nearest the door you just entered through.

This is Gahreesen (your neighborhood instance, not your personal age). Once there, go through the doorway into the hallway and take a right. Follow the hallway to the first door on the right, enter, turn left and go to the next room. Here, you'll see a large machine with glowing lights. Touch it to get your KI.

Now you can use the Nexus book sitting on the nearby pedestal and, by using the book, you'll be placing a copy on your Relto shelf to be able to use anytime.

In the Nexus, approach the machine and touch it. This will open up to show you options. The main list will be City Locations; you can also choose Public Links (to get to neighborhoods).

To find the Obductee's Hood, in the Nexus, find the Public Links list. The Obductee's Hood should be on the list (if not, try scrolling). Choose it, touch the top, get the book and touch the book. You'll arrive in the neighborhood.

In the city (Ae'gura), your only access at this time is through the Ferry Landing. If you choose that book and go there, at the landing, turn right and find the Great Stairs. Follow the stairs all the way to the top and you'll arrive in the Tokotah Courtyard where there are usually people hanging out. (While in the city, you'll see Nexus book stations which you can add to your list by touching on the left side so that your avatar inserts the KI into the slot which will register it.)

Last edited by Tai'lahr on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

just a quick hello to any new people from the kickstarter comments forum! :D

Acorn xx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm in too, since the beginning of the Campaign. GO! CYAN, GO! :D

[url=http://myst-aventure.com][img]http://myst-aventure.com/-grover/image/sig-moul.gif[/img][/url] [url=http://ufo-3d.fr][img]http://ufo-3d.fr/ufo-3d-350x75.png[/img][/url] [url=https://polystudio.shop]PolyStudio[/url] MAhmtee Bevin KI #123057

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Okee dokee, thanks to Acorn for the suggestion, there is now an Obductee's Hood. It will remain public, but you might want to request an invite just in case it falls off the list. Please post your KI # here or send it to me in a PM here when requesting one.

Membership is open, too. I'll try to be in the cavern as much as possible this week to install new members. Hopefully, some of the other 15+ members will do the same. If you can't find someone to help you, then post here or send me a PM here to arrange to meet in the hood.

[Reveal] Spoiler: How To Join The Obductee's Hood
You'll need to delete your hood book (the blue on on the end of your Relto shelf).
Then meet any member of the hood in the Obductee's hood.
The hood member will offer their Relto book to you and you'll go thru their Relto and use their hood book.
That will make you a member of the hood.