It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:00 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah all,

I'm brand new to MO:UL. There is a boring story as to why it's taken me this long to get to it, but I won't go into that now. I'm very excited to finally be here though, being as Myst fan since roughly 2003.

However, upon arriving in the Cavern, I found only one person who was willing to talk to me. I didn't have my KI and at the time and when I finally did get one she'd left. I saw one other person but they wouldn't talk to me. In fact, the didn't move - I'd say they were away from the computer.

According to the KI there are about 5 other people in the game, but I couldn't find any of them and I was running around for about two hours. 5 people seems like a very small number.

Do people still visit D'ni or have I missed the boat? I also realise that being in Australia I might be playing at a time where many others are in bed, but 5 still seems like a very small amount of players.

Ki #00324282
The D'ni Art Archive

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Lehnah, yes there are still people that head down to the cavern, but as you suggested, it all depends upon the time. The best bet would be to catch the weekend crowd. Always seems good to check the city, and see if anybody is in the Guild of Greeters neighborhood. You might search the neighborhood list, clicking on sorting triangles in the Nexus to see if there are people in a specific public neighborhood.

Welcome to MOULa, and I hope you stay a long time. There are still some who have been around since 2003, through Prologue, the end of Prologue, Until Uru, D'mala Shard, Game Tap MOUL, and for the last three years, MOULa. There are probably a lot like me that don't make it to the cavern as much as we used to, but I'm not planning on going anywhere. I had several good Uru friends from Australia, but haven't seen them for some years.

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:18 am 

Shorah Lehnah,

Can I ask you a simple question? When you looked into your KI, where were those 5 explorers listed? I bet they were listed under "Neighbors".

You might or might not have played URU offline, your "boring" story doesn't tell... (BTW... no story is boring :wink: , you should maybe give it a try and let us decide if it's "indeed" boring or surely not boring)

In MOULa, you have access to 3 lists: the age players, the buddies, & the neighbors.

The age players' list is the list of all players currently in the same age as you.
The buddies' list is an unique list which has to be filled out by you. You can add people there by typing: "/buddy [ageplayer name]".
The neighbors' list is the list of all people assigned to the same neighborhood as you.

That 3rd list can be changed but when you first create a new avatar, you'll always be assigned to a specific neighborhood, a numerical D'ni Hood. It is made of the last 20 explorers having created an avatar. When the 21st avatar is created, it will be assigned to a whole new hood, and so on...

The way to change that list is to change hood affiliation. You can ask how by meeting explorers online.

So the big picture is:

1) You were assigned to a XYZ D'ni numerical hood and you had at least 5 connected hood members. They might be away of their computers or they might also be clueless of what that list meant. You always have to assume that most will be newbies or they might not have taken their KIs yet.

2) You desperately want to meet some explorers in the Cavern. The game is still active and the community is still alive as you can see on this forum. The thing is, explorers won't come to you at first, you will need to go meet them. Nothing to worry, the new hoods are not a place where old explorers hang out except some helpers that might go there from time to time. To meet other explorers, you should reach the public D'ni-Ae'gura (reachable inside the Nexus). You need a KI (which device you have) and a Nexus book. You can find one in the book room inside your Neighborhood. Once you get in that book once (by linking), it will be on your Relto's bookshelves (the yellow book). Just choose the "Ferry Terminal" link under the City Links section.

Good Luck with the remaining. Feel free to ask newbie questions on the forum or online, people are for the most part very friendly and helpful.

Have good time exploring & meeting explorers :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:24 am 

@Lehnah: I also sent this to you as a PM accidently. Sorry about that!!! :oops:

Greetings and shorah!

The number of folks in cavern waxes and wanes thoughout the day/week. It's likely your Ki was registering "neighbors" if you belong to a newer hood...Although there are times there are only 5 or so people in city. I can tell you when I visted earlier today, I had about 4 neighbors registering myself, 12 people in city proper, 1 in Kirel, plus another handful or two in 3-4 Hoods. (Magic Worlds, 2 Newer Hoods, plus Guild of Robots...Not sure if I should count OHBot or not.)

Not sure if this really helps answer your question or not....but checkout the GoMe website.

I'm trying to update the calendar, so hopefully, you be more liekly to find other explorers during the times events are still heald. Last night, for instance, the CavernTours host 6 or 7 people, I believe.

I pray all this answered your question somewhat...Oh, and be careful of the difference between the "public" and "private" instance of the city....aka, link via the Nexus instead of the bookshelf linking book.

Hope this helps!
-Nev'yn, Cavern Crier/Archivist
http://www.guildofmessengers.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the help folks, that does clear some stuff up.

Quote:
Welcome to MOULa, and I hope you stay a long time.

I intend to. As well as being new to MO:UL, this is actuly the ONLY game I've gone on-line with. I'm not a huge fan of online/ multiplayer games, I much prefer the solo experience. But my love of Myst, and of exploring its Ages, is so strong I just had to come. Without sounding to much like a crackpot, Myst had and has a very strong impact on me.

Quote:
Can I ask you a simple question? When you looked into your KI, where were those 5 explorers listed? I bet they were listed under "Neighbors".

