It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:03 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:00 pm 

So, work has been slow lately and the yucky weather is making me restless and in a bad mood. Everyone else on the Internet seems to be feeling the same way so I've been largely avoiding it. :(

What I need is an adventure! In addition to starting the Myst series (yay!), I love Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider, and started campaigning at an indoor exhibit called "Adventure" at COSI here in Ohio. (There's at least one old thread on here about it. Totally worth looking into!) But I still can't get enough! Does anyone have a good recommendation for a gritty, high-energy, suspenseful, puzzle-filled, Indiana-Jones-esque novel? (Or any one of those, it doesn't have to fit all the criteria!) I'm especially open to books that may not be mainstream. I've been into the Napoleonic Wars and have been reading the Aubrey/Maturin, Horatio Hornblower, and Hayden series, as well as historical fiction by Bernard Cornwell and Charles Price, if that helps give some indication of my mood. (I also recommend them to any history/action buffs out there!) Any other suggestions? What puts you in a spirited, adventurous mood?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Have you read _Bridge of Birds_? (Barry Hughart.) It's a mystery, high-energy, suspenseful, puzzle-filled, and has a good bit of action. (But not gritty.) Also historical, or pseudo-historical -- it's set in ancient fairy-tale China.

_The Lies of Locke Lamora_, Scott Lynch. Caper/heist novel set in a fantasy city resembling Venice. That's got grit, if you're into grit. Also blood. People die.

In a completely different vein: _The Long Run_, Daniel Keys Moran. Also about a thief, but in SF-future America. He runs, and also steals things.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

A SF classic, the Planet of Adventure tetralogy by Jack Vance, starting with City of the Chasch. A guy crash-land on a planet inhabited by four not-quite-friendly alien species and their human slaves, and has to find a way to stay alive and get back home.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:41 am 

Excellent! Another friend also recommended "Locke Lamora"- I'll definitely have to check that one out! And looking at the "Planet of Adventure" site you linked here, Korovev, it definitely looks like it'll give Star Trek a run for its money.

Thank you for the recommendations! I'm excited to read them!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:10 am 

I believe janaba would recommend the Dresden Files as very "Indiana Jones"-like, if with supernatural overtones.

Just read them in order, as my personal recommendation. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is interesting that you would mention me, Nev'yn ... I actually didn't know the 'Dresden Files' by Jim Butcher(also author of the 'Codex Alera' series) by now and had just looked them up to see what those were all about ... :P

In general this is all very interesting and taking place in the supernatural and magical realms indeed, though it seems more in the obscure in-between worlds resp. more dark astral planes etc. ... It is good to know of all of this, that there's just more (oh, so much more lol) to this our illusionary superficial existence, but I don't know if I'd read those books, maybe watching the film (it seems to be in the making or already out?) or so ... :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:47 pm 

janaba1 wrote:
It is good to know of all of this, that there's just more (oh, so much more lol) to this our illusionary superficial existence, but I don't know if I'd read those books, maybe watching the film (it seems to be in the making or already out?) or so ... :D

According to Jim Butcher's website, "The Dresden Files" was made into a one-shot TV series. I haven't watched it yet (I'm one of those read-the-book-first people) but it definitely looks like it'll be worth checking into!

Nev'yn, I started the Dresden Files yesterday, actually, after two friends recommended them to me. I'm glad to see another fan- it just solidifies that this series will be a good one! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Dresden Files books are lots of fun. I wouldn't call them *good* until about book 3 -- the author takes a while to figure out what he's doing. But he's up to 14 now, so, hey, that's ten or eleven good books in the series. :)

(The TV show was promising though imperfect. Pity it didn't last. But the lead actor is currently stealing the show on _Arrow_, as far as I'm concerned. So that's something.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]