It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:13 pm 

Hi. I'm really new, (only played about an hour so far). I'm liking what I see so far. I played the original Myst when it first came out and after much hair pulling, finally finished it after about a year. :)

I have a question about the camera controls in 3rd person. Is there a way to get the camera to follow behind me like most games I've played? I get motion sickness if I spend too much time in first person, but third person is very difficult to control for me. I tried searching but couldn't find anything besides discussions about possible changes from years ago.

But I saw a youtube video of a guy showing jumping, he was in 3rd person, and it appeared that the camera stayed behind him and always faced where he was facing without drifting.

Am I missing something in the settings? Thanks in advance. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:07 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Hmm... I think you're asking if the 3rd person camera can be made to stay fixed directly behind you at all time rather than swinging about on occasion (rather than asking how you get a 3rd person view at all)? The answer is "not really" - there are certain zones that are predefined to make the camera move and there are usually reasons for doing that, e.g. so that you can see that there's something in front of you that you need to operate, or because the position you're in would put the camera on the wrong side of a rock face meaning you'd see nothing (that can still happen in the odd place though). Other times its maybe just for "cinematic effect" or when an animated sequence plays (walking through a doorway).

One thing you can do is use the scroll wheel on the mouse to move the camera closer to the back of your avatar's head, which might reduce the tendency for the camera to move quite as often.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hello T'kaya and welcome!

When you first enter the game, you have a 3rd person view of yourself and the world, as you said. You can go into a 1st person view of the world (can't see yourself, except maybe a swinging arm when you walk or run) by hitting the F1 key near the top left corner of your keyboard.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Buddy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:59 am 

Hello and welcome T'kaya!

From what I read and understand, you want to stay in 3rd pers view which is real fine (I'm almost 100% of the time in 3rd pers myself).

What you saw in a video on YouTube must be just a small excerpt. If you saw no camera shifting during the whole length sequence of the video it's due to chance rather than special setting made by the videomaker.

Like Mac_fife said there's no "fix the camera" setting.

1) The camera "default setting" is the follow mode. There's also

...2) the Heavenly Chap (sorry the word G.o.d cannot be used) mode (camera straight up over your head, you see your head & shoulders),

...3) the Front mode (you can wave at yourself :D at least it's what I tend to do in such occasions),

...4) the Ant mode (camera strapped on an ant right beside your feet, showing a monster (you)),

and other odd modes.

There's nothing you can do to prevent the camera shift during the gameplay. It's all control by the game code itself when you enter/exit specific areas called camera zones. Like Mac_fife hinted, it would be rather odd at certain spots if the camera was always in follow mode

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:06 pm 

Hi again. :)

Thanks for the replies. After a few more hours playing, I'm starting to get used to it somewhat. It doesn't look like it will be as much of a problem as I thought at first. I'm just used to having a fixed position behind my character that doesn't drift.

The cinematic parts and periodic swinging around aren't really the problem. It's that the camera just won't stay put even when just running in open space like the desert at the cleft. I scroll in and the camera just drifts back out to a distance or sways to the sides. Feels really loose (if that's the right word.) I'm doing a lot of switching between 1st and 3rd so that helps avoid getting the motion sickness.

Anyway, like I said, I'm getting used to it and look forward to a long Myst experience. The original Myst still holds a special place in my heart so I was thoroughly tickled when I found this. Myst was my first real computer game and was largely responsible for destroying a relationship that I was well rid of. lol.

Now if I can just figure out why my Ki keeps beeping at me periodically and gets a circle with dot flashing red on the mini one, and half the time also has a circle with dot flashing in the air in front of me. lol. If I click on one of them it beeps and then goes away. Haven't found anything on that so far. So much to learn when starting a new game. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Those are Great Zero Markers. You need to collect them to help calibrate your KI.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
There's a notebook in the Bevin/Hood classroom that will show you how to use your KI. There's also a notebook in the Great Zero Observation Area (the book on the far right in the Bevin/Hood) that will better explain Great Zero Markers.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:22 am 

Thanks so much for the replies. I really appreciate it.

Since I'm on a roll for getting answers right now, I do have one more. Only one more for now, I promise. :)

I've been trying to find as much info as possible on my own, but this is another I can't seem to find. While watching another youtube video, I noticed that the guy was taking pictures with his Ki and then was able to later display that picture in the upper right corner of the screen with the Ki itself closed, so he could look at it while moving things in a scope in one of the ages.

How do you display the picture without the Ki open? Thanks again, in advance. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Maybe a link to the vids you are watching might be useful here inside your posts to (us) someone that knows..I'm quite sure they are using external tools to do this stuff you see on YouTube.. Not sure, but just thinking...

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Without seeing that video. It sounds like that was done when he edited the video and can not be done in the game. But.....
All the pictures you take are saved to your computer. So if you play the game in windowed mode. You can open the photo in a separate application and have both on your screen at the same time.

I'm not at my PC. Maybe someone can jump in and point you to the directory where the photos are saved.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:51 pm 

In Win7 you can find KI pics via Start button -> Documents -> Uru Live -> KIimages

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:38 pm 

Hi. The vid is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmBbAyTf0yw.

He goes to the gallery and takes pics of the clues. Then goes back to the scopes. That's where you can see him pull up the pics while adjusting the scopes. Hope it's ok posting that here in the non-spoiler section.

I've been watching some vids on a couple that are supposed to be really hard just to get an idea of how they go, then when I do them, try to remember some of what I saw. :) Seems like that pic in the corner thing would be a nice help. Or I guess I could just draw them by hand if what he was using isn't actually something available in the game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:48 pm 

Those pictures you mention were put in via a video software. You can't do that in-game. The only thing you can do is take pictures of clues and view them in your KI menu.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:49 pm 

If you have two monitors you can put the clues up on the second one. Otherwise you will have to keep tabbing back and forth. At one point you needed software like IrafanView to open the pics but I think that was corrected in a recent build.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:47 pm 

Jamie Marchant wrote:
At one point you needed software like IrafanView to open the pics but I think that was corrected in a recent build.

Yes Jamie, that was back then. It's history.

I would suggest you, T'kaya, to play in windowed mode so you can have a picture viewer open at the same time on your screen (or open it on your 2nd screen if you have that chance). This way you can see the scopes solutions more easily...unless you want to sketch it down.