Yes, they were. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
You might or might not have played URU offline, your "boring" story doesn't tell... (BTW... no story is boring :wink: , you should maybe give it a try and let us decide if it's "indeed" boring or surely not boring)

I have played URU offline, several times, including the To D'ni and Path of the Shell expansions. As for the boring story, it goes like this; When URU launched I lived with my parents who live in a country area. This means that the only internet we had was satellite. URU had some issues with satellite so it never worked. I've only lived away from home for the last two years, but it's only been this year that I've had a stable, reliable internet connection. So, basically, due to the limitations of the technology where I was living meant I couldn't access MO:UL.

Thanks again for all the help. Good to see things are still going. I've one more question; what does "KI time" equate to? I realise it's in 24 hour, but to what surface hours does it relate?

Ki #00324282
The D'ni Art Archive

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:27 am 

Lehnah wrote:
I've one more question; what does "KI time" equate to? I realise it's in 24 hour, but to what surface hours does it relate?

It is based on the location of the Cleft, which was revealed to be in the state of New Mexico, in the USA-- the KI time is based on the US's 'Mountain' time zone, which is 7 hours behind Greenwich Mean time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Great. Thanks for clearing that up. Ok, one more question (hope I'm not imposing :D ); apart from here and the MystCommunity forums (which seem pretty quite themselves) are there any other fan sites/forums/ etc worth checking out?

Ki #00324282
The D'ni Art Archive

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Just came back from the Cavern and finally met some people. Woot. Was a lot of fun.

I'm wondering, is Uru Blogs still going (last update there is from June 23, last year) and do people still post Uru/ exploration journals? I'd really like to do one myself, but not sure if anyone would be interested nowadays... :roll:

Also, is it possible to extract the journals you write in-game? I've found the folder in My Docs with the KI (or is it "Ki"?) images, but there seems to be no record of the journal text.

Ki #00324282
The D'ni Art Archive

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:31 pm 

Hello Lehnah...

And Very Welcome to URU... a World of Magic (some sort of magic or another, anyways...)

And Yes. I think there's a lot of Newcomers that still Explore, as well as we older "veterans". But as to how find "us": When you Link through a Nexus Station (anywhere in URU) you can check in the different Link Lists where there are people. There are 5 Links to the Public City (the Nexus Stations in the City, at those you also see the current population in the City) but also to Kirel (where we have monthly All Guilds Meetings at start of every month. those are usually crowded and a good way to get In-game Info) and the (public) Watchers Pub. And if you click on the Hood Name List, you get the most populated Hood at top.

Also, there are Weekly held events. You can have a peek at URU Forums (under Events). For example on Thursdays Janeerah has had a group gathering, visiting different Ages (with some Magic Touches added to them). And there are Guided Age Tours, some impromptu Door Runs (in the Hood Garden Ages) etc. And there's DMR Music events, we've had some "sporting events" and some things are in planning.

Reg. the Journals... hmm. I've written Journal entries in other versions of URU. So not sure, but if you write anything in a KI Message, you can copy that to your "clipboard" and re-save the text. Just put the marker at end of text in the Message, use Ctrl+C and use arrows to get to the start of text and voila, paste it into a text doc. Works also the other way around, copy & paste from a text doc. into "chat" or a KI Message. Thanx for implementing that function into URU goes to the tirelessly working wiz-kids of URU Community!

And like Nev'yn anoted, our GoMe's Calendar is always a good source for Info too.

Have Fun Exploring!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:04 pm 

Maybe also worth mentioning is the fact that text chat does not travel infinite. By that I mean that what you say at the ferry terminal may not be "heard" at the other end of the city; that can also be a reason why people don't react.

Two KI commands that might help you:

Code:
/shout [insert the utterance you want to make]

This will transmit that single utterance age-wide.
Code:
/autoshout

Toggles that any utterance is transmitted age-wide or just a certain radius. (you get a short message in the text window if you just toggled it on/off.

As for the five neighbours that didn't respond - you can't know if they already got their KI. Without it, they actually can't answer :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:19 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Shorah and welcome, Lehnah!

Just a quick correction to Annabelle's post: it's /addbuddy [player's name or KI number].

There's another Australian in MOULa who goes by the name "morning satelite" (yes, that's how she spelled it). If I recall correctly, she chose that name because, like you, she had to depend on a satellite connection. So, you're not alone.

MOULa works pretty much like Uru: Complete Chronicles: you use the Nexus to get to the city of Ae'gura, where you're most likely to meet people. The best time to find anyone there is roughly between 1200KI time and 1500KI. It's become known as the "D'ni Rush Hour."

You may have noticed that there are some "new" (relatively speaking) Ages you haven't seen in URU Offline: Minkata, Jalak (found in the Library), the Pod Ages (found in the Museum) and Eder Tsogal and Eder Delin (found in the Hoods). There are other surprises that I won't give away here.

Enjoy your stay!

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I think I've pretty much got the hang of things now. I'm really enjoying being back in the Cavern. :mrgreen:

Ki #00324282
The D'ni Art Archive

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:33 am 
Obduction Backer

I've another question for all you knowledgeable people. :roll:

What are good news/community/community news/etc Uru/Myst sites to keep track of? At the moment I have Cyan's official site, Guild of Messengers and UruBlogs in my RSS reader. Are there others I sould be checking out?

Thanks in advance.

Ki #00324282
The D'ni Art Archive

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:20 pm 

There's the Guild of Greeters site, as well...

http://www.guildofgreeters.com/

It's a great 'general' reference of the Cavern, including walkthroughs, info for new players, etc... although it looks like they haven't updated the 'news' page since 2010.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks!

Ki #00324282
The D'ni Art Archive