It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:34 am

All times are UTC

Did you think my "Lets Play" was well put together and or entertaining?
I thought it was entertaining and well put together. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I thought it was entertaining but not well put together. 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
I thought it was not entertaining but well put together. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I thought it wasn't good at all. 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
THAT ABSOLUTELY SUCKED WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
If there is no poll option that fits what you think, vote for this one, and comment what you think. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:58 pm 

Myst V: End of Ages Playthrough!

Don't own Myst V? or your stuck at a part in the game? Well this is the place for you! In this video you'll see Brandon from Mygamesarefun play through the first 15 minutes of Myst V, so you can get an idea of what it is like before you buy it. Also if you enjoy it, or it helps you, feel free to like or subscribe, and if you didn't like it, comment and tell us what he did wrong. Thanks -Mygamesarefun

Last edited by brano3000 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:35 am 

I've played Myst V many times. I know the game back to front and sideways.
I am watching your video, and I'd like to give you some feedback (as I am watching it)

1. You say you've never played it before, yet when you go to start a new game, you have a save position already, which the game asks if you want to overwrite, which you do. So you have played it before. Don't lie. If you gave it a try already, say so. (you did say so at about 3 mins in)

2. Your sound is not very good. It's very distorted, this could be because your mic volume is too high, but I'm not an audio expert.

3. You are talking over the intro. Don't. Let the intro play, let Atrus talk. Don't talk over the characters. Also, you sound silly doing it. It makes this hard to watch. You do say after about 4 mins you got your sound back. If that happened to me, I'd redo the whole video.

4. You were playing with point & click ... try playing with free movement. I prefer it you might too.

5. Be very careful not to come across as disrespectful to the Myst series or the characters. People will get very passionate and defend them.

6. Your sign off could be better.

This is just my honesty, please don't take this as criticism or "You MUST do it this way". Be yourself sure, but I'm just giving feedback.

You might want to watch this Let's Play for an idea of what I mean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2xgXF2M ... 702D1E8F73

Your Let's play wasn't that bad, but it could be better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Also, people tend to dislike huge writing in posts. It makes you come across as very pushy.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:17 pm 

Thanks for the advice man! I am new at this and hope to get better. And Kath thanks for the posting advice, I didn't realize that it was pushy looking, I will make it smaller next time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:41 am 

I haven't watched it but my advise to you is to contact Cyan legal about this, since "Lets Plays" are a gray area and some people don't consider them "fair use". Also this should go on the Cyan forums not the MOULa forums. (not that I'm being nitpciky)

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:04 am 

You don't need to contact Cyan legal.
I can tell you now Cyan are OK with people publishing screenshots and making videos as long as they don't make money from it or misuse the content.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:34 am 

EPISODE TWO is now out! I actually had not read the comments above before making the video, so your suggestions were not applied.. BUT! They will be applied in Episode Three! Here is episode 2!

Last edited by brano3000 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
KathAveara wrote:
Also, people tend to dislike huge writing in posts. It makes you come across as very pushy.
brano3000 wrote:
And Kath thanks for the posting advice, I didn't realize that it was pushy looking, I will make it smaller next time.
But you didn't.

Actually, it looks like a big ol' advertisement and since it was your first post, I almost reported it as such. But, since it was about something Myst/Uru, I took a wait-and-see attitude.... and, I'm still waiting to see where you go with this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:07 pm 

brano3000 wrote:
EPISODE TWO is now out! I actually had not read the comments above before making the video, so your suggestions were not applied.. BUT! They will be applied in Episode Three! Here is episode 2!

No disrespect intended, but if Ep 2 is anything like Ep 1 ... I'll pass.
If it were me, I'd redo the whole thing from the start (as I have said above), but I'm also a bit of a perfectionist.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:18 pm 

Alien you think I should just delete both and give up? Because I am getting so much Negitivity about it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:48 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I like the element of watching through the eyes of a new player and hearing their reactions. But it needs a more mature, less manic approach. No "stalker" comments and so forth. Think of how a director does commentary. Calmly explain your decisions and how you reason out the puzzles according to the story as it is presented to you. That would be interesting. Think of what viewers want to see, like a tour guide. I would have liked the awesome Descent soundtrack for the elevator ride respected because it's one of my favorite pieces. Allow momentary music and character monologues to be heard completely so that we can follow along with the story. Remember that this is more about the story and the game than just watching you. A historical background discussion would help, though it's perfectly understandable that a new player might be discovering it for the first time; it's part of the charm.

Just for a comparison, I watched another's tour through the original Myst. It was somewhat the same so maybe this is just how it's often done, but folks here are generally core fans and will be more demanding, so that needs some consideration.

Don't quit. Just listen and learn. Otherwise it won't truly be your first time through on your next try. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
KathAveara wrote:
brano3000 wrote:
And Kath thanks for the posting advice, I didn't realize that it was pushy looking, I will make it smaller next time.
But you didn't.

Actually, it looks like a big ol' advertisement and since it was your first post, I almost reported it as such. But, since it was about something Myst/Uru, I took a wait-and-see attitude.... and, I'm still waiting to see where you go with this.

I reported this thread a few days ago as spam because it's rudely shouting a URL at me. Unfortunately, since the moderators retired, reports are somewhat slow to be dealt with.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:23 am 

brano3000 wrote:
Alien you think I should just delete both and give up? Because I am getting so much Negitivity about it.

I did not say give up, I said redo ... that is not giving up.
redoing something, is knowing or seeing flaws you know you could do better and taking the trouble to do it better.
It's a choice only you can make, I can't make that choice for you. It's your version of the Let's Play, not mine. If you are happy with it how it is, that is your choice.
All I have said is that if I were doing it and saw those flaws, I'd start again and try to do it better.