It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:26 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:42 pm 

SUCCESS
My Cider Wrapper works again.
Thank you very much Ainia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

I AM IN THE CAVERN!

I am standing at Tokotah enjoying the view.

Thank you so much Ainia.

-- sky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:03 pm 

This solution with deleting those files in the dat folder was great Ainia,but the problem persists. You can log in to MOUL one time deleting those files, but next time you try to log in those files are recreated and you must go in deleting them again before you can log in again next time. This of course is a bit inconvenient, but
still a walk around.
I think the main problem is that double rolling back of the update that occurs again and again

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sorry to hear that, Kneb. I've been able to log in repeatedly after deleting those files. I can see they're being recreated, but it doesn't appear to have any negative consequences for my installation. Knock on wood...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's why it's a kludgy workaround. One thing you could do for now is make an alias of the dat folder and put it somewhere convenient like the desktop. Another thing you could try (on a copy) is to remove the TOC.txt file from the Uru Live folder.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

As a temporary Cider workaround, You could use Automator.app to make application that will delete the two files just before it opens the game. I’m thinking this will get fixed during the next update. This should save a few steps till then. (Or try Wineskin, It seems to work better for me.)

Open Automator.app
Click "New Document”

In the Choose a type for your document window:
select Application
click Choose

1: In the Actions Library on the left. Find "Get Specified Finder Items” and drag it to the window on the right.
Drag the two *files from the Finder.app into the "Get Specified Finder Items" automator action:
MOULagain.app/Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/dat/
*GlobalClothing_District_FemaleFan01.prp, *GlobalClothing_District_MaleFan01.prp

2: In the Actions Library on the left. Find "Move Finder Items to Trash” and drag it to the window on the right.
no options, it deletes the two files from previous action. (make sure the action above has the correct files)

3: In the Actions Library on the left. Find "Launch Application” and drag it to the window on the right.
In the drop down select your Myst Online .app

Save this workflow as an application
File Format: Application

Hope it makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:38 pm 

Thank you Stone.
I've made an "Application" and it works fine.

after I quit MOUL I get this message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
runtime error
R6025
-pure virtual function call

then a black screen for some seconds, but I guess that is nothing to care about

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Automator.app did not work for me.

I am on Mac OS 10.6.8, Automator 2.1.1 using the Cider wrapper. I created the Automator application just as described in the former post.

When I run the Automator it repeatedly launches multiple Uru Updater windows. Any ideas?

I would love to get this working!

--sky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ainia, I just want to thank you for posting your 'fix', it worked a treat and I will know now in future if it happens again. But how on earth did you know it was these two files that were causing the problem?

Member of MystiTech Productions

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shoah Iteyn63, and you're welcome!

I talked in some detail about troubleshooting this problem in the Linux/Mac stack dump thread starting here; the solution I figured out is posted farther down the page here (though Christian Walther beat me to posting about it :); in my case, I wound up comparing a freshly installed MOULa version with a freshly updated one file by file and found the difference to be the two files listed).

Bottom line was that I was desperate for my Cavern "fix", had plenty of unplanned time on my hands and was determined to find my way back in! :P

I don't know why the problem is peculiar to the Cider wrapper, but assume Cider is less tolerant of internal errors than Windows and Wineskin (i.e., the presence of the two files which were not rolled back out properly). These rogue files *should* be present in all flavors of MOULa once the initial update finishes (Windows version and Mac/Linux Wineskin too), yet we Cider folk seem to be the only ones experiencing the problem.

BTW, I am using the dat folder alias suggestion made by korovev and re-delete these files each time I play. Sadly, we don't have a true solution at hand but I'm happy to deal with an inconvenient workaround in the meanwhile... At least I can get my Cavern "fix" as needed and participate in the holiday events! :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
in my case, I wound up comparing a freshly installed MOULa version with a freshly updated one file by file and found the difference to be the two files listed

Good thinking, Ainia. My bit of good thinking, when I was trying to log on with a friend today, was to check the forum to see if anyone else had had this problem. :lol:

Ainia wrote:
BTW, I am using the dat folder alias suggestion made by korovev and re-delete these files each time I play. Sadly, we don't have a true solution at hand but I'm happy to deal with an inconvenient workaround in the meanwhile... At least I can get my Cavern "fix" as needed and participate in the holiday events! :D

Yeah I saw that suggestion. Do you mean you do the update and then, before you try to log on as one of your avatars you go in and delete those two files again?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Iteyn63,

If the two files are present when you start MOULa (i.e. double-click the app), then the login will fail (at least for most of us Cider/Mac folks). So you can either delete the files just before you start MOULa or just after you quit MOULa (in order to be ready for next time).

There are two intervals where MOULa updates itself: the first is at the initial MOULa welcome splash screen (before you log in with your account/password), the second is after you log in and get to the spinning books with the progress bar. It's at this second update interval where the two rogue files are downloaded. And it's at the end of this interval where the login process can fail with a stack dump. (That is, you can't get to the avatar selection screen when it fails.)

Happily, although MOULa continues to re-download these two files at the second interval, we can still play MOULa successfully after it does so (whew!!). So the critical bit in the login process appears to be getting through the *first* interval *without* the rogue files present. I'm sure there's someone more knowledgable than me out there who can explain exactly what goes wrong and why (server handshaking? internal consistency self-checks?). The hope is this will all be moot whenever the next update is rolled out.

I have not tried to delete the files *while* MOULa is attempting to update/load (doing such things makes me nervous), so I don't know if that approach would work. Theoretically, I suppose it would, but I see it as being unnecessarily risky to mess with MOULa's innards while it's running.

Does this answer your question?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes indeed, thanks! At the very least I'm going to make that alias to the desktop shortcut to cut out the getting-to-the-files malarkey we Mac users have to go through each time to find the files.

Ever since I had a new hard disk put in and was updated to Mountain Lion it seems that I have to go through an attempted log-in twice in any case, but at least I can still get in the game. Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
Shorah everyone,

For those like me who don't care for the two available Wineskin versions (they both have significant audio problems), there is a kludgy workaround for the Cider wrapper:

• Go to your Myst Online application
  • Select it, right click and choose Show Package Contents
  • Go to Contents/Resources/Myst Online
  • Right click Myst Online and choose Show Package Contents
  • Go to Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/dat/
  • Find and delete these two files:
    GlobalClothing_District_FemaleFan01.prp
    GlobalClothing_District_MaleFan01.prp
  • Go back to your Mac Myst Online application, double-click and login as usual

Thank you so MUCH, I haven't been able to get URU running for a month on any of our macs and now, it finally has made it past the Stack Error and I am playing it right now!!!!

That is such a simple solution too for the people who aren't tech experts. Thank you so much again :D

-Estari :D

"beauty behond treasures, is light before your eyes"

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
Shorah everyone,

For those like me who don't care for the two available Wineskin versions (they both have significant audio problems), there is a kludgy workaround for the Cider wrapper:

• Go to your Myst Online application
  • Select it, right click and choose Show Package Contents
  • Go to Contents/Resources/Myst Online
  • Right click Myst Online and choose Show Package Contents
  • Go to Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/dat/
  • Find and delete these two files:
    GlobalClothing_District_FemaleFan01.prp
    GlobalClothing_District_MaleFan01.prp
  • Go back to your Mac Myst Online application, double-click and login as usual

Massive, massive, massive thanks to you for this. I have just been into the cavern on my iMac (Mavericks) for the first time thanks to this fix for the stack dump. I love this community and the help they give to fellow players in sorting out tech problems. This means I can now (finally) attend any future events (or announcements) - regarding Obduction in particular- live, in the cavern. Thank you, you've made an old man very happy.

and ...

uʍop ǝpısdn ʇsod uɐɔ l 'sǝʎ

Ki # : 02037973

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next